Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    Supa fly ;)
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question Anyone used FX Down?

In my research for down distributers, I came across these guys. They sell pretty much every type of down us DIYers like to use. But I saw they've made this FX Down as a cheaper alternative to down, but a better alternative to synthetics. So really the best of both worlds it seems. So I was wondering if anyone has tried this stuff out?! I have an e-mail into them right now for quotes, but if there's a minimum order quantity maybe I'll try to set up a group buy if anyone is interested. Or just resell it? We will find out.

http://tech.alliedfeather.com/fxdown.html

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    In order to purchase directly from Allied you need to have a reseller number, as they are a wholesaler only and don't collect tax on their product.

It's also very new. I don't know of anywhere it's being used in the outdoor industry. Maybe home bedding? I don't know.

Looks like it's supposed to be equivalent to 700FP?

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    Supa fly ;)
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oh that makes sense, maybe if there's enough interest RSBTR could check it out?(Since they already do business with allied) But the 700FP question I'm not sure. I think you can have it catered to best suit your needs with the synth-down mixture.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I messed around with one of the down alternatives....not this stuff as we won't do anything with that company.... after some serious testing I decided it was not a suitable choice for anything we want down in. It is more or less shredded synthetic fibers. The fibers want to hold together and you can pull it apart by hand when working with it but with any compression at all it will clump back together. In a quilt that you pack up trying to get the fibers to spread out and fill the full area like actual down does was next to impossible. In a sock it just wadded up in a ball under the foot...not spread out like down does. When you pat a down quilt you instantly spread out the individual plumes but not with this stuff. If you were using it in a pillow (the intended use) then you pack it so full that it can't go anywhere. But in a down style quilt where you don't pack it so tight that there is no way for it to clump, well I think you get my point.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    Supa fly ;)
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I messed around with one of the down alternatives....not this stuff as we won't do anything with that company.... after some serious testing I decided it was not a suitable choice for anything we want down in. It is more or less shredded synthetic fibers. The fibers want to hold together and you can pull it apart by hand when working with it but with any compression at all it will clump back together. In a quilt that you pack up trying to get the fibers to spread out and fill the full area like actual down does was next to impossible. In a sock it just wadded up in a ball under the foot...not spread out like down does. When you pat a down quilt you instantly spread out the individual plumes but not with this stuff. If you were using it in a pillow (the intended use) then you pack it so full that it can't go anywhere. But in a down style quilt where you don't pack it so tight that there is no way for it to clump, well I think you get my point.
    Yeah, I'm tracking. That makes sense at least now we have some input from someone who has tried it or something similar I should say.

• + New Posts