Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies

Why a Kilt?

I saw some people mentioning wearing kilts for hiking in another thread. Since I didn't want to derail their thread I figured I'd start another...

Why do people wear kilts when hiking? I don't get it. Could someone please enlighten me?
    "Everything works if you let it." - Corpus C. Redfish

Probably rain kilts - an alternative to waterproof overtrousers. Basically it's lighter and breathes better. The breathe-ability of waterproof trousers, even goretex, is overwhelmed fairly quickly when you are working hard. You dont get rained on, but you end up getting soaked from your own sweat. A kilt keeps the rain off the important parts (from your knees up) and offers unparalleled breathe-ability so you dont end up in a puddle of your own making. Rain kilts also pack much smaller than rain trousers, and are also much lighter - some even made of CF.

Images
    he is probably NOT talking about rain kilts. a few hikers have started wearing kilts. i don't get it either. maybe just a way of being different and to stand out. the rain gear is usually referred to as a rain skirt.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    he is probably NOT talking about rain kilts. a few hikers have started wearing kilts. i don't get it either.
    Really? How strange. Wearing kilts for hiking isn't even popular in Scotland.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Once you start wearing kilts for streetwear you easily get wearing a kilt for hiking. But wear what you want. I don't even own dress pants any more. This past winter was sweatpants, but I am counting the days when I can rock the kilt in Walmart again.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Once you start wearing kilts for streetwear you easily get wearing a kilt for hiking. But wear what you want. I don't even own dress pants any more. This past winter was sweatpants, but I am counting the days when I can rock the kilt in Walmart again.
    I agree, wear what you want, but it's really about the 'pose' isn't it? You rarely see a Scott or an Irishman wearing a kilt outside of a wedding or a funeral. If you go to Glasgow, you are very unlikely to see a Scott wearing a kilt in ASDA. Is there any other national dress that appeals? Do you think you could rock a turban?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    There seem to be pros and cons but I would not like the attention a kilt would get.
    I don't use bumper stickers, caps or T-shirts with slogans, or anything else that would draw extra attention.
    Last edited by Passinthru; 04-27-2015 at 16:54.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A kilt is comfortable, and allows for increased airflow to your bits and pieces. on a hot summer day, the increased airflow on a long day of hiking is great.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Well classic kilts were made for more formal events. Now they have tactical and utility kilts with pockets much like cargo shorts. Not all people wear kilts the "authentic way" as in commando. Though the few Scots that I know never wear theirs commando. With the right type of underwear like the Exofficio Give and Goes you can have perfect air flow for those hot and muggy days. Just my thoughts on it. I own no kilts, but have friends that do and have looked at getting a pair or two for myself to check out. Also bear in mind the difference between hiking a well established trail and blazing a trail through brush.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    As the ex-wife of a Glaswegian who wore his kilt at special events, I was quite intrigued to see men in hiking kilts. It is cooler and there is less physical restraint while moving or climbing in a kilt/skirt, but thigh chafing could be a problem - long, form-fitting underwear solve that problem but add to the heat.

I've lived in the Middle East (Kuwait) so seeing men in non-trouser clothes (dishdashas (they wear loose, long cotton underwear) or longhis) is no big deal. In fact, I like ethnic dress. I salute men who are confident in their own skin to enjoy the freedom and tolerate the ribbing. Having nice legs helps. lol

The younger one (plaid kilt) is now-Texas resident lilricky, while the older one barks occasionally. He can identify himself, if he wishes. Of course, if you've seen his socks it's a dead giveaway.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast