Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

KY> Sheltowee Trace - Yamacraw to Cumberland Falls, April 29-May 3, 2015

Headed out Wednesday to leisurely hike and hang the 32 miles on the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky from Yamacraw Bridge (where I left off last time) to Cumberland Falls SP to spend the weekend with 39 of my closest hike friends to see the famous "Moonbow."

Okay, only 8 folks will do the hike with me. The rest are driving up from Nashville and other environs for the weekend only at the Park.

I'll be hanging on the trail, but staying in the State Park Lodge for the weekend.

Any hints, warnings, suggestions, etc. about this section of the Sheltowee are welcome and appreciated.

Happy to have most anyone join us for the hike (all or any portion) or the weekend Moonbow watch. Details are on the "Nashville Backpacker" pages on www.MeetUp.com. Or give a quick shout here.

Will post a photo album after the hike.

Rain Man
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    how'd it go? did the weather cooperate for the moonbow?

Sorry I can't offer any tips or hints for that section of the Sheltowee Trace. I haven't made it down that far south yet. I keep hiking from livingston down to cumberland falls. I was going to offer up the map solutions found at Sheltoweetrace.com/maps but I see from the meetup webpage that you already know about it. It should be a fun trip I hope you have time to share your experiences when you get back.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Hasn't happened yet. Leave this Wednesday.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    oops! have fun

Quote Originally Posted by scoffman View Post
    Sorry I can't offer any tips or hints for that section of the Sheltowee Trace. I haven't made it down that far south yet. I keep hiking from livingston down to cumberland falls. I was going to offer up the map solutions found at Sheltoweetrace.com/maps but I see from the meetup webpage that you already know about it. It should be a fun trip I hope you have time to share your experiences when you get back.
    I'm curious how that section is. I grew up in Livingston and was looking at maybe hiking London to Cumberland this weekend, but I might do Livingston to Cumberland on another trip if you recommend?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Trip Report via Photo Albums & Captions

The weather was awesome for the most part. One night was predicted to be bad, maybe even dangerous, so we bailed for overnight but went right back. My wife saw the full moonbow, with color. I was walking to another viewing platform. I only saw a portion of the moonbow. One of our hikers got it with her camera on a tripod and will be posting soon.

Photo Album.

The captions are my trip report. The photos I posted say so at the bottom of each of them.

Enjoy!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    enjoyed the photos, Rain Man. Thanks for sharing.

did you guys adopt a puppy on this hike?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboIcarus View Post
    I'm curious how that section is. I grew up in Livingston and was looking at maybe hiking London to Cumberland this weekend, but I might do Livingston to Cumberland on another trip if you recommend?
    It's not that bad at all I would definitely recommend this section. If you start out going south from the Livingston area, exit 49 on I-75 which was once a heavily used off road area, the trail has some interesting obstacles and well worn mud holes/vehicle trails. They have since closed trail access to any type of off road traffic for the first five miles. The trail does open up to dirt bikes, horses, and orv's (4 wheeler's), after a while. there are several road crosses, and some road marches. On one road march you will pass a church with a cemetery. they have an outhouse facility if any one feels the need to squat on an actual toilet seat, instead of over a cat hole. The next available public "squatting facility" will be at the Laurel River Dam area some 15 or so miles later. There are plenty of places for refilling your water bottles/canteens. I usually take an hour for lunch and filter water at the same time. I've never been a high mile hiker so I like to take my time and enjoy the sites.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    did you guys adopt a puppy on this hike?
    Indeed we did. A little fellow latched onto us and followed us about half a mile during a road walk, from a bridge where we learned locals often dump dogs.

He was happy to ride atop my backpack for the last mile and a half road walk to camp that night on the Cumberland River. Slept quietly under my hammock all night and stayed on my heels for 4.5 miles the next morning to the end.

Monday he went straight to our vet. He's 8-12 weeks old. Very personable and smart. Mix of German Shepherd and Rottweiler.

He's been making friends with our two old dogs and two old cats since Sunday night. LOL Went on a 2.5 mile leisurely practice hike with me today at a local park.

Named him "Boone" after the Daniel Boone National Forest, where he found us. Also, "Sheltowee" means Big Turtle and is the name the Native Americans gave Daniel Boone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast