Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Z-Rest and Yeti
    Suspension
    web 'n beener
    I used a Therma Rest for 2 years, I'm now upgrading to an underquilt.

If the insulation is not breathable, you may (most likely) run into condensation issues. Especially with a piece of windshield reflector. When using my Therma Rest, the egg-crate texture would trap condensation in all those little divots, which I would shake out the next morning. But with a flat piece of reflecting material, that condensation may end up on/in your sleeping bag.

That being said, I have no experience with Relfectix, let alone in sub-30 degree temps. Condensation might not be an issue at all. But in warmer weather, definitely so.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    I took two pieces of reflectix 6 foot long, rounded the corners and taped the outsides with duct tape. Works great. We've tented and hanged this winter down to 18 degrees. I think it really helps and has held up well. Of course I sleep with the military sleep system also. Love that thing. Just have to be careful of the zippers. We're hanging tonight.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    RJC is correct. If you lay directly on a Reflectix pad in the hammock, you will get moist from the condensation even though it is warm. I keep a short piece in my Mariposa backpack sit pad pocket, and used it once inside my hammock to supplement my 40 degree Insultex under quilt when temps dropped a bit lower than expected.

It solved CBS for that night, but I felt a bit "sweaty" the next morning.

For warmer days and chilly nights I've done the following: a foam windshield reflectix thingy carries better so I've used that in the hammok. Yeah, there is some condensation but not too bad. I've also added a bit of zing-it with loops on the ends to the bottom hems of my pancho to make it an underquilt of sorts and just shove a Mylar space blanket in there. A bit noisy but surprisingly warm. I sleep cold so I always have something but both of the above have worked well bot together and separate and don't take up a lot of room in my small pack. One I add one of my real underquilts I seem to need my bigger pack.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, plus some lousy DIYs
    Tarp
    Oware
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single line cord
    AlanH, I'm curious how much you'd guess the military sleep system adds to your warmth?

MoeT, I'm trying to envision your set up. Are you layering, starting from the outside: poncho, Mylar space blanket, hammock, Reflectix, you? Is this right?

Does anybody have an experience/idea of how Reflectix compares with Plastizote or Evazote? My guess is the 'zotes' are more durable, and possibly a bit warmer. I know the R values can be referenced, but real experiences are what I'm fishing for.
    "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's deadly." -Danielle Quierca
    --Proud Papa to three budding hangers, Educator, Lover of all things Outdoors, Still Seeking, Veteran

Hammock
    WBBB XLC multicam
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20deg
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by njburg View Post
    I cut a piece of reflectix 32" wide X 6' long and knocked the corners off, it weighs the same as a Ridge Rest reg.. I've had it down in the mid 30's and been warm. I use this in my Warbonnet XLC double layer, and by cutting it 32" the pad stays in place no matter how much I roll around.
    appreciate the insight on this. I recently picked up a roll of reflectix to tinker with (I had to make a Mountain House cozy) and the roll was 16" wide. So I cut a 6' section of it, put it inbetween the layers of my double-layer WBBB-XLC, and I FELT warmer, but wasn't sure. One problem I had was it was kinda narrow (16" wide remember) - and I'm a 6'1", 230lb not-narrow kind of guy.

so I got to thinking I could cut another 6' section, tape (or heck, sew) the two together, and have a 32" wide piece to go in the XLC pocket. It winds up weighing about 8oz per 16"x6' section, so a 32" would be about 1lb - not bad, considering I've been using a 2+lb trail mattress.

after reading through this thread, I'll definitely give this a shot and post back how it works for me - I sleep 'cold' so I'm always nervous if I have enough insulation or not. I haven't yet bought a TQ / UQ setup - still using air mattress and sleeping bag. I also use my military MSS bag - the black one has kept me plenty warm down to the 30s but weighs over 4lb, the green bag is a lot lighter - 2lb iirc - but it's not a whole lot warmer than my ozark trail cocoon 250.

eventually I know I'll wind up having to get a TQ / UQ setup, but for now, definitely going to give the reflectix a try - would cut my pad weight in half if it works as well

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor Like Fire View Post
    Anyone ever try sleeping without a UQ and without a pad just some type of reflectix in the hammock? If so how cold have you gotten down n to using it?
    I have slept for quite a few nights with a double layer of 29" wide by 6ft Reflectix down to around 45*F. I was wearing a t-shirt and light cotton shorts inside an IMSS intermediate (black) bag. One of those nights was very windy and rainy, gust to around 35mph. The other nights the wind was blowing around 25mph but the air was dry. I don't think I could have gone lower than that myself. YMMV.

I have also taken a 3/4 length UQ rated to 20*F plus a TQ rated similarly down to 14*F with that double layer of Reflectix in my DL. I think that was very close to the lower limit with that set up.

The pros are that Reflectix is not going to lose air like an air mattress can, it provides pretty good insulation, and it's dirt cheap. However, it also doesn't compress much so it's at least twice, if not three times, as bulky as an air mattress.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    WB Traveler, plus some lousy DIYs
    Tarp
    Oware
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single line cord
    Silver,
    I'm a bit unclear about something: are you doubling up the reflectix so that there are two layers of it beneath you, or are you doubling up side-by-side? Thanks.
    "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's deadly." -Danielle Quierca
    --Proud Papa to three budding hangers, Educator, Lover of all things Outdoors, Still Seeking, Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Like Fire View Post
    Anyone ever try sleeping without a UQ and without a pad just some type of reflectix in the hammock? If so how cold have you gotten down n to using it?
    I have used reflectix before in conjunction with a thermarest foam pad down to the mid-30s. I'm a cold sleeper. In a sleeping bag, with thermal underwear, and wool socks, I was comfortable.

I did have condensation problems by using the reflectix on top of my pad. Switching to the pad on top solved the problem. I would think there would be condensation issues if you slept on top of the reflectix without something on top of it.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    It would be hard for me to say. This is the first sleep system I've ever used. It has kept me warm in the hammock and also on the ground both around 18 degrees at the lowest. I had a thermometer in the bag and it read 81 when I was on the ground inside the tent. If I do roll off the reflectix it dosn't take long for Mother Nature to let me know. So with the reflectix and the system so far I've stayed toasty warm. Still I'm looking at an UQ for next winter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast