Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images

VERY Rainy Gear Test Hang

After seeing that the weather forecast for this past weekend was for rain all weekend, I decided to head to a state park and test out my diy hammock and tarp.

Originally, I had tentative plans to take my neice for her very first camping trip. We postponed our plans, but since I had most of the gear ready to go, I figured it would be a great opportunity to test things for bad weather. We ended up having historic rainfall amounts in many areas here in GA, along with devastating floods and a number of people lost their lives! Thankfully, I didn't have weather to THAT extent, but there were parts of my trip that were kinda scary.

I headed over to the park on Saturday afternoon. It was raining hard when I arrived. When I went to register at the office, the young girl working the desk asked, "Why would you want to camp alone in the rain?!?!" Sheesh, I guess SHE isn't a gearhead!

I chose a primitive campsite which I have used many times over the years. I have many happy memories of bringing my girls to camp there since they were little. The site is up a very muddy, rooty and rocky hill. It's not a long stretch, but it's the stuff 4 wheel drive is made for, even in good weather. Unfortunately, I don't have 4 wheel drive, and my tires are kinda getting bald, so it was an adventure in itself just getting into the campsite!

It was really pouring when I got up into the site, so I waited a while, hoping it would slow down. It didn't, so out I went.

On my diy tarp, I have linelocs and mini biners for the ridge attachments to the trees. Makes things a lot faster- usually! For whatever reason, I was having a heck of a time getting that tarp set up! I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it took me well over an hour! I think part of the reason was that it was raining SO hard, it was hard to handle things, and even to see. I wanted to set it up to have somewhat of a porch area to sit and cook under. I also wanted to place the one end lower to help the water drain away from the end I would be sitting under, to help prevent splash. I had my guylines configured wrong for having the one side up higher, so I had to undo knots from thin, very wet line, with slippery wet hands. It seemed to take forever!

Eventually, I did manage to get things situated, and the setup ended up working wonderfully! It really did help prevent a lot of splash, since most of the water heading down that end of the tarp was diverted to the other end.

After the tarp setup ordeal, I figured I had earned a cup of coffee and a snack, so I got out my beach chair and kitchen stuff, and had a nice break, while the rain came down in torrents and I wasn't getting any wetter.

Setting up the hammock under the tarp went a lot faster with my cinch buckle suspension and Dutch clips. I had a little trouble centering the hammock, since I couldn't really tell exactly where things were with the tarp already up. Thankfully, with the tarp being 9x11, it didn't really matter all that much if it wasn't 'just so'.

I brought my Nest underquilt, and a diy Climashield top quilt, and a pillow. The biggest concern dealing with those was not letting them fall on the extremely wet ground. Thankfully, all went well with getting those situated.

Not long after dark, things started getting interesting. I was sitting with my little candle lantern aglow, dreaming of future trips and gear projects, and all the while the rain was pouring down. Then, the wind picked up a little. Limbs started falling from trees. Trees started uprooting and falling. It was pitch black, and it was tough with the roaring rain to hear exactly where things were happening!

I had checked (very carefully) for 'widowmakers' before setting up, but some live limbs were even starting to come down! A limb came down on my car, but thankfully, it just broke into a bunch of small pieces and didn't do any damage.

I have to admit, I did consider high-tailing it outta there, but I also realized that I could encounter these conditions when out on the trail, and I really did want to see how the diy gear would hold up, so I opted to stay.

There's a tin-roofed privy at this site. Wouldn't you know it- it's right under an oak tree! Acorns kept falling with a loud "bang!" on the roof all night. Between the noise of the acorns, the roaring rain, and the raw fear I had of those falling trees and limbs, I didn't get much sleep Saturday night!

When I got up Sunday, I decided to stay another night! Call me crazy, but I really did want to give things a good foul-weather test, and the weather was definitely cooperating! I spent a good deal of the day relaxing and reading. It felt wonderful! Later, the rain started slowing down a bit and even though it had been raining the better part of close to a week, I went ahead and gathered up some tinder to test my firemaking skills. I cheated a little though-I had brought a couple of bundles of store-bought firewood with me. I would still have to get the fire going by using the small, wet tinder and kindling I had gathered though. I found some good 'snappy' small stuff in some of the limbs that had fallen during the night. Amazingly, the rain slowed almost to a stop around dusk, and stayed that way for a couple of hours. It wasn't easy, but I did manage to get a nice fire going and enjoyed it greatly, while it lasted. I even broke out the cocoa and cookies!

After that couple of hours was up though, it started pouring again, and didn't let up in any noticeable way. At one point, I was on my cell phone yakking with a friend, and they told me the sound of the rain was almost hurting their ear!

That night, I got up at 3am to empty my bladder. When I went to get back into my hammock, I noticed there was water on my netting down near the foot end. I also noticed that my hammock was wet inside! Water had found it's way through my tarp where I had sewn on a small flashlight loop, and was slowly dripping down into my hammock.

I was very glad I had the Climashield quilt, rather than my NS. I went ahead and got back in the hammock and made the best of it. Thankfully, it was wetting the hammock more on the side where my feet do NOT go. Odd that in spite of all the rain I had already had up to that point, the tarp wasn't leaking until then. In a way, I was glad it happened, so now I know where I need a bit more sealing. I'd rather find out on a car camping trip, than on a backpacking trip!

I am confident that after a dab of sealer, I can definitely trust this tarp for whatever rain would come my way on the trail. There was an incredible amount of rain while I was there!

A couple of observations I'll share...

This diy hammock was made from walmart fabric. It definitely absorbed moisture from the air. It was yukky feeling by the second day. Next hammock will be 1.1 or 1.9 dwr!

My JRB Nest underquilt stayed amazingly dry feeling and fluffy!

While a 9x11 tarp is indeed relatively large, I am extremely glad it is! I not only had plenty of 'living' space, but I think the extra length allowed me to pitch it up a bit higher, allowing more air circulation without sacrificing coverage. The rain didn't mist into the ends far enough to get any part of the hammock wet. Sure this tarp is a bit heavier than some, but after this experience, it confirms that some weight is really worth carrying!

Cinch buckles- couldn't be easier! Another plus was that all the water that accumulated in the straps dripped right off at the buckle area.

Dutch clips- LOVE 'EM!! I checked things out when I was breaking down, and there was no sign of stress on the straps. Again, couldn't be easier!

And finally, I strongly suggest that everyone really test out their gear in the worst possible conditions before heading out into the wilderness. Things may seem fast and easy in your backyard on a nice day, but when some serious weather hits, it's a whole different ball game!

I was only able to take a few photos, and only a couple really came out ok enough to see...

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I love hanging in the rain! I have a couple of DIY tarps and always want to test em in the rain but never have the guts. I did, however, sleep under my SG 9x9 in hours of pouring rain. I have used it in drizzles, and moderate rain, but this weekend really let me know I can trust it when doesnt let up for hours!

Great report, makes me want to go again this weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Rain=solitude!
    sounds lovely...thanks for the report
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Perkolady, You get the "Trooper" Award. Your report is excellent...provides some simple answers to some fundamental issues, like how to stay dry in a flood. Well done! Thanks.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    That is a fine bit of 'research', with great writing to match. Outstanding!
    ...and the fish motif on the chair seems appropriate.

- Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    SuperTrooper!

Great report. I would be a bit nervous with trees and branches falling all over too. I need to check out my gear next time bad weather is forcast...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Sounds like great times,,, uprooting and falling trees would make me nurvous too...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Perk, we're gonna change your trailname to Noah since you survived the flood!! Wow! You really put your DIY gear through the washer! Your stuff really held up amazingly well in such nasty, nasty rain.

If you make a hammock out of DWR are you worried about body condensation making it wet?

Big tarps are great aren't they? What a nice setup you had, even if the conditions were less than ideal. You were still able to enjoy the outdoors and even cook and relax (kinda) through all of that.

Thanks for the report!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    If you make a hammock out of DWR are you worried about body condensation making it wet?
    No, I will use regular 1.1 dwr, which is breathable. Same stuff as quilts, and like a BB hammock are made of.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    thanks, I enjoyed reading about the adventure.

But dang, up a hill in the middle of storm at night, limbs falling, trees toppling,

and you didn't make a video

great report!!

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast