Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

A favorite hammock at last? Maybe! Switchback!

I started hanging in 06 on a trip to WY's Wind River Mountains with my brand new HH Explorer UL and HHSS. Loved it then, still a big fan of that combo now. During the 8 or 9 years since, I became enamored of the combo of a Claytor No Net with a Pea Pod, and other times would choose bridge hammocks like my JRB BMBH insulated with MWUQs. But I have never quite been able to pick a favorite overall out of these and the many other hammocks I have tried. I liked various aspects of all of them.

But maybe- just maybe- I am finally going to pick an over all favorite. It is a used Switchback Light Hiker 1.1 DL I got from Redbeard a few months back. I have used it a bit on my Vario flexing stand and hanging from trees out in the woods and all I can see is positive so far.

First off, the main reason I put up with spreader bars on bridge hammocks is because I am one of the worlds worst to have the old infamous calf pressure. There is hardly a non-bridge in which I have not had at least some of this little misery. But so far in the Switchback, either Nada or so little as to not bother me. It seems very consistent in this regard so far. I am going to put it at the very top of all non-bridges I have used for no calf pressure. Still not quite a match for a bridge, but close enough and the best of the non-bridge for me. Check!

Also, no significant knee hyper-extension. Nothing needed under my knees. Check!

It is also great for a mid-line lay, straight down the middle like I sometimes do. I put each leg a bit to the side, which forces a flex into my knees like a recliner, very comfy though maybe hard to insulate with an UQ. Check!

So then I flip to each side fetal position: perfect, and in this area easier to get comfy than my bridge, i.e. more room for my knees to be pulled up as far as I want. So check!

Also, on my side with legs straight: comfy! No waist twist! Check!

Net works great, well away from my face! Check! All of this with no spreader bars to be carried or to rub a tarp(unless I want to add them- sticks- to the net for luxury, but fine without) or even a ridge line so far! Like my Claytor in not needing a RL so far. And when not needed, the net really ties way up out of the way. Check!

Grand finale: this hammock is short, well less than 10 ft. Which means it should work great with a PeaPod once I get another one. Though it might be just a little wider than my Claytor, it is shorter, and I think over all a pod will work great. Double check!

So far, what is not to like? I'm not going to swear that it is going to completely replace my bridge or Claytor hammocks, or my HHSS, but it just might! In fact, I suspect that my HHSS will work fine on this hammock(though not so sure about the OC), which if so will be just one more thing in it's favor!

Who else is rocking one of these babies?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-18-2015 at 10:41.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ahh! I need to quit. Its like the search for the perfect pack. Now I'm curious. I respect and value your opinion on hammock matters, BillyBob58, I'll have to check one out. Ohhh, hey, I'm headed for Mahha soon maybe someone will have one there.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My Switchback is definitely comfortable! And, I love the net design because not only does it give you lots more headroom, it also allows you to switch from head left to head right and back (hence the name). Mine likes to be hung a little tighter than normal at about 25°. Some people miss having a ridgeline, but paying attention to that 25° angle will get it rigged up properly.

The only reason I don't typically use it when backpacking is that I'm a gram weenie and carry my DIY ultralight setup. But, my wife always uses that hammock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the review Billy bob! I am a die hard bridge hammock guy........................but........I could see where the switch back could have some big advantages over a bridge. (shorter distance between trees, simplicity, no spreader bars etc) Every thing Ive heard about them is good--- No future plans to buy another hammock, but you never know!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I loved mine, i so much loved it infact that i called dale to see if by chance he can make a bigger one, alas he said not at this time. they are super comfortable, my only and only problem is some shoulder squeeze, at my size i need some width..but ease of set up and being able to move and lay almost any way you want was fantatstic..i just wished he made them larger like 60x132.....
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    LOL. Yes, the Switchback really rocks. I've been preaching this gospel for years. I'm only 5' and started out with the original but sold it to get the Light Hiker only to find that the extra length of the original gives additional diagonal laying room. Fortunately, I won an original Switchback at the 2nd FL hang. And my guardian angel was there cos I'd left my pack with hammock at home. Do NOT cover your pack with anything before it reaches your car!

I was just looking at 2QZQ's zipper removal mod and going to post on the TTG subforum to see if many people had done it and what the consensus was. Enables net to be unzipped and stored in a peak bag to go "topless."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have a DL Switchback LH and I also find it very comfortable. It's nice to be able to enter and exit it from either side and the extra internal head room is a plus.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Ahh! I need to quit. Its like the search for the perfect pack. Now I'm curious. I respect and value your opinion on hammock matters, BillyBob58, I'll have to check one out. Ohhh, hey, I'm headed for Mahha soon maybe someone will have one there.
    You should quit, unless of course you don't want too! I guess the saving grace about all of this is it is not the most expensive hobby in the world. We could be into sports cars or fishing/racing boats, etc etc! Plus, if we decide something is not for us, there is a ready and quick market often with little $ lost selling it right here at HF. But, what I mean about you quitting is: are you totally comfy in the hammock you have got? If so, why bother with anything else? And I hear real good things about the hammock you already have. Plus, IMO, hammocks are like shoes: one guys favorite may be another guys least fav. Me, I could have stayed perfectly happy if I had stuck with my original HH/HHSS. Over all, I slept super comfy on my back pack trips compared to on the ground, so really, what else did I need? OTOH, I just like to play with and test stuff, especially if it relates to my favorite hobby. So I have!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    My Switchback is definitely comfortable! And, I love the net design because not only does it give you lots more headroom, it also allows you to switch from head left to head right and back (hence the name). Mine likes to be hung a little tighter than normal at about 25°. Some people miss having a ridgeline, but paying attention to that 25° angle will get it rigged up properly.

The only reason I don't typically use it when backpacking is that I'm a gram weenie and carry my DIY ultralight setup. But, my wife always uses that hammock.
    Yep, it is not the lightest model out there for sure, but neither are some of my other favs like my bridge hammocks, and sometimes I sacrifice to carry those few extra ozs for the comfort. Sometimes I sacrifice the comfort to save a few oz, and once or two nights over the last 8 years I found myself wishing I had done the opposite. Pros and cons as always. But, the Switchback guys do offer some stripped down hammocks that are a good bit lighter(1/3 - 1/2 less) than the one I have. No net, of course. I wonder what the comfort of those are?

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Thanks for the review Billy bob! I am a die hard bridge hammock guy........................but........I could see where the switch back could have some big advantages over a bridge. (shorter distance between trees, simplicity, no spreader bars etc) Every thing Ive heard about them is good--- No future plans to buy another hammock, but you never know!
    Well, you know, Stevebo, I'm a bit of a die hard bridge guy myself. So, this is not a done deal forever thing. There are still some bridge pros that are still king of the hill. Leg comfort(always zero calf pressure or knee extension or waist discomfort when side sleeping) is still unmatched and last winter I kind of got back into my old original deep/narrow style JRB 07/08 model bridge. The one with the least shoulder room. But, I love to lean back into the deep side of that thing, with an MWUQ covering my back side while the V shape causes my TQ to funnel down onto me with less tendency to lift up(draft) on the sides. Next best thing to a PeaPod IMHO. But, in the area of overall favs, this new one is probably my new fav for non-bridge, and might be close enough for leg comfort to the bridge, and is short and no spreader bars(less tarp needed, no bar weight, less to keep up with), and has more shoulder room. And though I may or may not be able to match the easy UQ/TQ insulation qualities of my bridges, if I winter in this SB I will probably be back to a Pea or PolarPod anyway, and I'm sure that will be perfect. After all, both pods are made with these hammocks in mind! So for me, it is a matter of overall winner, and my bridges now have a lot closer horse race in the overall category, when considering comfort, weight(including needed tarps), convenience, and ease of insulation.

Plus, I still must confirm this SB is actually more comfy than my Claytor No Net(didn't you have one of those?) I know it is 100% as comfy, and I think it moght be a tad more comfy, but I need to hang them side by side to see if it is actually more comfy. But, though 4" wider, it is several inches shorter than the Claytor, so that means even better with a pod.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    I loved mine, i so much loved it infact that i called dale to see if by chance he can make a bigger one, alas he said not at this time. they are super comfortable, my only and only problem is some shoulder squeeze, at my size i need some width..but ease of set up and being able to move and lay almost any way you want was fantatstic..i just wished he made them larger like 60x132.....
    I'm pretty good sized, fattened up this winter to 220lb on my 6'1" frame. I noticed a little shoulder squeeze but when I loosened the hang a little bit I have not noticed any since. Then again, I'm one of the few that do not have complaints re: shoulders in the original BMBH, so who knows? You never really know till you try them for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    LOL. Yes, the Switchback really rocks. I've been preaching this gospel for years. I'm only 5' and started out with the original but sold it to get the Light Hiker only to find that the extra length of the original gives additional diagonal laying room. Fortunately, I won an original Switchback at the 2nd FL hang. And my guardian angel was there cos I'd left my pack with hammock at home. Do NOT cover your pack with anything before it reaches your car!

I was just looking at 2QZQ's zipper removal mod and going to post on the TTG subforum to see if many people had done it and what the consensus was. Enables net to be unzipped and stored in a peak bag to go "topless."
    I should have been listening to you, Sandy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I have a DL Switchback LH and I also find it very comfortable. It's nice to be able to enter and exit it from either side and the extra internal head room is a plus.
    Yep, I am finding it to have many fine qualities!

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Sandykayak, I had that mod on my sb. It was kinda handy but I really did not care for It like I thought I would. Wi th me being as big as I am when I got in somehow tb e velcro never stayed secured. I'm sure it was operator error. But if I ever get anothe one I will leave it as is withour the mod, because if needed I would just flip it over.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

First off, the main reason I put up with spreader bars on bridge hammocks is because I am one of the worlds worst to have the old infamous calf pressure. There is hardly a non-bridge in which I have not had at least some of this little misery.
    I hate to keep evangelizing this point but I almost gave up hammocking because of calf pressure. Changing hammocks didn’t seem to work (I never tried a bridge) so as a last resort I got a 2.5” thick Exped inflatable downmat 7. Not only did it give me a comfortable night’s sleep but calf pressure was completely eliminated using any hammock I owned (you don’t even have to set them up using proper angles or sag). That only left me with the problem of keeping the pad from shifting around. I was never able to do that by putting the pad in between the layers of a double layer hammock. It still moved all over the place. But you can solve the problem by using a Big Agnes sleeping bag with a pad sleeve on bottom. Or, by my preferred method, of making a short 8” sleeve that goes over the end of the pad and velcros to the bottom of the hammock. Inflatable insulated pads are more expensive and heavier than CCF pads but they are getting down around one pound now and you save in the long run because you can use them with any cheap and nasty hammock you want and still get a good nights' sleep. YMMV.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast