Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks

Any experience with Great Sand Dunes National Park?

Hi all,

Some friends and I are planning a trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park (CO). Does anyone have experience camping there? Is hammock camping an option at Piñon Flats Campground? Is it an option anywhere else in the park?

Regarding tent camping (blech), has anyone actually camped out IN the dunes? How was the experience? I feel like it would be more of a nuisance than a pleasure.

Thanks,

ufdigga

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've been there a couple times (great unique place) and don't see how a hammock would work without a hammock stand (Turtle Dog). I was in my pop-up so I do not have knowledge on the hammock camping rules. People do bivy camp in the dunes - the sand sure is hot during the day so you would want to hike in the evening and get out prior to 10AM.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Have been there twice, once as a kid in a travel trailer with no AC and once with my own children in a motor home with AC.

Liked it both times very much!

Don't remember any trees from which to hang.

But Cloudcroft is not far away by SW standards and has trees.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Have been there twice, once as a kid in a travel trailer with no AC and once with my own children in a motor home with AC.

Liked it both times very much!

Don't remember any trees from which to hang.

But Cloudcroft is not far away by SW standards and has trees.
    Is the OP asking about the dunes down in NM near Cloudcroft(Atomic Bomb test site) or the one across the northern NM border in Colorado's Sangre de Cristos??

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Thanks all!

Is the OP asking about the dunes down in NM near Cloudcroft(Atomic Bomb test site) or the one across the northern NM border in Colorado's Sangre de Cristos??
    I was asking about the Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado, adjacent to the Sangre de Cristos.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Love the Sand Dunes. Probably been there over 500 times. Never actually camped in the park though.

Pinion Flats does not have a ton of trees and I doubt you will be able to hang from them. There is a lot of national forest lands around the park if you don't have to stay within the park itself. If you have a 4x4, I would recommend you can pass through the park and camp up Medano Pass in the wilderness area. It is absolutely gorgeous up there, easy access to the Dunes, backcountry camping, great hiking, etc.

You won't be able to camp on the Dunes inside the park, but there are dunes outside the park to the southwest. Be prepared to share it with motorsports enthusiasts though.

The Dunes are massive. It will look like the tallest one is right there and it will tempt you to head out unprepared. However, the tallest ones are over 700 feet and are usually several layers back. As stated, it does get very hot on the sand. DON'T make the mistake of heading out barefoot without your shoes. Trust me on that one. Start early, get back early. Lots of sun screen. Lots of water.

Enjoy yourself. It is an amazing place.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    Love the Sand Dunes. Probably been there over 500 times. Never actually camped in the park though.

Pinion Flats does not have a ton of trees and I doubt you will be able to hang from them. There is a lot of national forest lands around the park if you don't have to stay within the park itself. If you have a 4x4, I would recommend you can pass through the park and camp up Medano Pass in the wilderness area. It is absolutely gorgeous up there, easy access to the Dunes, backcountry camping, great hiking, etc.

You won't be able to camp on the Dunes inside the park, but there are dunes outside the park to the southwest. Be prepared to share it with motorsports enthusiasts though.

The Dunes are massive. It will look like the tallest one is right there and it will tempt you to head out unprepared. However, the tallest ones are over 700 feet and are usually several layers back. As stated, it does get very hot on the sand. DON'T make the mistake of heading out barefoot without your shoes. Trust me on that one. Start early, get back early. Lots of sun screen. Lots of water.

Enjoy yourself. It is an amazing place.

Great info. Thank you!

Regarding Medano Pass Road: I have an unmodified Ford Explorer 4WD with road tires. That wouldn't be good enough to make it up that road, would it? If not, what about parking at the Point of No Return lot and hiking up?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    The condition of the road always changes, but you shouldn't have an issue with an Explorer (depending on the time of year). You don't need a lot of traction for the sand, more flotation. The issue arises with the tracks settling and leaving a high centerline that people get stuck on. There is also a small creek crossing that can be deep in the spring during runoff. The rest of the year it is easily passable. It is the low clearance AWD cars that always go past the point of no return and get stuck in the sand.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly - Camo
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    Woopies
    There is a camp ground which is a couple of miles outside the park (Zapata Falls Campground, Mosca, CO 81146) which has plenty of trees to hang your bag. I stayed there last year and it was quiet with good views and access to Zapata Falls which is a short but interesting hike. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the GSNP off Hwy 150. I am not sure if you need reservations as I was their in the off season (March 2014) but here is the information. You will not be disappointed in the location or the amenities.
    Zapata Falls Campground

This is a PAY campground. ($12 or less)
    BLM road 5415
    Blanca, Colorado
    GPS: 37.627609, -105.554642
    Directions
    Public - Forest Service (USDA) (Official)
    Website
    719-274-6301

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    A beautiful picture of the Sand Dunes that you may enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast