Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I got a elkommando kilt from mountain hardware. If you want to try one on, wait till winter and go to 6pm.com, that is the clearance site for Zappos.com. I am not in love with mine after a few hikes but it is most definitely cooler on the nether regions.
    I do find the reactions I get funny. My running shorts are far more revealing and those get almost no looks.

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hang your own hang...wear what you want. I haven't tried a kilt yet but I want to. And I put absolutely no faith in anyones opinion that has not hiked with one. You can't comment if you don't have the experience so you can't say one way or the other. I will eventually try it and then I will have a opinion.
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    DaddyDaddy - your photo with the kilt looks great. I can see the comfort potential in some settings; i.e. a trail or campsite environment rather that bushwhacking (one of the words my lady friend used when explaining why she preferred pants.). So what model are they? Where did you get them?

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    I have a question, why does it have to be a kilt? A kilt is a very specific piece of Celtic national costume and is worn by either/both sexes. What you are talking about is the benefits of hiking in a generic skirt, so why not simply call it a skirt? What is special about a kilt particularly that makes it preferable to a skirt for hiking?
    It does not have to be. In fact the El Kommando "kilt" is more skirt than kilt in my view. The longer length, pleats, traditional design wrt apron and overlap are intentional, so the garment generally being discussed is kilt, that and for the most part, though not exclusively, it is men discussing the use of a kilt.

There are lightweight running skirts available for men, but again, we are not talking about running.

Saying a skirt and a kilt are functional equivalents and therefor we are discussing hiking in a skirt is a false circular argument/discussion that will go nowhere. Heck, why not discuss the pros and cons of wesring a loin cloth? In response I'd say, because I didn't buy and don't wear a loin cloth. Not that I couldn't see the merit in it. But we're talking about kilts, some utilikilts, and yes the obvious similarities in function, but I personally chose to wear a kilt, if you or anyone else wants to wear a skirt on the trail, good on ya, have at it.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    diy 1.6oz HyperD ripstop
    Tarp
    1.9oz ATACS
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I personally like the idea of a kilt, although I probably won't ever wear one mainly cause I can't keep my legs crossed while sitting in a camp chair. They look cool to me though

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by babybigfoot13 View Post
    I personally like the idea of a kilt, although I probably won't ever wear one mainly cause I can't keep my legs crossed while sitting in a camp chair. They look cool to me though
    There is usually plenty of fabric to tuck down between your knees. Wearing a sporran can help as well by weighting the apron so it tucks naturally.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    First I got a sewing machine and started sewing stuff, now you guys have me wanting to run around the woods in a skirt. This forum is having a very weird effect on my life lol.
    "Everything works if you let it." - Corpus C. Redfish

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by muckypops View Post
    First I got a sewing machine and started sewing stuff, now you guys have me wanting to run around the woods in a skirt. This forum is having a very weird effect on my life lol.
    555 Too funny!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    DaddyDaddy - your photo with the kilt looks great. I can see the comfort potential in some settings; i.e. a trail or campsite environment rather that bushwhacking (one of the words my lady friend used when explaining why she preferred pants.). So what model are they? Where did you get them?
    I had two. One was DNKE (Darn Near Kilt Em) that's the one in the photo. The other was a 5.11 Tactical kilt. I sold both as I lost about 30 lbs. but I have two new ones on order as we speak.

I love the 5.11 tactical kilt. I have one and two more on order as I type this.

For me Kilts are comfortable and on the trail I dry out a lot quicker when wearing one. I have an overabundance of sweat when the temperature and humidity starts increasing. I've hiked in shorts and it helps to an extent with overheating, hiking in a kilt is even better. I also have ancestors from Scotland and feel a certain nostalgia when donning my kilts. The only gripe I have is both of the clan tartan's I have ancestry origins with, are not readily available from the current kilt vendors I've found in the market place. Most of them stick with the more popular tartans and I would have to special order them. I've toyed with the idea of making my own traditional style kilt but I would still have to special order the materials.

That being said I don't feel you need to have any reason to wear a kilt other than the fondness too. You really have to try it out to see if wearing a kilt is right for you. To me it was a personal preference, as is should be for anyone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast