Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    UCR - Whoopie
    Images

Alternative zipper ending (DIY trick)

There are different ways to end a zipper on an integrated bug net.
    As far as I can tell one of the most popular is just to end them on each side under the cover triangle but I wanted to try something different and don’t like the floppy triangles.
    This how I did it on the last hammock I made.
    Everything was sewn to the hammock but in the foot end I also sewed the zipper to the triangle across the hammock but in two layers for the last 6” or so.
    You can see the shape of the cuts I made on the picture. All ends are sealed with heat ( a lighter) but do not over do it because then it will be very difficult to add sliders to the zipper. On this hammock I have 4 sliders all added after the sewing was done.
    The key thing for this to work is both the seams holding the two zipper together has to very close to the edge of the zipper otherwise you will not be able to put the sliders on. The reason for this there has to be room between the two zippers for the slider and a bit for maneuvering.
    A question that could be asked: Wont the zippers split when they are not sewn across? No. You have two zippers in that area so its twice as strong as any of the sides. You can split them if you really want to but it’s not like to happen by accident.

You can remove the bug net if you want to but it’s still not a substitute for a open end zipper and it never will be.

It is a YKK #3 coil zipper.

IMG_20150414_165451.jpg IMG_20150414_172514.jpg Zipper x2.png
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY BB clone (in work)
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UG
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    How did you manage the zipper curve on the head end?

I don't like narrow zipper curves. This is the reason why I decided to have two #5 endless coil zippers. On each side is one and at the hammock ends (below the cover triangles) I will sew the zipper ends on a piece of grosgrain ribbon with a edge binding loop on each end which is then connected to the suspension.

I consider this solution as a substitute for 4 separable zippers which I would need for two top-covers - because of two reason. First, it is hard to find the appropriate zipper length (for a >= 11' hammock) and second, 4 separable zippers would be a bit expensive. Since I have a #5 endless coil zipper I think the fiddling with the sliders is a bit easier than with #3 sliders. And there is no fiddling at all if I don't change the setup (at the foot end is a bug net stored in a peak bag and at the head end is a top cover with a air vent stored in a peak bag (like Papasmurf designed it - look here). The funny thing is, that I try to make a "black" bird with Papasmurf's intelligent zipper carousel.

And the cheapest solution (at least in Europe - were the YKK endless zippers are incredible expensive!) is to use 3 x 5 meter compatible No-Name endless coil zippers (#3 or #5 - available in almost all colors) and 8 YKK sliders both-sided for one hammock with two top-covers. I tried it already, it works, the No-Name zipper quality is good (almost the same than YKK) and it is rather inexpensive - approx. >66% cheaper than the comparable YKK endless zipper solution from ExTex.

(Compare this in Europe: The price for 10.5 meter #5 YKK endless coil zipper from ExTex is 30.45€. The price for 3 x 5 meter = 15 meter #5 zipper from nähkaufhaus.de is 10.20€ (8.70 € for #3 zippers). This is ~66.5% cheaper and you get the zippers in almost all colors. Prices from the zipper man in USA: 35 feet black #5 YKK endless zipper from DIYGS would be 12.25$ and the prices for 4 two-way separating zippers 120" long are 47.80$ plus USPS First Class Mail Intl service shipping and plus ~19% EU import taxes based on the total price paid including shipping).
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 04-14-2015 at 18:36.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    UCR - Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    How did you manage the zipper curve on the head end?

I don't like narrow zipper curves. ....................
    Neither do I. It is asking for trouble.
    The radius I use is approx. 5cm (2”)
    On this hammock the triangles (both ends) is relative big because I had a zipper but it was too short to go all the way. It was a compromise.

I buy my zippers from ExTex.

triangle.png
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY BB clone (in work)
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UG
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I still experiment with different possibilities how I can install the zipper ends on my convertible DL hammock. In the meantime I'm convinced that one of the best solutions would be to integrate one half of the zipper (only the tape without the coil) on both sides of the hammock into the whipping and on the side where I need no opening for the pad (fb/shelf side) to install the zipper between the two body layers. The nice benefit of this solution would be that I can sew then the two zipper tapes at the hammock ends nicely together and this will add some nice finish to all channel edges of the hammock whipping. Since I anyway aim to sew the hammock ends a bit together I find this solution currently the best. On both sides of the hammocks I will sew triangles on the hammock ends which are also sewn on the zipper tapes of the zipper half which is not removable.

For the removable parts of the zipper (I will have two on each side one) I will try to find a edge binding solution with a T-stopper. I will use the versions for cords because I will fold or roll the grosgrain ribbon in such a way that it fits through the two holes of the T-bar (Knebelknopf).