Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Vertical, the liners would not fit in the included / built-in stuff sack if I left them on the hammock. Supposedly there is a way to fold the Vertex into a nice wonderful rectangular shape but after a good 40 tries I have yet to figure it out. It always looks like something of a meteor or asteroid after a few good impacts. <grin>

As noted in one picture, the two liners squished into their included sack are actually a little larger in volume than the hammock (but less than half the weight). I did try them in a compression sack once and got that down to about half the size but there is no reasonable way it would work in the normal manner. That being said, if you wanted to leave them on I can't imagine any reason not to just use a regular stuff sack and put the whole kit 'n kaboodle in it rather than use the built-in sack. I might try that at some point but the way they go on and off so quickly doesn't add much time or effort.

I was also a bit curious how well the Velcro will last but it does look like they used some thick and well-reinforced nylon-like threads and even after a few good tugs there isn't a hint of wear on them. So far, like the rest of the product, it seems very solid and well thought out.

(Picture as from above, the liners are in the top bag, the hammock in the bottom. As you can see there isn't a realistic way to make it fit in the included stock bag)

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Outstanding review!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Are you able to get much of a diagonal lay in the hammocks? One or both of you? Is it necessary?
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I finally figured out there is actually a foot area if you want to do the diagonal yet I've been doing either back or side sleeping up to now. If you want the diagonal you are going to probably want to have it hung a bit tighter (but not enough to stress the zippers at the corners). It's the kind of thing that will only make sense when you have the hammock in front of you. I'ts not really a necessary thing but you can do it.

(Keeping in mind I'm 6'1 and she's about 5'8 for reference)

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by VerticalX View Post
    I have wondered if the 'velcro' would show wear-and-tear with continued install and removal..
    I was a little worried about that and have waited to comment. The Vertex and Z-liners have now been used a good 20x (okay, I would say I camp too much but when is ever too much?) So far not a single sign of wear, thread pull, or pilling. The liners, hammock, and the Velcro to attach are all like-new. I couldn't be more impressed with the quality. It's a bit of an outlay as the Clark's are not cheap but I am glad to say that so far I have definitely gotten my monies worth out of them. Should something change I will update this thread.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 / Vertex
    Tarp
    Superfly/Vertex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Adventure Myk, I just got a brand new vertex last week. I have read a couple of places where there should be 2 side pockets per side - one by the foot end, which mine has - and one by the head end, which mine doesn't have. Do you have 1 pocket per side or two?

I have hung it up once in the back yard, I hate the suspension so I ordered whoopies right away and will play around with it more when I get them in. I have a two night trip coming up and can't wait to test it out. I didn't order the Z-Liners, I have 2 DIY down quilts that I think will fit.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Mine only have the foot pockets. The ones by the head would have been nice. I might make something that will Velcro in between the Linder and the hammock but the center storage is more than I have ever needed.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    That was a very good review and the pictures were great. Looks like you enjoyed yourselves!

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    I thoroughly enjoyed your positive review of the Vertex, to the point I have been now considering buying one the whole morning !

I will certainly send Clark an email to get more details about the various models, but I decided to first ask my questions here, as they might arise new ideas.

I do not fully understand the Z liners insulation system.
    Am I correct by saying that there is no double layer in this hammock and that this underquilt simply velcroes underside the single layer hammock ? Looking at the picture it actually looks like a sencond hammock : z_liner.jpg Is it a second layer attached to the first layer ? It looks like Warbonnet's Wooki, actually !

Now, how to cut some weight out of this tank ?

Can you remove completely the bug net and/or the top cover ?

There is a substantial 8 oz difference between the VX, which is the "full winter" model and the Vertex with climashield, which is the "winterizable" model.
    In the comparision chart Hammock_Comparison_Full_Current.pdf, the only difference between the two is an apparently special insulation the VX has consisting of "insulating pockets" (?) and an "access to storage from interior zippers", which after some pondering I suspect is the same thing.
    These pockets are advertised as such by Clark :
    You also get six insulating pockets, postitioned under the heaviest parts of your body to restore warmth. You will have zippered access to these pockets from inside the hammock. As you place extra gear in the pockets, they will reach their potential to keep you warm down to freezing temperatures, keeping you from having to bring a pad or underquilt on most trips.
    It apparently shares this feature with the "North American" and "Nx-270" models. I also found this picture on the web (not sure it applies namely to the Vertex model, though, as it was labelled z_liner_250) : z_liner_250.jpg Also there seem to be 7 compartments on this picture, whereas they say there are only 6 insulating pockets.

So this hammock wouldn't be either a single layer, nor a double layer. It would be a single layer with 6 pockets with zippers where you can throw your spare cloths from the inside, and that should keep you warm, - sometimes they say "in the summer", sometimes "down to freezing" (???!!!) I admit it is the weirdest thing I have ever heard of since I got interested in hammocks.

Anyone familiar with this novelty ?

Looking at ways to reduce weight and improve insulation, I thought about using it with a torso lenght underquilt like the Warbonnet Yeti and a foam pad in the bottom pocket, maybe, if that corresponds to the dawing ???

Do you think a partial lenght underquilt would work with this hammock (I mean two, if there are two people inside).
    If it is just two hammocks linked by some fabric in the middle, like two gathered ends, with one head end and one foot end each, where you could attach the underquilt with a carabiner, for example, I do not see why it wouldn't.
    In my experience, the Yeti doesn't need many adjustments, and you can reach it from inside your hammock easily, so that should work ? With two 20° Winter Yetis and pieces of foam pads for the feet, that would cut 16 oz compared to their own synthetic underquilts, would be less bulky, and warmer.

Also, do you know what are the dimensions of the insulated area of these ad hoc synthetic underquilts (Z-liners) ? And what happens to the "insulating pockets" when adjusting the Z-liners, do they just get squashed ?

Now, second big question, or third : how do they cut more than two pounds from these winter or winterizable models with their Double-V model by just removing the bugnet and the top cover ("climashield") ? Do these two items weight that much (with their zippers...) ? Or are there some other features missing in that Double-V model compared to the Vertex with climashield ? Oh, ok, I am guessing it is the missing flexible tent poles ! Good idea, and it still seems pretty well protected from the wind on the head end ! double_v.jpg No bug net, though But wait, what are these weird vertical suspension ropes at the back ?! Does this thing attach vertically ???!
    Still, this Double-V is a pretty light hammock, for two people, I would be curious to see more pictures !

I also noted that I will most probably want to change the stock suspension.
    I was thinking about a "hammock anchor", from butt in a sling : http://www.buttinasling.com/hammock-anchors-pair.html. It seems that if I opt for the water breaking ring built in on the Vertex, I will have the continuous loop the ring is inserted in already installed. I should be able to hang this continuous loop to the hook directly. This way, I won't have to remove their suspension to place a continuous loop instead, right ?

Anyway, a very attractive hammock !

Any idea how comfortable it is compared to a BlackBird XLC or a Ridgerunner, if anyone has tried both ?
    Last edited by Rouskof; 03-17-2017 at 08:12.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I looked into getting one of these, even had the chance to try one out to see how we'd fit. To be clear, we haven't purchased one yet, we're waiting for an 11' version but we're not holding our breath.

The double-v does not have the canopy, bugnet, poles, zippers or velcro down the middle for insulation. That's probably where the weight difference come from. You can request velcro down the middle if you call Clarke to order. I responded to your post in the BIAS forum. I would think that the hammock anchors would work for the vertex, provided you used four of them. I don't know what diameter of cord Clarke uses for the hammock loops, but I believe the anchors only work with 7/64, I also could be wrong.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast