Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    diy polyfil
    Suspension
    ring/cinch
    dont do like me, walk your scouts in 14 degree weather and a foot of snow a mile out, and let the parents talk you into adding a 3 mile look to it. Still being asked about my Donner party hike.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'll echo some of the comments from some of the other Scouters here - you can view and download the Guide to Safe Scouting, but it's going to be important to make sure that you have trained adults on the campout, including Baloo (basic adult leader outdoor orientation), etc... so that you can be compliant with the guidelines for Cub Scouting, which is very different from Boy Scouting. At this point it's not the same as going on a campout with your own kids, and because of that staying within the context of Scouting will guarantee that your unit can continue to operate under the BSA Charter.

I was surprised, too, at the restrictions. But be patient, if you progress into a great Troop (preferably boy-led) there will be plenty of adventure for your scouts, and they'll have a great time. Meanwhile, get a campsite at a local State Park or similar, and do some day hikes. This is a cool opportunity for the boys to start building their 10 Essentials kits, and for you to work on your outdoor activity award. I hope you don't mind all of the links - when I started Cub Scouting I really didn't know about all of the resources and awesome things that we could do with the boys, and unfortuately it's a very mature program. Good luck with Scouting!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7Dl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Once you have all the requirements figured out, I would recommend Big Hill Pond in TN http://tnstateparks.com/parks/about/big-hill-pond. We take our Cub Scout Pack here every year. We stay in the camp ground but day hike their trails. They have a loop that traverses bottom-land via a boardwalk that leads to a climb to the top of a fire tower lookout then back across the levee to the parking area.
    I would estimate this loop around 2 miles although you can add distance as required with other sections. The trails are marked very well and you can pick a map up at the ranger station.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by babybigfoot13 View Post
    I know someone on here can answer all my questions so I'm going to give it a go. I'm looking for a place in NW Mississippi to take a couple of cub scouts hiking. We are a newly formed group so these kids and parents don't have a lot of hiking gear but they all have camping stuff. Some more than others. But my idea is to have the kids hike for a ways and then have a rendezvous spot that some one can meet us with a truck full of tents and equipment and is hike about a1\2 mile into the woods and spend the night. Get up the next morning bring stuff back to truck and hike back out.
    Next is: How many miles can I expect to get out of a bunch of 7 to 11 year old? This will effect the distance from the drop off to the truck spot.
    Anyone have an idea of someplace that meets both criteria?
    I'd keep it to about 3 miles or so at most. (I say this as a current Boy Scout Assistant Scoutmaster, who started out as a Tiger Cub Den leader 8 years ago). If you have more 7 yr olds than 11 yr olds, I'd lower that to two miles. I'd also rethink walking 1/2 mile with tents and stuff, if the boys/families haven't been outdoors much. I like the hike in, but I'd make it more like 100 yards from the trucks to camp. If this was primarily Webelos or experienced outdoor families, the 1/2 mile is reasonable, though.

Edit: I read the rest of the thread after posting the above.

I'd like to add--you have to have Baloo training (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation training), and I will amend the above to say, you need a campground with running water and bathrooms. I'd plan a plop campout (car camping), and hike during the day. G2SS is linked below. You are required to have a copy with you while doing any outdoor activity with Scouts.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...y/GSS/toc.aspx

That said, your plan would be a great one for new Boy Scouts without backpacking type gear.
    Last edited by perdidochas; 04-24-2015 at 10:39.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Ask your local council, I believe it's the Chickasaw Council 901.327.2010.

Being a Cubmaster, the last thing I would do is ask for advice from complete strangers over the internet. Do your best.
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Although I agree with almost all being said here, I can't disagree with this more. Or maybe its just a statement about what you would do and not an offer of direction for anyone else.

To Roche, I am all about everyone having the right to their opinion, and if that's all that was so be it. I would highly encourage any leader to gather as much information from whatever source to enhance their boys experiences in the woods. Why are any of us even on this forum if not to ask for, or gather, advise from strangers over the internet?
    Because a five minute phone call to the people who are both accountable and experienced with the area will answer all of the OP's questions. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line...

I'm off to work a rainy Cub Scout camp-out at Camp Buck Toms. God help anyone who uses the excuse "sorry, I read on the Internet I could do blah, blah, blah..."

Campsite 13. See you there Roche.

Hammock
    WBBB, GT UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3S Yeti, HG Inncub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You should be a part of the Chickasaw Council. I would recommend using Camp Currier. Plenty of campsites you can use and there is quite a few trails you can hike. They are undergoing significant improvements. There are also some Camporees and Webelos Woods scheduled there I do believe. There is a new ranger there and he may appreciate any service work your den/pack might be willing to do as well.
    "Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations"

Hammock
    diy 1.6oz HyperD ripstop
    Tarp
    1.9oz ATACS
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the responses. We've camped at Camp Courier several times and petite Jeane a couple of times but was looking for something new. Some of the parents have asked for such a trip and it is my responsibility to find the trips for the boys and set them up,and plan them out. But, like mentioned above several times, I have got to get it all approved by our cub master first. They are the ones that give the final OK. Then I go to work planning out activities that can be done and food. We take a vote to finalize everything. Get it approved by the scout master again and then I go to work again setting it up. Don't want anyone to think we are an outlaw bunch of scouts, or that we would go on a trip just because a stranger on the Internet tools us to. Research is the second step an idea is the first, and that's what I was looking for. Thanks to all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12