Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark

Eisenhower State Park, Lake Texoma, Texas OR Lake Murray State Park, Okla.

Which of these two North Texas --Southern Okla. parks would you rather attend a group "hang" ? Depending on the interest I will go survey the water and electric sites for appropriate trees.

Next question...Are there any conflicting weekend dates I should avoid in the next 30 days ?

Please speak up if you have any interest in either of these locations. If you have info on them I would sure like to know that as well.

Thanks,

John B.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Last weekend of may is a Texas Wilderness Ministry sponsored group hang at Neiderhoffer Lake. End of July/beginning of August is the Butt Bake, also at Neiderhoffer.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    Thanks for the blocked date info.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20F HG UQ, JRB Qlt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lake Texoma, TX

I would absolutely be in 100%. ... and surely the DFW folks in Texas would be in too.

Hammock
    DYI 11 Hexon,1.9camo,Argon1.6,12'XL
    Tarp
    Sil Poly,Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Lake Texoma sounds good! What location?

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    I've now had conversations with both parks. Texoma recognized hammocks and had some last weekend. Lake Murray had never heard of "tents' in trees, their category, not mine. The park super and I agreed I would have to come up and survey the place if we are to learn if and how many hammock appropriate sites they have. I plan to use that as an excuse for a few one nighters checking out state parks etc. in North Texas. After that and conversations with the parks I will come back with dates certain for both Texoma and Murray. Fair enough ?

p.s. I am a little surprised by the number of people who have reviewed this topic yet so few to comment or offer North Texas info. I'm new I know but what the heck ?

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    Matthew and Spark,

Thanks for joining in...both parks were confused as to lots with trees availability. The attitude is make a reservation, drive up and then you can look around to see if we have trees or not. I think a little exploration is called for. So within the next couple of weeks I plan on hitting both parks for a one nighter and a little survey. I could use a the company if you all want in. I am in North Dallas. And thanks for responding. I was beginning to wonder.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    We may be reaching a saturation point for Texas Hangs. Not a bad problem to have, but if there are too many, then attendance and interest at all of them suffers, and responses might be reflective of that. With a lot of opportunities, some folks might be more likely to say "I'll catch the next one."

For 5 years, we had nothing more than the November Hang in Central Texas.

Four years ago we started a summer hang in Southeast Texas, the Texas Butt Bake:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-30-Aug-2-2015

Just this year, we added a Spring Hang in South Texas:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...RIL-10-12-2015

Two years ago, the Texas Wilderness Ministry began organizing a Christian themed series of hangs about every 8 weeks.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...T-gt-28-31-May

One other thing to consider: Group hangs at State Parks are pretty much car camping in hammocks. A greater percentage of folks on this Forum are backpackers who really don't do much car camping, with the exception being the "big hang" in November. They will get out in the woods with close friends on a semi-regular basis, and some of them post those trips to invite other folks to come along.

And one last thing:

Don't let a lack of response or small attendance (or my comments above) deter you from going for it. The November hang started with just 4 guys around a campfire---we'll see 100 at the next one. The Butt Bake had 5----the highest attendance was 40, but that's been purposely scaled back to around 20. The first Ministry hang had 4, we've never had more than 6, but are looking at somewhere around 20 at the next one (we've already got 10 signed up). The average attendance on a "Come join me on a backpacking trip" post is about 5. There's a noticeable pattern there. The important thing is to enjoy your time in the woods around a campfire with good folks who share a common interest, tell a few bad jokes, and share recipes and sewing tips. God will take care of the rest. Have a good time. I wish I could make the time (I'd rather live in North Texas than Houston, but would starve to death for lack of employment).

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm always glad to see folks hanging in Texas and planning trips. I hope yours goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Which of these two North Texas --Southern Okla. parks would you rather attend a group "hang" ?

Next question...Are there any conflicting weekend dates I should avoid in the next 30 days ?
    The park super and I agreed I would have to come up and survey the place if we are to learn if and how many hammock appropriate sites they have.

p.s. I am a little surprised by the number of people who have reviewed this topic yet so few to comment or offer North Texas info. I'm new I know but what the heck ?
    It may be that the relatively short notice may keep some out or it may be that with close to 40,000 members now, you may have had folks check out the thread from places that are far away. The "no info but curious about the thread" reader.

Thanks for joining in...both parks were confused as to lots with trees availability… I think a little exploration is called for... And thanks for responding. I was beginning to wonder.
    I've found that most parks have sites with trees, (usually one or two on either side of the fire ring), and most folks who answer the phones at parks don't really have a concept of what types of trees work best for us. The parks are designed for tents, open areas with some shade, as opposed to multiple trees within 15' of one another.

You may have done this already so forgive me if this is redundant, but a scroll down through the “Forum – Outings – Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning – Southwest” lists places that have been planned in the past that may fit your bill. Among them are Cedar Lake, OK; LBJ Grasslands; and Cross Timbers, Texoma.

There are also planning threads about Texas State Parks you may want to scope out here, here, and here.

Here are some trip reports that may be of interest as well, here, here, here, here, and here.

Good luck, have fun, and take pics for us to see too.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    We may be reaching a saturation point for Texas Hangs. Not a bad problem to have, but if there are too many, then attendance and interest at all of them suffers, and responses might be reflective of that. With a lot of opportunities, some folks might be more likely to say "I'll catch the next one."

For 5 years, we had nothing more than the November Hang in Central Texas.

Four years ago we started a summer hang in Southeast Texas, the Texas Butt Bake:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-30-Aug-2-2015

Just this year, we added a Spring Hang in South Texas:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...RIL-10-12-2015

Two years ago, the Texas Wilderness Ministry began organizing a Christian themed series of hangs about every 8 weeks.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...T-gt-28-31-May

One other thing to consider: Group hangs at State Parks are pretty much car camping in hammocks. A greater percentage of folks on this Forum are backpackers who really don't do much car camping, with the exception being the "big hang" in November. They will get out in the woods with close friends on a semi-regular basis, and some of them post those trips to invite other folks to come along.

And one last thing:

Don't let a lack of response or small attendance (or my comments above) deter you from going for it. The November hang started with just 4 guys around a campfire---we'll see 100 at the next one. The Butt Bake had 5----the highest attendance was 40, but that's been purposely scaled back to around 20. The first Ministry hang had 4, we've never had more than 6, but are looking at somewhere around 20 at the next one (we've already got 10 signed up). The average attendance on a "Come join me on a backpacking trip" post is about 5. There's a noticeable pattern there. The important thing is to enjoy your time in the woods around a campfire with good folks who share a common interest, tell a few bad jokes, and share recipes and sewing tips. God will take care of the rest. Have a good time. I wish I could make the time (I'd rather live in North Texas than Houston, but would starve to death for lack of employment).
    Looks like there were two long winded posters working on a reply at the same time.

Pay more attention to Sarge's comments than mine.

Good point on "saturation", there's a lot of restaurants in my town that nobody goes to anymore because they're too crowded.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast