2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet

VA/Harpers Creek Three Ridges Wilderness, Nelson County

Here's my first attempt at a trip video. Learned a lot. Like helps to take spare storage disk for camera. I had to finish the trip using my cell phone. Also see why folks mount their camera on a trekking pole.

I originally planned to hang in the watershed above Crabtree Falls but I realized the crowds were so large Saturday afternoon as to make that hard to do. Plan B was to drive east a few miles to the AT crossing and head north to the Harpers Creek AT shelter. It was a beautiful hike up and back. Despite over 40 campsites around the shelter, it was a pleasant stay. Wish I could have captured the stars about midnight. Didn't realize there were so many in the sky.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

https://youtu.be/48Lnbtutyrc

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Always good to have a plan B. Looks like you and Ben had a great time.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

I love the scenery going up at the falls but was a little disappointed at the top. I thought there would be more. Great hike with lots of stairs and switchbacks. St. Mary's Wilderness is another great hike and one of my favorite fishing areas.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    Ive been thinking of picking up that same dog tent, the Alcott. What are your impressions of it?

~HEH

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks like you both had a good time! It does seem like Harpers Creek is a busy area, fortunately there is lots of room.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Always good to have a plan B. Looks like you and Ben had a great time.
    As it turned out, going to Harpers Creek was a more pleasant hike. Where I was heading originally would have been like a highway. Must have been 300 cars parked in the Crabtree Falls parking lot and access road.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    I love the scenery going up at the falls but was a little disappointed at the top. I thought there would be more. Great hike with lots of stairs and switchbacks. St. Mary's Wilderness is another great hike and one of my favorite fishing areas.
    I'll have to give St. Mary's Wilderness a try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hang em' high View Post
    Ive been thinking of picking up that same dog tent, the Alcott. What are your impressions of it?

~HEH
    I had picked the Alcott and watched it in Amazon until it went on sale. It was priced at $10 which I thought pretty good. Had to wait 3-4 months, though for that pricing opportunity.

It's not waterproof, although would be fine for a light rain. bottom of the tent is covered with waterproof coating however.

It has zippers on the front door for both mosquito screen and tent cover which works well with Ben. It's lightweight. Ben carried it in his backpack along with his food.

this was my first overnighter with him in the Alcott. We'd used it as home for several nights in lieu of his crate.

Quote Originally Posted by JMBdevotee View Post
    Looks like you both had a good time! It does seem like Harpers Creek is a busy area, fortunately there is lots of room.
    We did have a good time. Being able to hang near the creek made it so. Didn't feel the crowds that were in the flatter areas. That said, it was quiet that night. Folks were well behaved and it turned into a nice setting. Bumping into thru hikers was kind of neat.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Nice job on the video JSH - good recovery with the phone. Looks like a nice place to visit.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Nice job on the video JSH - good recovery with the phone. Looks like a nice place to visit.
    There are probably a lot of hikes with prettier vistas but Sunday morning walking off the mountain was pretty magical. Cool air, morning sunlight through the trees, few sounds other than the wind. Was pretty special. The occasional glimpse through the canopy of the valley below was an added dividend.

Hammock
    BMBH, Traveler
    Tarp
    Edge/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Nice report, JSH! I know we've dicussed the awesome-ness of Three Ridges in the past, and I'm glad you got to get out there. You're report kind of scared me, though, about Crabtree Falls. We're looking to do some day hiking up there this weekend! Here's hoping no 300 cars!

Also, I second about Harper's Creek. Everytime I've been there, we had a good crowd, but everyone was always respectful of their neighbors. And it's always fun to bump into thru-hikers (ahhh, one day!).

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by lckeeper1 View Post
    Nice report, JSH! I know we've dicussed the awesome-ness of Three Ridges in the past, and I'm glad you got to get out there. You're report kind of scared me, though, about Crabtree Falls. We're looking to do some day hiking up there this weekend! Here's hoping no 300 cars!

Also, I second about Harper's Creek. Everytime I've been there, we had a good crowd, but everyone was always respectful of their neighbors. And it's always fun to bump into thru-hikers (ahhh, one day!).
    The parking lot at Crabtree Falls had no available space when I got there last Saturday. Road in was lined with parked cars on both sides as well. I was getting ready to turn around and drive back down Rte 56 when a car left. Guess the crowds had to do with the beautiful weather and the falls itself. Water flow was decent so the various falls within the area were really pretty.

You're right about the group at the AT shelter. Very respectful of each other. Nice folks.

• + New Posts