Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    i did get the green light to use the machine to test the tensile strength of the various bury lengths within a continuous loop configuration.

i plan to test 4 continuous loops for each bury length; will use 1", 2", 3", 4" bury lengths. if the data is too erratic i may consider increasing the sample size. the material being tested will be with mason line. i will try to get a controlled tension strength for the mason line as well. stand by for the results; it may be as much as 2 weeks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If you pass the lines through each other...

Attachment 106888

...and bury the ends in this orientation, the pass throughs act as a stop while splicing (but not a lock) and the highest splice strength is achieved. Lock stitching is advisable if the CL will be handled a lot without being larks headed onto something else to prevent the buries from backing out under no load conditions...

Attachment 106889

fold the ends back on themselves and bury the ends in this orientation and you have formed a "lock" but have reduced the splice's strength. In this configuration, the buries only serve to keep the braiding from unraveling and the "lock" has to support the full force placed on the splice...

Attachment 106890

Or you can simply make the two buries without the pass throughs to achieve the highest splice strength. Lock stitching is advisable if the CL will be handled a lot without being larks headed onto something else to prevent the buries from backing out under no load conditions...

Attachment 106891
    CORRECTION:

The info for the third photo and the third photo are incorrect. To make what some call a locked brummel in a CL, the 'pass throughs' are not the same as in photo one. As has been mentioned (or alluded to) by others, the pass throughs would be done as if you were making a locked brummel in an eye splice and would look like this...

IMG_5160 (Medium).JPG

For an eye splice, the orange cut leg would be buried in the silver cut leg while for a CL the ends are folded back on themselves as in this photo and then buried into themselves...

IMG_5161 (Medium).JPG

Clear as mud?

So... now that that has been definitively cleared up... getting back to the original question: "What is the smallest continuous loop I can make out of amsteel blue and it be load bearing?" If people have been making loops using an eye splice and getting away with it could one say that it is possible but not advisable to make a continuous loop any size you want by using the eye splice? This would eliminate the minimum size which was previously determined by the bury.

Well using the locked method, all the load is taken by the lock. So it's technically not a splice, the bury is just cosmetic. I doubt Samson rope would endorse the method as a load bearing splice. If you are following their rules, then 8.5" is the recommended bury for 7/64 amsteel blue, so assuming overlapped buries are not allowed either, a loop with a 17" circumference (17/pi=5.4" dia) is going to be the smallest 'official' load bearing continuous loop you should make.

Can you get away with shorter loops - yes, I'm sure of it. You could probably get away with the locked method and cosmetic buries, which would allow for very small loops. You could probably make 2" dia loops that way and I bet they'd still be pretty darned strong. I know knots in amsteel drop the breaking strength to below 50%, but that's still more than paracord, and people get away with using that. Should you do it that way? Probably not, but it's your rig, you can make it how you want.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    It's not an eye splice, it's still a CL and everyone still uses the same buries.

If you want to make tiny short CL's (with big lumps), don't splice. Use a double or triple fisherman's bend to join the ends.

http://www.animatedknots.com/doublef...Categ=climbing

...or you could make a really small soft shackle. You could make one with a 2" diameter and it would be just as strong as a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    You could probably make 2" dia loops that way and I bet they'd still be pretty darned strong.
    I made these about 8 or 9 years ago for a skydiving project. They are bar-tacked at the burys, using a Pfaff 3334, with a 42 stitch, center start and stop cam.

image.jpg

Forgot to mention, these are made with 900 Dacron line. Very similar size to 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I thank you all for this thread. I've been hanging on continuous loops for 2 years that I made wrong. Now I know. My bad loops have a real locked Brummell and that is really all I was hanging on--because my buries did not go across to the other side but they folded back into themselves or back into the side they came from instead of continuing on to the other side of the locked Brummell. I feel really stupid for making splicing errors on loops that hold me off the ground. I need to study this splicing more before I can assume I know what I'm doing. Thanks for the information, I would never have thought of it independently. Scared

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyCompromised View Post
    i did get the green light to use the machine to test the tensile strength of the various bury lengths within a continuous loop configuration.

i plan to test 4 continuous loops for each bury length; will use 1", 2", 3", 4" bury lengths. if the data is too erratic i may consider increasing the sample size. the material being tested will be with mason line. i will try to get a controlled tension strength for the mason line as well. stand by for the results; it may be as much as 2 weeks.
    Did anything ever come of this?

Thought I'd fan the fire, as I believe a couple of different questions remain unanswered and, I for one, what to know!

First, I would support the assertions that the pass-throughs (locked brummels or the other, shall we say "unlocked" brummels) add absolutely nothing to the ultimate strength of a spliced loop or eye. Of course, no one here is strong enough to pull a fixed brummel apart before the bury is done on a eye, but the force needed to do that is a fraction of what it would take to break that eye after the proper bury is completed.

FWIW, there actually IS a method of doing a locked Brummel on a CL but I dare anyone to be able to accomplish it with anything as small as even 1/8" amsteel!

But what would be the point of doing it anyway? I'm absolutely convinced that gmcttr's method of making CLs (no pass-throughs) is at least every bit as strong as those made with the pass-throughs. CLs typically don't come undone primarily because the buries are so close to one another that nothing pulls at the line between them to encourage separation and the milked outer section is essentially kept in place by being wrapped around an end gather or pulled through a channel, i.e. they are almost always under a tiny bit of load

To me the more intriguing point that was brought up earlier in this thread was the idea that only one of the buries in a CL need to be moderately long to achieve maximum CL strength. The other bury, supposedly, can be pretty short. Now THAT shortens up the overall circumference by a couple of inches from what I see.

So what then is the shortest CL of truly adequate strength?
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-16-2015 at 05:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast