Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sewing Silnylon

I'm curious what you use for a foot with SilNylon. A normal presser foot or a walking foot? I have both and am hoping to modify my hammock camping gear including a new tarp.
    Thanks

Thanks a lot guys! Lots of good tips! I'd also be curious if the type of foot used makes a significant difference? Also, does silnylon iron ok? Would I be able to iron a fold to make hemming the edges a little easier?

I have only worked with silnylon once, to make my hex tarp. For the ridge seam I used pins spaced maybe 12 - 18 inches apart. I used the walking foot and the initial line of stitches came out perfect straight. It wasn't too hard just hold the two layers together taut. The other two lines of stitches in the flat fell / french seam (from diygearsupply.com "Basic Sewing Skills") wandered on me in a few parts but that first line is the one that counts when you pitch the tarp and get a perfect ridgeline.

For hemming the sides I used the normal foot on my machine. I found it quicker and easier if I folded once and sewed, then folded over again and sewed again. I used some pins while hemming the edges also. The silnylon was really slippery so I had to hold the fold while sewing but the pins farther down made it easier to keep the hem even.

ARCHER11: I found the walking foot made it easy for the ridgeline but I didn't need it for the edges. When I made my tarp was the first time I had used a walking foot. I was impressed by it and I had no difficulties with the top and bottom layers lining up. A walking foot jig came with my sewing machine, but I think that if you don't have one it's not a necessity. Having one can make things just a little easier. A hot iron is not recommended with silnylon, I think it could melt to your iron.

Cheers

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Sewing Silnylon

I didn't have a walking foot, so I used just a regular presser foot. I never tried using an iron on the SilNylon because I was afraid it would melt to the iron. I didn't even feel like it was necessary. For rolled hem, just fold over once, then a second time and then slide it under your presser foot enough to be able to hold it from the front and back. It goes pretty smoothly once started. You may have to stop and fold every 12"-18", that seems to work just fine. For ridgeline, I just lined up and held my two pieces of SilNylon and got the first few stitches started to begin with and then every couple of feet I'd stop to line up the next couple of feet of the two sides. Once you get the two sides sewn together, it goes much easier for the rest of the flat felled/french seam hybrid ridgeline. Good luck with your project!
    Last edited by NWAlabamaHiker; 04-25-2015 at 08:28.
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12