Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Second DIY Project, SilNylon Tarp Help

Hello all,

So I've already had a very successful time with making a climashield top quilt using one of Thru-Hiker's quilt kits. The quilt came out great and wasn't all that difficult at all. Yesterday I just ordered 8 yards (by 59" wide) of 1.1 oz SilNylon from Ripstopbytheroll. I am planning on making this tarp to be 12 feet across the ridgeline or barely under 12 feet which should basically be splitting my 8 yards in half. I am not totally settled on the overall design of the tarp, so what would be the benefits of making it a hex tarp, or a catenary cut tarp? If I used one of these shapes, would the scraps left over be enough to be used as the reinforcements for where the webbing loops will be for tie outs? Otherwise, what types of fabric should I use for the reinforcement points for the tarp tie-outs? I am going to be placing an order from Dutch in a week or so, so whatever I may need hopefully he will have and I can tack on to my order. From Ripstopbytheroll I bought the silnylon, 1 inch polyerster webbing for the guy line tie-out points, and Lawson Reflective cordage for the guy lines. What else do I need?

Hammock
    DIY Dual Layer 1.8oz Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest ProLite
    Suspension
    Straps 'n' Toggle
    I was initially scared to do catenary cuts and they were a little bit of a pain to hem (but not horrible). When I finally pitched my tarp I knew I had made the right decision. The cuts keep the tarp tight. I can't speak to the hex tarp as I made DIYGearSupply's Winter Tarp. The scraps will be plenty to make the reinforcements. As far as what else you need I assume that you have thread and you'll need some silicone sealant for the ridgeline if you are using silnylon. Have fun!

"Be excellent to each other!" ~Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    A cat cut hex is undoubtedly the most popular design for a hammock tarp and with good reason, it provides ample coverage and protection for 3 season use (or 4 with careful site selection) with a minimal weight penalty. Cat cuts aren't too difficult to sew, just don't pull the fabric tight otherwise you'll get uneven stitches and twisted hems.
    The scraps will work fine as reinforcement. You will probably even have enough after that to make a couple of stuff sacks.
    Imo 1 inch webbing is serious overkill for tie outs, I usually use 1/2" grosgrain and it is plenty strong enough + you could get some lineloc 3s from Dutch to use with your glowire for tie outs your local fabric shop will have grosgrain ribbon. Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on the grosgrain for tieouts....plenty strong enough. And +1 on the line locs, so easy to use. Cat cuts take the slack out of the pitch and are worth the minimal trouble, IMO. I always bind the edges of my tarps with grosgrain. Adds a finished look, easier, IMO, than hemming cat cuts and I've skipped the reinforcement patches by bartacking my tieouts into the grosgrain edging. Never had a problem. Some would say that adding the grosgrain to the edges allows water to soak into it and you have to carry that extra weight, but I've never noticed it on my back!
    Good luck!
    Don't forget to post pics when you're finished....we love pics around here!
    My head is an animal

I don't reinforce my tieouts. I simply sandwich the silnylon between the ends of the grosgrain.

I take that back; I fold in the 4 corners (rectangle tarp) and sew the triangle then sandwich with grosgrain. The 4 bottom edge and 2 ridgeline tieouts I do not reinforce.

• + New Posts