Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    Maybe I am coming at this thing from a different perspective but I really like the format that evolved at Goose Island. Camping, dutch ovens hence good food but very little or no back packing, hammocks for sleeping, and easy access to good fishing.

With 6 or 8 million folks in the North Texas, Southern Oklahoma, Southern Missouri and the Western Arkansas area I think there is room to grow a hang or two.

Seven hours each way on the Rockport trip was a little much although they were a fun group of folks to share a meal. The "pot luck", the shared camping and fishing experience is ideal for those who either don't want to or are unable to hike with all their dutch oven gear. It made for a very enjoyable weekend.

I don't want to intentionally make myself uncomfortable at a "butt bake" or hike a bunch of gear into a forest. So if y'all don't mind I think I will go ahead with the research into inviting those who might be interested in something a little closer to home. As they say on the big trails, "you've got to hike your own hike" and I spect that's what I'll do. Fishing, cooking, car camping, hammock swinging, less driving, more time on the water and around the camp fire. Things evolve. No offense meant.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    none taken by me.

And just so ya know, the butt bake is changing this year so the hike (the really worst part) will be optional and will have at least one medical person (me) there to keep everything as safe as possible in the high summer heat. We plan to have a toilet facility and even a shower available for the folks who come.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Maybe I am coming at this thing from a different perspective but I really like the format that evolved at Goose Island. Camping, dutch ovens hence good food but very little or no back packing, hammocks for sleeping, and easy access to good fishing.

With 6 or 8 million folks in the North Texas, Southern Oklahoma, Southern Missouri and the Western Arkansas area I think there is room to grow a hang or two.

Seven hours each way on the Rockport trip was a little much although they were a fun group of folks to share a meal. The "pot luck", the shared camping and fishing experience is ideal for those who either don't want to or are unable to hike with all their dutch oven gear. It made for a very enjoyable weekend.

I don't want to intentionally make myself uncomfortable at a "butt bake" or hike a bunch of gear into a forest. So if y'all don't mind I think I will go ahead with the research into inviting those who might be interested in something a little closer to home. As they say on the big trails, "you've got to hike your own hike" and I spect that's what I'll do. Fishing, cooking, car camping, hammock swinging, less driving, more time on the water and around the camp fire. Things evolve. No offense meant.
    What?!!?

You refuse to defend the Honor of Texas by proving that Texans are far superior to Yankees in surviving extremes of weather?

Somebody get a rope. Don't let the children watch----
    Last edited by sargevining; 04-21-2015 at 20:24.

Hammock
    DIY 11' rip stop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY rip stop
    Insulation
    REI 20* bg
    Suspension
    webbing
    Jim, let me know I am in Celina, far north collin county. Not too far from texoma. I will go with you to explore if you want a friend. I would love to do what you are trying to accomplish. I missed the Tyler state park hang in March. I have been sleeping in the tree house just so I can say I have slept in my hammock I made.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    No Sarge that's not it at all. I just figure I've nothing to prove to anybody any more. I've done all that and at this age I don't give a hang about what Texans or Yankees want to do to themselves.
    Last edited by John B; 04-22-2015 at 05:40.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    Csquared and other interested parties....I will try to scout the state parks at Lake Murray and Texoma within two weeks. I am retired, kinda, so will probably go up during the week. When I get it figured out I will try to come up with some compatible dates for all parties. Both parks are busy in the summer so it will have to be out a ways I imagine.

Thank y'all. John B

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    JohnB, just to be sure you know, Sarge is cracking jokes....
    The Cross Timers Trail (for hikes) is nice. Probably 50 places to hang for small groups. We did a winter hike up there a few years back (testing these Texan's down to +18 Degrees....) and had fun. Lots of places with established camp areas.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    Thank you and yes I figured he was kidding "gruffly" but then I can do the same back right ?

Cross Timbers sounds good. I have always wondered about that regional name and it's historical significance. I enjoy cold weather camping too. Once upon a time I sponsored a high adventure Explorer Scout group in Colorado Springs and the kids loved that stuff.

The plan right now is go to the two lakes and check for hammock ready sites, get the site numbers so potential campers might know what to ask for when they get there. I would hope we might explore all sorts of potential camping fishing spots within something like a 150 mile radius of DFW. That would take an extended period of time. But we at least could see new territory while we're at it.

Look forward to hanging out with you someday.

John B

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    JohnB, just to be sure you know, Sarge is cracking jokes....
    The Cross Timers Trail (for hikes) is nice. Probably 50 places to hang for small groups. We did a winter hike up there a few years back (testing these Texan's down to +18 Degrees....) and had fun. Lots of places with established camp areas.
    Suh.

The Honor of Texas is no joke.

We need more rope.

Hammock
    WB/Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Winter Palace.
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch bkls

• + New Posts