Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SF tarp set up and Dutch gear questions

I just got my SF and have a couple of set up questions:

1. I have seen different set up configurations with the ridge line. Is the tarp suppose to be set up above or below the ridge line?

2. I ordered the Dutch 30' ridge line with tator targp connectors. The SF end loops are smaller than a dime and too big for the tator connectors. Do I need to order bigger loops? Any thoughts?

3. I ordered Dutch 2 tarp door hooks for the doors but neglected to order tarp door lines. Should I order 4 lines for each tarp door flap? or just 2 lines? and what material and size of lines should I order?

The tarp is designed to be used without a Ridgeline. You certainly can use a ridgeline above or below whatever you prefer. But I have over 300 nights in all different weather like summer storms and even a blizzard and have always just rigged it the way Brandon shows in his video, with no issues.
    I also would refer to his video for line lengths
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    In my opinion go with a set of stingerz from dutch, get them with the 12 ft of zing it on each one, very easy set up and it's what i have on my wife's superfly and they work perfect, i would say go ahead and talk to Dutch about it, he will probably let you swap but i think he is at the Mahha until monday.

There is nothing stopping you putting the line above or below, whichever you prefer. However, the tarp is cut with a curved ridge, if you want to work with/preserve that curve, then you'll need to either run end tie outs, or use the continuous line above the ridge. If you run it underneath, then the CRL will have a tendency to interfere with the cut curve in the tarp.

Hammock
    Hammeck netty & NX-270
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    Whoopy-Slings
    The end loops look to small for the Tator connectors but they are not. I have them on my S.F.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    What everyone said is spot on, I personally use the tato tarp connectors at home on my Hennessy tarp but on my backpacking tarps I use stingerz and 12' of zing it and found that Brandon videos shows what works the best for his tarps. I've also found that unless it's pouring rain for long periods I do not need tensioners. Just my experience.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    What everyone said is spot on, I personally use the tato tarp connectors at home on my Hennessy tarp but on my backpacking tarps I use stingerz and 12' of zing it and found that Brandon videos shows what works the best for his tarps. I've also found that unless it's pouring rain for long periods I do not need tensioners. Just my experience.
    Stingers work great.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    WBBB XLC multicam
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20deg
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I was setting my SF up without a ridgeline - just two 12' pieces of zing-it the way Brandon shows in the setup videos, and it works great that way.

I've since switched to using a ridgeline, mainly because I also usually deploy the 'pole-mod', and I like having something besides the tarp for the pole to rest on. I've read a lot of threads, and have come across zero problems laying the poles directly on the tarp - but I still like having that piece of zing-it there.

My SF is attached to the ridgeline using a couple prusik loops, with some mini-S biners connecting the tarp to the prusiks.

on one side of the ridgeline I use a wasp which works great for adjusting the line, and on the other its one of those little tiny hooks he has.

I've set up in some pretty varied configurations - from a home-built pipe hammock stand thats 12ft apart, to a couple trees over 20ft apart - and this config has been adaptable to all of them. I just hang the ridge line, and use the prusik's to slide the tarp left / right until I get it centered over the hammock. This is probably the best single feature of using the full ridgeline - it lets me adjust the position of the tarp by sliding a couple knots.

before I started using the ridgeline setup, I would have to loosen one side, and go tighten the other side. Because I'm never real great at eyeball-calculation, I would end up doing this a couple times until I got it positioned where I wanted it. With the ridgeline, it's just sliding along on that and takes me a lot less time.

good luck!

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidgdwyer1964 View Post
    I just got my SF and have a couple of set up questions:

1. I have seen different set up configurations with the ridge line. Is the tarp suppose to be set up above or below the ridge line?

I would recommend having the tarp under.

2. I ordered the Dutch 30' ridge line with tator targp connectors. The SF end loops are smaller than a dime and too big for the tator connectors. Do I need to order bigger loops? Any thoughts?

No, the tato connectors push "flat" so they are perpendicular to the bungee and slide through the split ring in the superfly

3. I ordered Dutch 2 tarp door hooks for the doors but neglected to order tarp door lines. Should I order 4 lines for each tarp door flap? or just 2 lines? and what material and size of lines should I order?

I would order a hank (25') of 3/32 shock cord. Cut each piece about 2/3 the length of a door.
    Answers above, video below. I hope this helps.

- Rob

http://youtu.be/hMoPfv7t0dc

http://youtu.be/kZEeWGJk1f8
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I set it up like Brandon shows in the video on his website. No hardware needed and about as simple as you can get.
    Bill

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast