WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Raccoons....

So I'm preparing for a trip in an area that's notorious for thieving raccoons that open packs, steal gear, steal entire backpacks, etc.

I have a WBBB, trying to figure out the best way to protect my stuff. The most secure option is to sleep with my backpack in the hammock, but doesn't sound very comfy. Anyone have a better method? Hanging the pack off one end of the hammock seems like an invitation for raccoons to stealthily grab all my goodies without waking me (I sleep heavy), or waking me up and scaring the beejeebus out of me.

Ideas? My pack is under 10 lbs at night without sleeping gear and food (in a bear canister, far far away).

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Just hang it like you would bear bagging

At the Fatt Butt Hang this weekend we had a raccoon some into the camp site and raided the trash cans but left everything else alone
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    i'll be in the backcountry though ... no trash cans, my backpack will be their only target.

Bring your dog. Let him sleep below the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    the raccoons I have dealt with are only looking for food. I don't keep my food in my backpack overnight. Either hang it or use a bear canister.

They want the food. If they want something, taking it in with you won't discourage them. The will do whatever damage they have to get at it. One time we were sitting at a picnic table in the dark making s'mores and one came and stole the graham crackers off the table between us without us noticing.
    Last edited by DrPhun; 04-21-2015 at 16:01.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ah, raccoons... Yessiree. I see your problem. And so do you. Some of my worst North American invaders have been raccoons. All the guts and grit of a grizzly, and inch for pound, just as unkillable. Seriously. Got all the ambitious agility and grace of a hungry squirrel, too. Smart and canny, and up all night just trying and trying. Red squirrels have given me fits and spasms, but 'coons'll go down in my ledger as "special". Had 'em stand up to me and square off for combat. All there is, far as I can rely on, is keeping things clean and tight, and stored right up under my hammock in a cargo net. It's the proximity (to me) that makes my keepings defendable. Nocturnally elevating one's meals into trees is as effective at feeding them as it is 'possums. Had both beasties robbing me up there, without ANY thanking, whatever. Seen 'em ('coons) tear a dog to ribbons and juice, so, I'll refrain from seconding that gem of advice. It'll take a couple or a few motivated dogs, or, one passing ferocious dog, to do the job. Expect to treat wounds, in any case. 'Coons will also and frequently operate in teams and shifts. A worthy opponent, in all cases. Does it sound like I'm ninjafying Gods gentle creature? I certainly am not. So, in parting: Keep your keepings close, close, close, and keep a soft ear out, all night. You decide if it's worth the fight. Don't go getting all ripped up on my account. Ammo boxes work, if ya got the situation for 'em...
    Last edited by irondog; 04-19-2015 at 20:07.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    My only two "harrowing" experiences with wildlife have been with raccoons...both times it was because they didn't back down when threatened, and I was concerned about the possibility of rabies :-/
    Once the 'coons become socialized and used to humans, they are absolutely fearless, and can also be just a little aggressive...
    By in large, they're pretty harmless, but at 3am, those glowing eyes and hissing/chucking sound they make can be a bit unnerving :-)
    Best to take precautions like bear cans and hanging your food away from camp, if only to save your gear from being ripped apart/chewed through...

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    "...scaring the beejeebus out of me. "

I hate it, when I get beejeebus in my hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    haha, some good replies here. i'm picturing a family of hungry raccoons scurrying across the ridgeline of my hammock in the moonlight.

i'm kind of leaning towards just snuggling up with my backpack, fetal position...

once they've learned that food is sometimes in backpacks, they'll tear them up regardless if they smell something or not. it's a sad side effect of humans throwing off the balance of nature, even in one of the most remote places in north america.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast