Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Who would think buying a hammock was so hard...?

Until today, I thought it was easy. My last visit to REI, I spied a cool looking item. A ENO Doublenest hammock. Down here in central Texas, it trends to be a bit warm. I thought a hammock would be a cool thing to try out. (Never been in one let along slept in one...) REI didn't have the bugnet which is a must here, so when I returned home I looked up ENO. I ended up ordering a Onelink Doublenest system. I have high hope for my purchase (for the cost a bit more then I ever would have dream spending on a hammock). Complete system for about $235 to include the cool looking Possum Pocket. Finally placed the order this morning.

I should have known that there must be a forum out there for hammock right? Didn't even think about it. Well, I found it after I placed the order.... I spent the day reading. Now I am wondering for $235 if my purchase was a good one. (I.e. getting the best equipment for the dollar...) Any opinions? REI carries a Hennessy but I am not sure if they have everything that the ENO kit has. Of if they are equal to or better for comfort.

I wanted to try a hammock for this weekend Boy Scout canoe trip which I am attending. No tents are allowed. A hammock sounded like a great way to skirt the rules.

Should I stick with the ENO for my first hammock or return it for something else?

Images
    most feel the hammock itself is pretty good (maybe a little heavier than others for backpacking purposes, but comfy). many also feel that the net and especially the tarp aren't so good. the net has gotten mixed reviews i think, seemed like most complaints were it's weight, have heard mostly negatives about their tarps

That is what I have been reading, which is making me wonder if I made a smart purchase. The only time I camp, is with my son and his Boy Scout troop. Our monthly trips are more like car camping for the most part. We might have to hike a short distance that is about it. So weight is no issue for me at this point. Philmont and other similar trips, we use the gear on hand. I just want to make sure that I am getting the most use of the $235 for a complete system that is comfortable, cool, dry and easy to setup.

Images
    $235? Seems a bit stout. I thought the ENOs were pretty reasonable, but I guess that includes tarp and net? The ultralites with tarps are on sale at Hennessy.

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html

I am sorry,added in that price is UPS 2Day Air and some other items. Kit price: $209.50, they have free Ground Shipping. Since I waited to the last minute, I paid for UPS Second Day Air....

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The ENO hammock itself is nice. Smooth silky fabric, well sewn, strong, comfortable. And, their bugnet design is pretty good, it's just heavier than is necessary which irks the backpackers among us.

The ENO tarps though, leave a lot to be desired. They're heavy, short, and the overly-deep side-cuts leave you open to much wind-driven rain.

Most of us on this forum are biased, if only because we have a handful of vendors that interact here, and listen to our wants and needs and supply products accordingly. ENO isn't among them.

That all being said... I would return the ENO system, because it's an entire package and you can do better for a complete setup. If you were buying *just* the hammock, I would say keep it and add better individual components.

This doesn't help you put together the complete system you want rapidly, though.

My .02
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Don't peg your angst meter over this. It's fait accompli...use it, enjoy it, and learn from it. Seems like everyone on this site ends up with more of everything, rationalizing that redundancy is important, yea, even necessary.

You will, too.

Welcome.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
    I am sorry,added in that price is UPS 2Day Air and some other items. Kit price: $209.50, they have free Ground Shipping. Since I waited to the last minute, I paid for UPS Second Day Air....
    Oh, OK. But for some reason I was thinking an ENO by itself ran about $65 or a bit more? Not sure, but any way, you could get the excellent War Bonnet Traveller for about $70 and the excellent separate net for about $65. But, you might not be able to get it in time for what you want, hard to say. Plus you would have to get a tarp. Low prices at Campmor? Super cheap and fast from Walmart?
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/travel_h.htm

You can get a similar Treklite for a much lower price, about $65 for a double and I bet you could get fast shipping. http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/home.asp
    But you would need a net and tarp.

Hennessys used to be super popular around here, but these days most folks seem to like the top loader style better. But not every one, HH still has more than a few fans. And like I said, UL hammock tarp and net on sale $156-179. Again, I bet you could get fast shipping and a good return policy if you don't like it.

Has your order already shipped? I think the ENO hammock is fine, and the net is probably fine for car camping. I don't know about the tarp.

All forums are biased... I should have known there would be a support forum for hammock camping... Kicking myself... To be fair to myself, I never thought about using a hammock camping. I never seen one in use at any of the Boy Scout campouts... Which worried me for most of the adults have been camping from Canada to Mexico, they are hard core. All are tent campers... I was looking at bivies when I stumbled on the hammock concept at REI...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Don't peg your angst meter over this. It's fait accompli...use it, enjoy it, and learn from it. Seems like everyone on this site ends up with more of everything, rationalizing that redundancy is important, yea, even necessary.

You will, too.

Welcome.
    Well said! And worse case, maybe you can return the tarp if you don't like it? As for the net, is wight critical for you?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast