Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    the HH tarp is fine for minimal coverage, kind of like a bikini.

The questions that you need to ask are:
    1. what is your budget? this will drive a lot
    2. what will be your primary usage? long distance hiking (light weight, packs small), weekend trips or just hanging at a campground (few weight issues, but may need more coverage)
    3. How much coverage do you want and why?
    4. How much privacy do you want or need?

After doing a lot of thinking (research, more thinking, etc.) I decided that I wanted lots of weather coverage and needed privacy for changing as I do a lot of camping with Boy Scouts. I can always use the HH fly for a week long hike if I want

Finally decided on the WB Superfly. It is not too bad on the weight, has huge coverage for dealing with a long day of rain and doors for privacy. it is fantastic for my usage and budget but go back through the question and remember the no one tarp will be perfect for all situations. Pick one that will cover most of your needs and save up for another for alternate scenarios.

good luck
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's some good insight Ken. I hadn't thought about just having two tarps. The one that came with the hammock is fine for distance hikes because of the light weight (due to less material), but I'm not always hiking long distances between set-ups. So, perhaps a tarp with a lot of coverage and doors is something that would indeed suit me better, although I hadn't realized it before. Like you, I also camp with scouts (am a troop scoutmaster), so having a large tarp with doors would certainly be advantageous at times.

Thanks...I'll look into some larger tarps than what I had been previously considering and see what I can find.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by P Chang View Post
    That's some good insight Ken. I hadn't thought about just having two tarps. The one that came with the hammock is fine for distance hikes because of the light weight (due to less material), but I'm not always hiking long distances between set-ups. So, perhaps a tarp with a lot of coverage and doors is something that would indeed suit me better, although I hadn't realized it before. Like you, I also camp with scouts (am a troop scoutmaster), so having a large tarp with doors would certainly be advantageous at times.

Thanks...I'll look into some larger tarps than what I had been previously considering and see what I can find.
    If you're considering larger tarps with doors the Warbonnet Superfly is a phenomenal value. I love mine!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    +1 on the Superfly. Don't ever try a tarp with doors. You probably won't want to go without them. I enjoy never having to worry about getting wet, or dealing with blowing wind/rain.

I live in a coastal area, and winds are constantly shifting so site selection really doesn't do much for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs
    Images
    +2 on the superfly. That will be the next tarp I get since I do a lot of winter backpacking.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Guess the Superfly is on the list to check out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Can't go wrong with a Superfly.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've decided on the WB Superfly and I have to seal some seams, according to their website. Is this what I should use to accomplish that? http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050...words=permatex

It also mentions something about guyline. Is that referring to the line that attaches the tarp to the trees and ground? Probably a dumb question, but I guess I figured such lines would automatically come with the rainfly.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Pretty new to hanging but I am kinda in love with my Kelty Noah's 12 right now. It's my first real, (read non-blue poly), tarp. It has weathered a couple of super-wet and windy, Pac-NW spring hangs so far and has performed admirably.
    It's big, (12X12), and bulky, (weighs just over 2#), but it does the job...in style...
    Dinking around with it last hang and I pitched it with doors. With tie-outs, I was able to stand up and move around inside of it without too much trouble.
    I am sure one of the cottage vendors' tarps here, or the Superfly, would be every bit as good, (or better), but for the price point, I am super-stoked on the Noah's 12.
    My $.02...

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have heard of people using the permatex with success. I used silnet on my superfly, although I haven't gotten caught in the rain yet I'm confident it will do the trick.
    Yes you need to buy guy line as the SF doesn't come with it. The SF has a split ring on either side of the ridge line to tie out to the tree. Warbonnet sells zing it to be used for guy lines and ridge line. They also sell some Dutch bling, like the stingers for attaching to the tree without using knots. If you watch the video for the SF on Warbonnets website Brandon explains how much line you will need and the basic setup of the tarp. You can also buy larger rolls of zing it at Dutches site, dutchwaregear.com. Or any arborist site.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast