Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Hangs near Madison, WI?

Hey HF dudes and dudettes,

This one is aimed specifically at the Midwesterners on the forums, and more specifically, the 'sconnies.

I've the opportunity to squeeze in an overnight hang before a day of business meetings in Madison, Wisconsin. Ideal locations have enough trees from which to hang my hammock, and are no more than an hour's drive from the Sun Prairie/Madison area.

Not looking for anything more than a hanger-friendly state park (won't have time for hiking or otherwise).

Would much appreciate your help and look forward to hearing any suggestions you can toss my way!

Cheers,

Eric

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Well the most popular state park in Wisconsin is Devil's Lake State Park which is under an hour northwest of Madison if you're looking for car camping. Kettle Moraine South is about 45 minutes south east and one of my favorite state parks when I lived south. However its hiking in to shelters for the most part though I think there is a campground within the park somewhere. Blue Mound State Park is a nice little park closer than the other two to the west but I'm not sure about the hanging. Also Lake Kegonsa is a small but quaint park that has decent hanging just south of Madison between McFarland and Stoughton.

Thank you kindly for the tips, sir!

Been to Devil's Lake more times than I have thumbs, so, thrice.

Mirror Lake's campgrounds are perfect for hanging, but again, someplace I've been before.

Kettle Moraine, however, would be a first - and sounds like you've the same question I do: are there campsites that don't require remote parking and hiking in?

I'll be sure to look into Blue Mound and Lake Kegonsa - both of which new to me.

Have you, or has anyone else, ever been to New Glarus Woods State Park?

Looks about an hour away and has some walk-in primitive campsites - just need to make sure the rangers are cool with hangers and there're some trees from which to put up the 'ol hammock!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Robic XL single layer
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    New Glarus Woods would be my last choice, no sites in that park are more than 100 yards from busy roads. Kettle Moraine South has nice sites, most of which are not hike-in sites. I've camped at the hike-ins at Whitewater West, and they're not that far from parking areas.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Pinewoods or Ottawa lake are both car camping friendly, although Pinewoods doesn't open until some time in May.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/kms/camping.html

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Lake Kegonsa doesn't open until 5/1 and won't do me much good come 4/19. Shoot.

Pinewoods? Right, same goes.

Blue Mound's just not along my route, sad as it is to say.

Kettle Moraine looks like an awesome place to make camp, but I've already dog-eared that for when I've time to hike and get some miles in on the IAT. Trying to get a handle on how wooded or not the Ottawa Lake sites are, and there's not a whole lot of info out there. Can anyone speak to how hammock-friendly (or not) their sites are?

New Glarus hasn't a review that doesn't mention the road noise. Bummer, because I love walk-in primitive camping and the sites looked ripe for hanging.

I know Mirror Lake sets aside several sites for walk-ins only, and me being probably one of a small number of yahoos (if any) coming out to camp on a Sunday evening in early spring...means my chances have to be pretty darn good. ML is further North than I have to travel, but, at 45 minutes away from Sun Prairie (where business is the next morning), it's also the closest option and the park I'm most familiar with.
    Last edited by Eric Labanauskas; 04-12-2015 at 02:48.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Lightbulb Dunno if you're still looking for a site...

I'll throw this out there anyhow.

With all the nice weather lately, Ottawa Lake (aka OL) campground is filling up fast. Since you're looking for the afternoon and night of 4/19, the only site that both shows open and I know for sure is good for hanging is site 335. One nice thing about 335 is it has a better view of the lake than 334. Both have tons of trees. Could hang two dozen hammocks at each if they let us. However, there is a 6 people and two vehicles per site limit. (There is extra parking a few minutes walk away.) Check in is 3pm. Still open to be reserved online as of now. First site at the top of the page in this link:
    http://wisconsinstateparks.reserveam...ue&startIdx=50

You will have to call to reserve for only one night. (There is a two night minimum when booking online.) Camping fee is $14/night for non residents plus a $9.70 online reservation fee. You also need a State Park sticker. Out-of-State Daily fee is $10, Yearly sticker is $35. You can self register putting cash in an envelope then into a locked drop box if you don't buy the sticker online. From I-94 and Hwy 67, OL is a quick 9 miles down Hwy 67 with a short jog onto Hwy ZZ. The KMSF-SU Forest Headquarters is 8 miles further down Hwy ZZ with a short jog onto Hwy 59.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/admission.html
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/camping/campfees.html

Contact information
    For information, contact:
    Forest Headquarters
    S91 W39091 Highway 59
    Eagle, WI 53119
    262-594-6200

Ottawa Lake Visitor Center and Campground
    Camping Open All Year
    S59 W36530 County ZZ
    Dousman, WI 53118
    262-594-6220 (Memorial Day to Labor Day)

As with all of the Ottawa Lake and Pine Woods "walk in" sites it is less than a minute of walking, even laden with a backpack and cooler. OL has two shower buildings with flush toilets and electricity, which could be helpful before business meetings. Sites at OL from 301 to at least 335 along that outer loop all have trees and shade. Some are better than others for hanging. Pretty much any of them could be made to work with a lil creativity. 301 to 319 are nonreservable - on a first come basis. Most of the rest of OL is wide open spaces, like camping on a pool table. Yuck. One cool thing about OL is that the campground is on a plateau. Thus rain isn't much of a problem for almost all of the sites. Of course, that only matters to ground dwellers.
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/k...awacampmap.pdf

Pine Woods doesn't help you for that weekend yet I'd be remiss if I failed to mention the walk in sites 150 and 151 for anyone who gets the chance. Great trees for hanging, secluded feel, quiet... real nice. Highly recommended. Those sites are excellent examples of what all hammocking sites should be modeled after.
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/k...woodscgmap.pdf

Not familiar with New Glarus or Mirror Lake so I'm not any help on those.

Ticks are active now. Mostly Wood Ticks in SE WI which is fortunate because Deer Ticks can carry Lymes, WTs don't. Skeeters and flies are barely present... so far this year. Be sure to bring bug spray because that will change any day now.

Bummer I just found this thread. Better late than never I guess. Hope it helps. Happy Trails!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Dux, Thanks for the detailed camping info for the Madison area. I have been pouring over WI info in the last few weeks looking for a place to hang with my 12 year old son and close enough to the NW Chicago suburbs that I can abort if he gets too bored with the nature thing as he calls it.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    You're very welcome, glad it helped you. For the rest of y'all following along, it might interest ya to know that I posted more about hanging and having fun at Bong Rec Area in SE WI in a similar thread just now.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...54#post1443254
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Good info. Thanks dux and everyone else. Close to Chicago which is limited in number of good outdoor areas within a few hours drive.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast