WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

VIDEO: Standing Indian Loop (near Franklin, NC)

My daughter & I got an invite from Firebird to hit a trail that I’ve had circled in my favorite backpacking book for some time – Standing Indian Loop.
    I think I first heard of it here on the forums when I joined, and have been meaning to get there ever since.

We had a great time going with Firebird. There were many memorable & fun stories but alas not enough of these seem to find their way onto video. I’ll have to work on that.
    I do have to share one memory that is etched in my brain – the picture of Firebird riding onto his high school football field on a horse brandishing a card board sword to save a fair princess. Now picture how a horse might react to all the bright lights, noise from fans, etc. and let’s just say it’s good the fair princess (and Firebird) made it thru ok.

This trip lived up to its billing – great views on Albert Mountain & Standing Indian & a few places in between. The weather worked out great – the forecasted rain hit at night and the lows didn’t get quite as low as projected. Lot of thru hikers on the trail, along with section hikers & weekend hikers. I stopped counting after 30 one day.

Here’s some trip data for anybody considering the trail:
    Location: The loop is near Franklin, NC – generally south of the Smokey’s.
    Start: We started near the Standing Indian Campground at the Backcountry Information kiosk
    Trails: (clockwise) Long Branch -> AT Southbound (at Glassmine Gap)-> to Kimsey Creek (at Deep Gap)->back to the start.
    Distance: 24 miles total, per day 7.65, 12.64, and 3.6
    Camped one night at Betty Creek; second night at Kimsey Creek

Oh, and I’m using a new camera, and of course I noticed the lens had a smudge on it when i started looking at the footage. Such is life.
    I also filmed this at 60fps (by accident), so if the YouTube quality seems off, let me know.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    We might have to leave it to the judges, but that looked to me like a four hundred and sixteen thousand, five hundred and six point seven spit length test, spit drop, off that fire tower. Very nice Huck-T technique there too. Must have had lessons to be that good so early. Keep training and we may have our first Hammock Forums world Huck-t, Spit Test Champ.

Very nice view from up there, nice day to go with it. I liked that tree with the rocks - nifty. It would be nice if I had a sign, or two, around here that said, "easiest." The time lapse moving clouds looked good! It looked like a very interesting hike. You seem to be pretty good at planning hikes, TallPaul! Thanks for the video!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Another great video, Paul! I've done that loop several times and it's one of my favorites in the SE. I am surprised that you didn't have any bear activity, the last time we hiked it in the spring we missed the bears by one site each night. We'd get to a shelter and the people would say "have you gotten hit by a bear yet?". Never saw one. I think he was following the AT Thru Hikers. Having done Albert both ways, you definitely picked the right way.

I loved your Daughter's attitude, my own Daughter hiked with me from middle school to the end of college. It is a great memory that you will both share for the rest of your lives! You are still a brave man to let her do the driver training on the way home, though. Just kidding!

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks like you had an awesome time along with beautiful scenery. Loved the closing shots. And yes, the memories are the best part of it all

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    We might have to leave it to the judges, but that looked to me like a four hundred and sixteen thousand, five hundred and six point seven spit length test, spit drop, off that fire tower. Very nice Huck-T technique there too. Must have had lessons to be that good so early. Keep training and we may have our first Hammock Forums world Huck-t, Spit Test Champ.

Very nice view from up there, nice day to go with it. I liked that tree with the rocks - nifty. It would be nice if I had a sign, or two, around here that said, "easiest." The time lapse moving clouds looked good! It looked like a very interesting hike. You seem to be pretty good at planning hikes, TallPaul! Thanks for the video!
    Thanks Brucie! I'm sure she will appreciate your comments on her fine spitting technique. We practice it often, as you never know when you might be called in to perform the test. If we are ever in Australia, she'll be set on trying it out on Mt. Barney.
    And I've never seen any of your trails that looked 'easiest'. The problem with these signs is when you do hit a hill, you feel like you've been duped. "They said easiest!". And Firebird didn't offer to sherpa my pack, so I just had to grumble to myself about false advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Another great video, Paul! I've done that loop several times and it's one of my favorites in the SE. I am surprised that you didn't have any bear activity, the last time we hiked it in the spring we missed the bears by one site each night. We'd get to a shelter and the people would say "have you gotten hit by a bear yet?". Never saw one. I think he was following the AT Thru Hikers. Having done Albert both ways, you definitely picked the right way.

I loved your Daughter's attitude, my own Daughter hiked with me from middle school to the end of college. It is a great memory that you will both share for the rest of your lives! You are still a brave man to let her do the driver training on the way home, though. Just kidding!

Sweeper
    Looking back, we really didn't see any animals including bears. We camped in areas that were off the beaten path, so that might have been part of it. The bears were probably hanging out with the thru hikers in the shelters

It's great hearing you were able to share similar experiences with your daughter - we are blessed ! And I can see why you go here multiple times - it's a great loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Looks like you had an awesome time along with beautiful scenery. Loved the closing shots. And yes, the memories are the best part of it all
    Appreciate it OMS

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Wow, amazing trip & video as always! Thanks for the "invite."

My daughter, the same age, is starting to lose interest in Dad-time like this. Ahh, great memories though. Take every moment you can get!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Looking back, we really didn't see any animals including bears. We camped in areas that were off the beaten path, so that might have been part of it. The bears were probably hanging out with the thru hikers in the shelters
    Well, I didn't mention that we had one incident that was pretty funny on our last Standing Indian Loop - we had heard about the bears and decided to do a serious bear bagging exercise. Our Senior member of the Corps, Rickety, who has hiked the entire AT, took the lead and rigged the bear bag. It was supposed to rain, so he placed a large black trash bag over everything to keep it reasonably dry. He did such a fine job rigging it that he got it stuck the next morning. The only way we were able to get it down was to tie a knife to a long sapling and spear the trash bag and cut away the line. Of course this occurred in a driving rain storm! It is now known in the annals of the Corps of Insanity as "the great Mastodon hunt". We finally got the food down, but the trash bag is still hanging there to the best of my knowledge. Being LNT hikers, we were mortified. It was only later that Rickety admitted that he never used bear bags unless there was a pre-made bear bagging system available!
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dl, Traveler
    Tarp
    wb mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    strap
    Thanks for sharing
    always enjoy your trip reports

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Good to see a daughter sharing time with her ol' man or vice versa....
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Well, I didn't mention that we had one incident that was pretty funny on our last Standing Indian Loop - we had heard about the bears and decided to do a serious bear bagging exercise. Our Senior member of the Corps, Rickety, who has hiked the entire AT, took the lead and rigged the bear bag. It was supposed to rain, so he placed a large black trash bag over everything to keep it reasonably dry. He did such a fine job rigging it that he got it stuck the next morning. The only way we were able to get it down was to tie a knife to a long sapling and spear the trash bag and cut away the line. Of course this occurred in a driving rain storm! It is now known in the annals of the Corps of Insanity as "the great Mastodon hunt". We finally got the food down, but the trash bag is still hanging there to the best of my knowledge. Being LNT hikers, we were mortified. It was only later that Rickety admitted that he never used bear bags unless there was a pre-made bear bagging system available!
    I'm sure Rickety will never live that done . That is one of my worries with hanging food.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhang View Post
    Thanks for sharing
    always enjoy your trip reports
    Appreciate you giving it a view flyhang

Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    Good to see a daughter sharing time with her ol' man or vice versa.... 1:
    Thanks - I enjoy our time in the woods together. And yes it is old man, at least that's what those steep hills are telling me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast