Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermalite Scout
    Suspension
    Webbing straps

What rainfly suspension and guy out lines should I use on a Kelty Noah's 12?

I'm pretty new to hammock camping. I just got a Kelty Noah's 12 tarp and I want to hang it in a square config (not hex). I need to have a ridge suspension for the tarp and then I need to have 6 guy line tie outs.

I've learned that I need to use shock cord loops on the guy lines. Do I need them on the ridge line? Should i hang a ridgeline above or below the tarp? or should I just use the tie out loops on the ends?

Why use Zing it or Lash it over the nite ize glow in the dark, paracord, or other stuff available at Wally World? What hardware do you recommend to tension the guy lines?

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Well, you don't want to use paracord because it will stretch causing your tarp to sag over time.

I typically use grey Lashit or Nite Ize glow cord.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermalite Scout
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    Well, you don't want to use paracord because it will stretch causing your tarp to sag over time.

I typically use grey Lashit or Nite Ize glow cord.
    What's the difference in the grey lash it and the Nite Ize glow cord? is one stronger or more durable?

Would you use one over the other for a ridgeline or guy lines?

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    LashIt and ZingIt are smaller diameter cord (usually 1.75mm) hollow cord and lighter than Nite Ize (about 2.5mm). Nite Ize is a braided core rope and has a reflective strip running through the outer braid, making it more visible when you shine your head lamp at it.

No real reason to choose one over the other except for personal preference and weight.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I like for my ridgeline to go under to tarp for better support and I hang stuff from it as well. Paracord will stretch and absorb water allowing it to drip back under the tarp. I use lash it with a prussick loop on one side with a micro biner on the end and clip and adjust as needed. The other end has a Dutch Wasp that allows me to tighten up and secure the tarp line easily. The tarp is attached to the ridgeline with prussicks to easily center it over the hammock.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Well actually there is. Lash-it and Zing-it are hollow core and can be spliced. Knots weaken ALL cordage,

For RL purposes most use the above products. You end up with a lighter, stronger, cleaner looking piece of gear.

Above or below the Tarp RL is pretty much up to you. You won't experience undue wear running it under instead of over, and I think it hangs better.HYOH

The Lash-it or Zing-it strength-wise are stronger than one actually needs for either application. It's stronger than the surrounding tarp material. In theory you'd actually want it to snap before the Tarp tears. Much cheaper to repair or replace a length of cordage than a tear in the actual tarp.

Same principle applies to tie outs. Even more so it seems, as many prefer the Glowire, or No-Tangle cordages to be used here.

Plenty of hardware out there to help make connections w/o using knots. The best and lightest made by Dutchware Gear are designed to be used on the Lash-it Zing-it or Amsteel Blue, so that doesn't hurt popularity either, If you use the larger heavier stuff, you'll be resigned to using Niteyes or similar, larger, bulkier products offered at the same places you buy the all purpose cordage.

Hope that elps!
    Signature suspended

I'm cheap. I use a polyester cord maybe 3/16 or 1/4" from lowes. It's like 4-5 for hundred feet. Low stretch, knots well. I run mine under my Noah 12 with a clove hitch around one tree and a taunt line hitch around the other so I can pull tight. Then 2 short pieces from tarp loops to ridge line also with taught line hitch to pull tarp tight. Use them for guy outs as well. I don't like hardware. Tend to loose it often so I learned several handy knots. Just don't over think it.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dobber View Post
    I'm cheap. I use a polyester cord maybe 3/16 or 1/4" from lowes. It's like 4-5 for hundred feet. Low stretch, knots well. I run mine under my Noah 12 with a clove hitch around one tree and a taunt line hitch around the other so I can pull tight. Then 2 short pieces from tarp loops to ridge line also with taught line hitch to pull tarp tight. Use them for guy outs as well. I don't like hardware. Tend to loose it often so I learned several handy knots. Just don't over think it.
    That stuff works too. I use it mainly for prototypes and they usually end up in use much longer than intended, so not a bad place to start. I'm the same about hardware as you are with knots. With extreme cold or an injured finger tip, using knots would be nothing short of torture. I also had Dutch splice his hardware on to my RL. Losing hardware is no longer an option.

There is no ONE way to do it. There is however, an actual consensus concerning this on HF.
    Signature suspended

I can understand the cold. We just don't have much where I live. Maybe a couple nights where we see 0 but usually our cold weather camping is in the 15-30 degree range. Personally I can deal with the injured fingers and tips. My day job supplies plenty of injuries.

I think most people tend to over think camping. It's supposed to be fun, not a chore. So try different things and pick the ones that suit you and forget the others. I may eventually look into the Dutch stuff. Just haven't needed to so far. I do hear it's really neat though.

Tarp
    Noah 12 right now
    Insulation
    HG Pincubator
    Suspension
    15 Kevlar Brecket
    550 cord with carabiners for ridgeline, through the center loop above the tarp, (I wish tarps had inside connectors for internal ridgelines...) mason line for the 4 tie-outs. Mason line is eye looped and connected to the tarp with small metal S biners. I carry 4 short 6ft sections and 2 long 16 foot for using in porch mode. I picked that length so I can double back for a 2 to 1 leverage. I'd like the expensive line but this is what I have and it works fine, upgrade if you want to but this "will" "work" just fine...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast