WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB edge/WB SF
    Insulation
    HG 40/40, 0/0 T/U
    Suspension
    DW spider+mantis

Foul Weather Experience

Warbonnet BlackBird+Edge: Had the first real test of my setup in foul weather this weekend at the top of Sassafrass mountain on the AT in GA during a 2-day hike from Springer to Woody Gap. Even with the tarp pitched low and tight, the blowing moisture accumulated on the outside of the underquilt. This was probably an extreme case. I usually don't pitch my setup on the mountaintop because of little wind protection, however I wanted to get more experience in bad conditions. The dwr finish on HG's quilts is better than I expected. I just shook it and wiped it with my hand and most of the moisture was gone. The edge tarp has adequate coverage, however there was some moisture that accumulated on the ends of the hammock (none got inside). I found that no matter how I tightened the underquilt, I could never get it "just right". If I moved, sometimes it would slip under the footbox. Fortunately I realized the bug-net tie-out on the right side lined up perfectly with one of the 3 loops on the UQ top edge (used the one closest to foot-end). Then on the opposite side, I tied a piece of guyline on the one closest to my head, then fed it through the zipper and tied it to my ridgeline. This was the combination of happiness. It kept the UQ perfectly snug around my shoulders and high enough for the foot box no matter how I moved. I have a UQP on order, and I believe it would've protected the UQ from any moisture accumulation. Something kinda funny, was the condensation on the one side of my tarp (I had the windward side snugged in close, with the opposite side out a bit more for gear storage and ease of entry). When the big drops would hit the tarp, the condensation would splatter into my face. It wasn't a tremendous amount of moisture, so I just pulled a buff over my face so it wouldn't wake me up. I really started to appreciate the hammock design. The guyline from the hammock worked great for preventing the tarp from caving in too hard during strong winds...and it was blowing (hail/foul weather/tornado warning type winds) HARD.

Overall I'm tremendously happy with the conversion from tent to hammock. When I was packing up under my tarp, sitting on a dry pad eating breakfast, watching the others pack up muddy, soupy, wet tents and groundcloths, it made even more sense. The only real wetness I had to deal with was the tarp (which is in mesh snakeskins). I can't think of any reason to go back to a tent.
    Last edited by slammiam; 04-20-2015 at 13:06.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Digi
    Insulation
    HG top/btm 20.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Glad to hear about your experiences mine have been similar though I use a Superfly for extra coverage in bad weather. I will never go back to ground.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me... Philippians 4:13

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Congratulation on surviving the storm. Makes for more adventure and you come to understand why some of us have left the Church of Minimal Tarps and joined the congregation of the Church of Larger Coverage.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    This is an excerpt from something I just posted on the AHE subforum Jarbridge thread:

<<<Last year I got the DD hammocks Superlight set and then my son bought me the DDH Underblanket. In addition to the end shockcords with mini-biners, the UB has two long (18-20"?) shock cords with biners on each side. They are meant to be clipped to a Ridgeline. This might be a useful mod for people hanging in the cold. Just sew some grosgrain loops. Am showing a photo but there's a good diagram as well.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd-underblanket >>

• + New Posts