Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why a Kilt?

Hammock
    DIY - Gathered end, double layered
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I have wanted a kilt for a long time... Starting out, the only one's that I liked were from Utilikilt, but holy crap they are proud of their product! There was no way I was laying down $275 for a kilt.

But, thanks to this thread, and DaddyDaddy, I have found a much more sanely priced product! Soon I will be hanging in the breeze, in more ways than one!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scoffman View Post
    The only gripe I have is both of the clan tartan's I have ancestry origins with, are not readily available from the current kilt vendors I've found in the market place. Most of them stick with the more popular tartans and I would have to special order them. I've toyed with the idea of making my own traditional style kilt but I would still have to special order the materials.
    USAKilts can get any tartan that is not restricted. The downside is some of them are available only in wool. They are available in 5 and 8 yard kilts but carry a hefty price tag. They are excellent quality. On the synthetic side they have a very generous offering of tartans with a good number of the less familiar ones. They are available in a Casual kilt or a semi traditional kilt for a much more affordable price. The other option is to find what your tarten is a sept of and go up one knotch in the clan tree. For example my Mitchell is a sept of the Innes. Innes is only available in wool, but I want the Mitchell anyway. I completely recommend USAKilts for fine workmanship and products but they ain't dirt cheap.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Why a Kilt? Because I like it. The comfort, the freedom, and the fact that I'm 64 yo and really don't care what others think about my attire. Especially when I'm out in the woods. My wife gives me a hard time about my color coordination. Again I don't care.IMG_2512_zpseaclqe2x.jpgIMG_2529_zps7xs1qg0w (1).jpgPicsArt_1427078559263.jpgPicsArt_1427078766175.jpg
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am a bit fascinated with the surge of men wearing kilts. Here in PDX we seem to have a whole group of men in kilts with a bit of a military flare.

My daughter's companion is a substantial guy a bit over 6 ft. 4 ins. someplace in the 300+ category. He wanted a kilt because his employer told him he could not wear shorts to work. Well being as he was born and raised in Oregon, two things happened, first he needed to be able to not wear long pants, second he needed a creative way to do exactly as he pleased. Sean hit on wearing a kilt. He made the trip to Seattle, bought 4 kilts from Utilikilt, some a bit short and one a bit long. Poor guy had to learn how to manage a kilt, little things like sticking to the car seats, how to move without getting arrested for indecent exposure. Well three years later he is still wearing his kilt from time to time. The quality and fabric was great, however so was the price tag. Sean works in a hospital, his employer gave up the argument about the kilt, they also dropped the subject of wearing modest shorts.

Here in Oregon many of us grew up wearing shorts and sandals most if not all year long. I still wear modest shorts most of the time, I just wear a warmer coat if the temperature drops, keep the core warm and the rest for the most part takes care of itself.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Because Bend has slightly colder temperatures, we add socks to our sandals (or at least I do). Once, my partner heard someone mention my socks with sandals in disdain. So when they joined us for Art Walk. I had my socks/sandals and my partner had a nice cocktail dress with matching socks (she's a girl after all) to go with her sandals. Sometimes you have to make that statement.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345