Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Nube Shelter: Sierra Madre Research

Hey HF members! I just finished a review of the Nube Shelter and have officially decided that this will be my go to shelter for most trips, it is outstanding! Check out the video if you are interested.

Nice voiceover work! I first thought that your hammock was exposed to the wind, but I guess that's actually just the gear stash.

I still wonder for what purpose such a heavy, bombproof shelter is actually intended? I imagine a tent making more sense, if a large, well pitched tarp isn't cut out for the job.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Overengineering sells (to those who don't know what they want/need).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, I think it's pretty cool. It seems like a lot of people go to a lot of effort to "mod" or "tweak" this tarp or that tarp to stay dry or bug free using rings, poles, this or that, so, I don't know if its bomb proof or "over engineered", or if it's just taken the tweak factor out but I'm thinking about getting one . Thanks for the review!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice to see the Nube system. Been kinda curious to see what hammockers think, those who actually have one.
    I would like to see a walk-around view and a distance shot of the whole set up.
    You look excited to have it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I think it looks pretty cool. I like the idea of an integrated gear hammock. I respect their mission, too. Really cool of them.

I wouldn't buy one, only because I told myself I already have too much stuff. I need to DIY from now on.

I'd love to check one out in person though. Derek Hansen did a little review on one also.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorton View Post
    Well, I think it's pretty cool. It seems like a lot of people go to a lot of effort to "mod" or "tweak" this tarp or that tarp to stay dry or bug free using rings, poles, this or that, so, I don't know if its bomb proof or "over engineered", or if it's just taken the tweak factor out but I'm thinking about getting one . Thanks for the review!
    At 42oz (2.625lbs) for just the Nube system (no hammock) it's very heavy. Interior space seems fairly low for it's size (width wise) due to the way it's constructed. It's exorbitantly expensive (because it's complicated to make) at $275. It also doesn't provide wind protection without the added "winter barrier" (bringing system cost to $350).

As a comparison, you can get a Superfly for $130, and a Traveller Bug Net for $65 and have the same or better protection for $80 less, and 15.5oz less weight (just about a pound). And there are cheaper options out there for the bug net (like Dutch Fronkey style for $50). And I'm not convinced the Nube provides even the same protection the Superfly gives. Definitely not wind coverage. This set up works with no tweaking.

In that context, I argue this is over engineered/too complicated for what it provides. Sounds good in theory, in practice it just doesn't seem worth it.
    Last edited by Boston; 04-22-2015 at 16:51.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Good points, I am going to do a comparison review on the superfly with the Nube shelter after reading your comment, I am interested to see how they compare. Thanks

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Nice to see the Nube system. Been kinda curious to see what hammockers think, those who actually have one.
    I would like to see a walk-around view and a distance shot of the whole set up.
    You look excited to have it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))))
    Shug
    Thanks Shug! I am really excited to play around with it. It is a fun system. The creators are fantastic people with an awesome mission as well. I will make sure to get the shots you mentioned in the next video.
    LOVE YOUR WORK BY THE WAY

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Due to the weight alone, I think the Nube will always be limited in popularity. It hasn't exactly caught Hammock Forums by storm. Of course, there are folks who are attracted to over-engineering, and they certainly have good marketing, so they'll probably sell quite a few.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast