DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

UP/WI Boarder-Sylvania Wilderness Backcountry Camp near Watersmeet-June 12th-14th

I was planning a little solo outing to decompress at the end of the school year, and made the mistake of telling people about it. Now I have three ground-dwellers tagging along. Oh well, they're all nice guys. Anyway, I figured I would cast the net wide as long as I have company and see if any hangers wanted to come along, even if it isn't a specifically planned hammock outing. We have room for two more people at the campsites (assuming all of the ground-dwellers make it).

We plan to leave Iron Mountain bright and early Friday, because they make you make you watch a leave-no-trace video at the visitor's center before you camp there. Then there's a 6 mile hike to the first camp site. The next day there's a 10 mile trek to next camp site, and then a short hike out on Sunday. I'll post a link to the location below.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/sy...O&parkId=75414
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly / Hamarak
    Insulation
    HG/WM
    Suspension
    Cinch/Dutch
    Images
    Where sites are you camping at in Sylvania?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I was planning on starting at the trailhead by drone lake, hiking to the Mallard sites on the first day, then I have Maple 1 reserved for night 2. The Mallards are first come first served. I've never been there before, so I hope it's a good plan! Taking a closer look at the map, I would say it is maybe 7 miles both days. That should leave plenty of time for hanging around camp and admiring the lakes.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If anyone has experience there and wants to offer advice, I'd be glad to hear it!

Robert Service

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Not too much advice can think of, real easy hiking and terrain. Campsites are massive. If you're going down the west side of Clark to Maple there can be a couple of really, really wet areas you have to navigate. However by June they may have dried out some, we were there mmm early May. The Mallard sites are ok but I prefer the Loon site that is a bit further down the trail. The campsite is up on a hill but there are a plethora of really nice hanging sites down by the cedars next to the lake.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Sorry I read over that you were coming in the Drone Lake trailhead. All those wet areas I mentioned are north of the maple sites so you shouldn't have to deal with those.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Thanks. We actually will have to deal with those areas, since I was planning on doing the loop around Clark Lake. If we get to Mallard early, maybe we will head to Loon.

Robert Service

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Oh well this is what I was talking about then. Hopefully it's improved. This is my friend from work trying an alternate dryer route than the one I attempted. This was May 7th of last year.
    sylvania1.jpgsylvania2.jpg

My brother and I are going in mid July for a week. Our plan is to canoe to Mountain Lake and I think it's Bear 1 we have reserved.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Bringing this thread back out, rather than starting a new one...

I've had Sylvania on my radar for like 10 years... initially, I planned to canoe up there with a roommate years ago and it never happened, now I'm thinking maybe my wife and I should head up there for hiking and hanging. Can you guys give me some ideas on decent hikes and sites to hang at? We have no idea when we'll be going, sometime in 2016, I'd estimate late spring. It's either that or we stick to doing segment hikes of the Ice Age Trail.... I suppose, if we do that, we can bring the dog along and it doesn't cost nightly fees...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast