Underquilt or Top Quilt Higher Rating?

Hi, I've recently gotten into hammock camping and have decided to get an underquilt and a top quilt. I live by the rockies and backpack around Utah and Idaho mostly. Often when I backpack I will go to bed in 50-60 degree weather and wake up with my water bottle frozen shut. I was thinking that I should get an underquilt with a 20 degree rating and a top quilt with a 40 degree rating for weight and space savings. Then I thought that it might be better to get a 40 degree underquilt and 20 degree top quilt. What do you guys think would be better? I've heard that underquilts often go far below their rated temperature rating.

Thanks!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Personally I think that for the areas that your probably hiking around here you want to have both rated to at least freezing. Many folks will tell you that the UQ will make more of an impact on your comfort than the TQ. But I have been cold with 20° rated quilts in early September. For me if I only had a 40° rated TQ even with my 20° rated UQ I would have froze. Saving a few ounces and a few square inches is not worth being chilled to me.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'll agree with pgibson on this. I've got three sets of quilts, a 0*, 20* and a 40* set. I carry the proper quilts for the expected lows, with a 10 degree cushion.

The reason I use a 10 degree cushion is because I'm often hiking into the backcountry, far from any weather station. Sure, I check what they think the low will be, but I've seen differences up to 15 degrees from what the weather service says I should expect. I remember one trip where the weather station 10 miles away said the low would be 18 degrees. When I arrived at camp at 6 pm, it was 13 degrees, and the overnight low was 0 degrees. Thank goodness I brought my 0* quilts, rather than bringing the 20* set for "weight and space savings."

I love cold weather hammock camping, but I don't like being cold in cold weather. I went on one group hang and there was a noob who darn near froze to death. I woke up to water the trees around 5 am and he was shiveriing by the fire. I asked him how he slept. He told me that he didn't. He had brought just his 0* UQ, no topquilt and just a Carrhart jacket for top insulation. The low was 18 degrees that night. I asked him why he brought no top insulation and he said "weight and space savings." He thought he could wrap the UQ around him - no need for a TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    HG Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ is 16 oz.
    HG Burrow 20* TQ is 17.3 oz.

total 33.3 oz.

Substitute an HG Burrow 40* TQ (11.6 oz.) and save 5.7 ounces? That sounds like stupid light to me.

I see this is your first post. Welcome from the Jersey Shore!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'll agree with pgibson on this. I've got three sets of quilts, a 0*, 20* and a 40* set. I carry the proper quilts for the expected lows, with a 10 degree cushion.

The reason I use a 10 degree cushion is because I'm often hiking into the backcountry, far from any weather station. Sure, I check what they think the low will be, but I've seen differences up to 15 degrees from what the weather service says I should expect. I remember one trip where the weather station 10 miles away said the low would be 18 degrees. When I arrived at camp at 6 pm, it was 13 degrees, and the overnight low was 0 degrees. Thank goodness I brought my 0* quilts, rather than bringing the 20* set for "weight and space savings."

I love cold weather hammock camping, but I don't like being cold in cold weather. I went on one group hang and there was a noob who darn near froze to death. I woke up to water the trees around 5 am and he was shiveriing by the fire. I asked him how he slept. He told me that he didn't. He had brought just his 0* UQ, no topquilt and just a Carrhart jacket for top insulation. The low was 18 degrees that night. I asked him why he brought no top insulation and he said "weight and space savings." He thought he could wrap the UQ around him - no need for a TQ.
    Thanks! I forgot to say that I have been using a cheap synthetic 30 degree bag (in a tent) when I find my bottle has frozen and I've been fine through the night. I'm going to get the 20 deegres for both the top and under quilts. I'll be getting a new pack soon with room that is better managed than my current pack for longer trips. I'm glad that the newbie in your group was okay! Thanks everybody!

• + New Posts