Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBrown54 View Post
    I really appreciate the replies.

As mentioned, the issue with bridge hammocks and most for that matter, is $$$$$. At this point I'm heavily invested into tent camping with an UL solo tent, thermarest and 20* down bag. The prices of hammocks, tarps and UQ's is intimidating to say the least. I can't really afford to dive in head first YET. I'll definitely try to find a hangout but I doubt anything happens around NE Ohio locally, it's pretty boring around here.

I figure I can use my 20* down GoLite bag as a top quilt even though it's a few oz more. So I only have to buy a tarp, hammock and UQ. I'm fuzzy on what temp rating I'd need for an UQ. Is that rating for the UQ without top insulation? I would think a 20* bag and a 40* UQ would be safe down to 20 degrees, right? I still have a lot of reading to do but at least you guys have given me some bread crumbs to follow, so thanks!
    You lose a lot of heat from below with air circulating below you. I wouldn't use a 40* underquilt in temps under that rating, even with a warmer top quilt/sleeping bag. In fact, with sleeping in a hammock most people agree under insulation is more important than what's on top. If you aren't fully ready to take the plunge, you can always start with a cheap closed cell foam pad for under insulation. I started with an old sleeping bag, a pad, and a blue walmart tarp to test things out. I've since upgraded every one of those items but it got me started and convinced me it was something worth spending more money on. If you start that way and find you like it you can always sell some of your expensive ground dweller gear and put that money towards underquilts and tarps, etc.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    What's your height and weight? That will give us a better idea for hammock recommendations. Many folks who are over 6 ft. tall seem to do better with a longer hammock. I personally like wider hammocks ( at least 64 inches wide). You could start with a simple double layer hammock and use your thermarest and sleeping bag. Invest in a good tarp, and save money towards an UQ.

I can use a very small pillow in the hammock, but I need a larger one for tent sleeping. Getting on your side in a regular, gathered end hammock takes practice, but it 100% doable.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Good points! I am male, 5'9", 165 pounds and like long walks on the beach. I could use the pad if I had to but I'm kinda looking forward to ditching it entirely because it's over a pound and doesn't pack down very small so it takes up more space in my pack than all other gear. I could probably get a decent price out of my pad and tent since I've only had them out for one overnighter.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Most people have a lot of hesitation when switching over to hammock camping but very few who take the plunge ever go back to the ground. My original plan was just to use a hammock only for backpacking trips and use my tents for car camping etc. I now sleep in a hammock on any Campout and sometimes at home in the back yard. It takes a little getting used to but you should know pretty quickly whether or not is for you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In a hammock, bottom insulation is more important than top insulation. If you're thinking about sleeping in 20* weather, get at least a 20* UQ.

I also used to be heavily invested in tent camping, but Hurricane Sandy took away all my tent gear so I didn't have to burn it in the back yard.

Hammocks, tarps and UQs don't have to be expensive if you're willing to make a few sacrifices.

Since you already have a TQ, here's a couple of suggested setups:

Dutch 11 ft. NylonD hammock with Whoopie Hook suspension $76
    Dutch Fronkey Style bugnet $50
    Warbonnet Superfly $130
    HG Phoenix 20* UQ $200
    Total $456

Or

Dutch 11 ft. NylonD hammock with Whoopie Hook suspension $76
    Dutch Fronkey Style bugnet $50
    Kelty Noah 12 tarp $70
    Jarbidge synthetic UQ $100
    Total $296

Things can get expensive if you're weight conscious. Down is the lightest insulation but also the most expensive. Cuben fiber is the lightest tarp, but also the most expensive. You have to decide what's important to you.

I know when I started, hammock camping gave me sticker shock. I used a pad as underinsulation for two years, and might still be using one, but I got too much condensation with pads below 25 degrees. I also didn't have a proper tarp for the first two years - I got by with a $30 heavy polyester GT Funky Forest tarp. I might still be using that tarp if I were a fair weather camper, but I'm not.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Understanding your concerns about insulation and pricing, I'll offer a suggestion. If you have two sleeping bags you can place one in the hammock then either use the other like a top quilt or sleep in it like normal on top of that lower bag. This will provide an acceptable layer of insulation top and bottom for your purposes. Note that the compression of the lower bag in this scenario will reduce the temp rating somewhat. For example if a 20° bag, it may only get you into the mid to upper 30s. This is a factor of the quality of the bag and the amount of compression plus the exterior conditions like wind, humidity, altitude, etc.

A related option would be to use the same set up but place a sheet of relectix inside the base sleeping bag or between the bottom bag and the top bag (not inside the bag with you). There can and likely will be some condensation in this form but it will extend the temperature rating lower than the first option.

Lastly, there is always the option to take a second sleeping bag and convert it into an under quilt and use it that way.There are threads on this forum that will guide you in that avenue nicely. All of these options get you hanging and with just a minimum of expense as you are using the equipment you are already so heavily invested in. All of these should be attempted in a safe location where you can easily bail out and not in the wilderness where a failure could be costly, as in your health or your life.

The bottom line is you have a lot of options and re-purposing equipment you have will get you in the know and increase the experience level at a natural progression. There are a lot of us that started out slow, dumb and cheap and have grown quick, smarter and....more frugal in our choices and know better what works for us. What we need and what we want are not always the same.

I bid you welcome. Come on in. The learning is fine.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Just pillow talk here.

I started out with the standard clothes in a stuff sack from GD days, then quickly realized it called for a different color of pony. I won a very nice handmade camp pillow at a gear raffle and it nearly killed me the first night, In the end I started using a fleecie I'd been dragging around to quell my insulation fears, The real pluses for me were, I was already carrying it, no new gear. I could fold roll or wad it up to suit any position I'd end up in. I sleep hard asym, so rolling on one side or the other, creates a unique lay, that requires different neck support. I use the fleecie and now adjust it half asleep as if I'd been doing so all my life.

Side sleeper in bed, I start out and sleep most the night in hammock on my back. Near morning I'll roll to my right, for a while, then roll to my left for a bit. Roll back, sit up, stand up, smile at how good my back feels all decompressed.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBrown54 View Post
    Good points! I am male, 5'9", 165 pounds and like long walks on the beach. I could use the pad if I had to but I'm kinda looking forward to ditching it entirely because it's over a pound and doesn't pack down very small so it takes up more space in my pack than all other gear. I could probably get a decent price out of my pad and tent since I've only had them out for one overnighter.
    You're kind of on the cusp height wise between a 10 and 11 foot hammock. Since you know that you have back and neck issues, then I'd say go with the 11 footer. Your weight gives you lot of options on hammock fabrics. Since you want to ditch the pad, then go single layer. Silver Surfer gave some great options. Another option is to keep an eagle eye on the For Sale Forum. Really nice gear at lower prices come up all the time. That's another way to cut costs and get good stuff.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12