Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Question

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Racinian goodies huh? Cut into serving size pieces and freeze?? Should be perfect by Sat morning I'd think
    Someone is hot on the scent!

Well, that's half of us voting for a potluck. What does the other half think? Everyone bringing one dish to share?
    (insert pithy quote here)

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    So it looks to be just 3 of us. Grizzly and deburrito cant make it.
    Anyone know what time they are shooting for?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    I will not be able to make it for the last weekend of May. Hopefully June will be less complicated.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Still unsure. Hopefully not long after noon if things work out. They're saying it'll be soggy Friday night and frosty Saturday night.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    It sounds like noone is going so I am going to go ahead and say I am not going to waste the 1.5 hour drive instead going fishing and eat breakfast unless I hear someone else pipe up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Calm down son. Just talked to Goobie, he and I will be there. Both trying to leave by noon and race each other up. 1-1/2 hour drive? Shoot, we each have a four hour drive ahead of us. By the way, one other HF guy won't make Friday but may make the rest of the weekend.

Good weekend to test gear. Rain Friday, windy Saturday, chance of frost Saturday night. Going to be tough Saturday using a fly rod with winds of 12mph and gusts 20+mph. Panfish and bass are on their beds now, great time to slay 'em with a fly rod.

But hey, suit yourself. Whether you show or not, we'll have a good time. I've been soloing in WI's northwoods since the early 1990s. Spent hundreds of days (and nights) in the Northwoods. Even more down south here. Most of it cross country, which means off of groomed trails by the way. Heck, I've done over a hundred nights in a hammock in a single year. Sounds like Goobie is an old pro as well. Even if no one else shows up, I'll be out there and there will be a Trail Report forthcoming.

This is an area I plan on frequenting in all seasons. It's worth the drive to me just to see how well the many hours of virtual scouting I put in match reality. That will pay off on future trips. And of course, always worth the drive just to be out in the woods for a few days.

This is a great area to collect fatwood and birch bark in. Chaga is a possibility, as I have found it in Langlade county. Not much flint for F&S in most spots up there yet several times in the past I have been successful with quartz, granite and sandstone gathered thereabouts. There are dozens of wild edible plants that are gatherable this time of year as well. And hopefully a fish fry or two. Plenty of fun to be had. As if hiking and hanging wasn't enough!!

Should I call you when I'm up there??

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Ya did not mean it that way. I am typing on a iphone here with limited reception. I was just asking cause if noone was going to show up I am aready next to a lake butted up against a nature reserve and would only have to walk to get to a nice place.
    I see you there later.....dad.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Smile

Howdy y'all,

I got back late last night from the JST area. Spent Saturday afternoon until Wednesday afternoon hanging up there solo. Took notes and a bunch of pics, will publish a Trip Report when I get a chance, hopefully next week.

A few quick thoughts:

1. Weather and Backup Plans.

On Friday through Saturday morning the JST area had horrible weather. Think torrential rain and high winds. Driving up Saturday morning my truck was being tossed around and one of my windshield wipers was literally blown off. In the future we should think about having a backup site. In this case, one of the Fanny Lake sites or a site at the Boot Lake campground. Most of the sites at both are hangable by the way. Most are first come so that will make communication critical.

2. Communication aka Comms.

I experienced no service to one bar everywhere I went unless I found a relatively clear spot such as standing knee deep in a lake. Constantly looking for service really chowed the battery. Perhaps for future events we should set up specific comm times like 6am and 6pm or noon each day or some such. Anyhow, getting a group of guys together takes good comms and we learned that the hard way this trip. Perhaps if more people were willing to step up.... just sayin'.

What recognition signals have been used in past group hangs? Obviously you won't see our hammocks while they're in our packs. Something to think about.

3. The Shelter

Boy was that a let down! All of the trail reports I found online as well as looking at several map and satellite views led me to believe that was a solid destination to meet up at. For example, one of the four trails to the shelter was so flooded that wading through knee deep water was the only way to cross the bridge.

More on that in the Trip Report. I will put a link to the Trip Report (when I post it) here in this thread as well.

Sure, things did not go as smoothly as we had hoped. What else could one expect on a first trip to a new area? Especially with the curveball the wind and rain dished out. Both were much worse than ususal. Such is life in the backcountry!! Ya gotta roll with the punches and surf what nature dishes out.

For me it was a great trip all in all. Wonderful weather, bugs were minimal, lots of wildlife, spectacular views, fun trails, fish were biting, the rains reduced the fire danger so cooking along the trail was safe, etc, etc. Loons, Ruffed Grouse, Whip-poor-wills, Barred Owls, Screech Owls, Red-tailed hawks, Wolf scat, etc. Wonderful just standing there listening to the wind in the pines. Couldn't have asked for anything more!!

Loons calling on the lake as the full moon is rising, breeze gently swaying the hammock as I drifted off..... yeah, good times!!!
    Last edited by Dux; 06-04-2015 at 16:35.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Leaving the Fanny Lake trailhead.

The flooded trail from the north bridge across Mary Creek. Knee deep from the bridge half way to where the water ends.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Swimming in Fanny Lake.

The Adirondack shelter between Upper and Lower Jones Lakes. Eva has two questions on her mind, "Where is everyone?" and "When is lunch?".

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast