AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by climberslacker View Post
    What made you decide against the figure 9's? And I know what your taking about, my last hang was on a 2' diameter tree!

-CS

I just didn't feel like they added anything that I could not do more simply with some good old rope skilz. If you want to do a single ridge all you need to make it super fast and simple is a few of the smallest mini biners you can find, 30 or so feet of light cord and a few prussics. Tie loops in the ends with what ever knot you like, I usually do a overhand figure 8, and put one small biner on each loop, rap the tree and clip the biner back on the running line. Then with another biner clip two prussics together like you would for a crevas rescue rig with one minding the other.

Like this (sorry camera focused in the wrong spot.)

Then you can attach your tarp how ever you wold like.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Thanks!

-CS
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinRev
    I think such as drastic move as to commandeer Easter candy over a discrediting of the Easter Buny is too extreme.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I currently have a bowline on one end of my 25 foot ridgeline (one single piece), i wrap the bowline around the tree, then run the rest of the wrapped up line through this bowline loop to secure it to the tree. Next i hold the line in my hand and walk over to the other tree, unwrapping it as i go. I wrap around the other tree and tighten with fig 9. I only use 1 fig 9 o my whole setup, that is the extend of my tarp hardware materials. i like it this way because knots are more reliable to me.
    Last edited by ikemouser; 10-06-2009 at 00:01.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    I have a 12x12 GG tarp and 1/8 amsteel blue that I want put all together with snake skins. So would 30' for the ridgeline be enough? I want it to be all in one neet package ready to deploy.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Hope this isent a hijack but it is a tarp ridge line ???...Ive watched Brandon's video as well...And with the super fly dont you just attach the two ends of the tarp to the same tree you attach you hammock to....Why do you need a ridge line running down the middle of the tarp when you can just tie the tarp to two trees...does the ridge line keep the tarp taught preventing sag...or am i missing something...take it easy on me in still learning
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Hope this isent a hijack but it is a tarp ridge line ???...Ive watched Brandon's video as well...And with the super fly dont you just attach the two ends of the tarp to the same tree you attach you hammock to....Why do you need a ridge line running down the middle of the tarp when you can just tie the tarp to two trees...does the ridge line keep the tarp taught preventing sag...or am i missing something...take it easy on me in still learning
    No worries, we are all here to keep learning more stuff everyday. There are literally dozens of ways to do everything, be it set your tarp, insulation, hammock suspension, you name it. That is what makes it hard to get a grasp on hammocks at first. #1 get out and experiment with different setups and see what you like. I tried doing a set up sort of like Brandon shows in his video initially, then I tried using the figure 9's and did not like the way they held, so I have been playing with double prussic knots on a single ridge. But I think what I will use in the end is separate lines for each side with a single prussic that then attaches to the tarp ridge tie out and slides along the line to the tree to tension.

The main reason to try different ways of setting up your tarp would be to find what system you are comfortable with and can do as fast as possible, in the cold, dark, rain, snow, hail, heat, what ever so that you can get out of the weather. Once you have done it some you can get a hammock set up in just a minute or two. But setting up a tarp usually takes a lot more practice to get set in a reasonable amount of time.

Practice that's all it takes.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a GG 12 x 12 and I made a single ridgeline with 12' tieouts, so 12' guyout, 12' ridgeline, 12' guyout = 36'

I have the setup in snakeskins and it works great, right now I have paracord and figure 9's but I have some Amsteel coming and I plan to do a minibiner / whoopie sling, with it.

I am looking for the fastest, easiest configuration for the tarp as I want to set the tarp and take my time with other things in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12