Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I am very concerned about falling, I did something similar to Zilla, however, I used some heat hardened bamboo out of my yard. Light, natural, cheap and sturdy and no chemicals were used to grow it.

Oops, I just re-read Zilla's post. I put the bamboo support inside the spreader bars. Same principal I think, added strength with a small weight penalty.

I recently finished a DIY Bridge, I just used bamboo for the spreader bars, so far so good.
    Last edited by ironfish77; 04-28-2015 at 03:04.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrknot View Post
    Just curious,
    How does your GT UL work for you?
    It's only rated up to 200 lbs...
    I bought a couple of them for my daughters and I've been afraid to even look at them for fear of instant explosion :-)
    You and I are about the same size, more or less...
    In truth, I've never slept in it overnight. And I never hang it high. But I've been in it many more times than my camping hammock. Never a problem. It is my number one summertime, outdoor, party favor! I bring it to a bbq and people always react like I brought a pony for the kids to ride! And this link: http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-GT.../dp/B001AIBJSI says it's rated to 250 pounds.
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    I am very concerned about falling, I did something similar to Zilla, however, I used some heat hardened bamboo out of my yard. Light, natural, cheap and sturdy and no chemicals were used to grow it.
    Now THAT is neat!
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    I still don't have an UQ. Been using a closed cell foam ThermaRest pad (much better than WallyWorld blue pads in warmth, nonslip and weight) with and without Reflectix or a car Windshield reflector between it and hammock. I find that space between the Reflectix/Windshield reflector/Space Blanket and me equals warmer and dryer. I have sleeping bags in three different temperature ratings so I grab the appropriate one for that trip or just a couple blankets in summer. Did buy a down sleeping bag and a couple woobies that I plan on turning into DIY UQs soon.

For suspending the Skeeter Beeter's bug net there are a couple tricks I figured out. First, loop the shockcord through the tabs (the four black loops stitched to the bug netting) once. In other words, put the end of the shockcord through the tab like threading a needle then come back over and through again. Do that with each tab. This holds the tension and I can then adjust the width of the bug net however I want and it will stay. Having a pooch in the 'mock I want as much room as possible!

I have a SRL (structural ridgeline) outside the bug net and run the shockcord over it. I run the SRL that way because in winter I can flip the 'mock and hang without the bug net being in the way. The SB-P was my first "real" hammock and I set it up for four season camping. If you don't want to have a hammock ridgeline, use the tarp's or just run a line between the two trees you're hanging from and use that. You can get away with bug netting without a ridgeline but it's easier having one.

In fair weather with no tarp or the tarp up high, tie the ends above the height of the hammock and so there is some tension on the shockcord. Then when you get in, the hammock goes down plus tension is increased and the bug net stays nice and high.

In porch mode run the shockcord on the porch ("open" or horizontal) side same as in the fair weather method above. Then on the "closed" (vertical) side of the tarp run the shockcord along then out from under the tarp and otherwise tying the shockcord as in the fair weather mode. Or up to the ridgeline, depending upon the trees you have to work with.

In really windy and rainy weather with the tarp sides down, you can run the shockcord out and up to the trees you're hanging from or just tie the shockcord to the ridgeline. You won't have as much width but it still works ok.

Just a matter of fiddling with it a bit and you'll soon find a way to HYOH!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

I am 6'0 260lbs. For lightweight backpacking I use dutch 11' PolyD & bugnet. I sprung for a hammock gear under quilt and top quilt. I have both a HG standard cuban and toxaway tarp. Even with the heavier toxaway, ground cloth, quilts, SRL, stakes, guy lines and everything my whole sleep setup is right at 5lbs. I find this more than comfortable. I would consider a dream hammock if I purchased again, but very happy with the dutch hammock.

I also have the dutch argon, but don't take it in the woods as it is a little too stretchy (but very comfy). I also have a warbonnet xlc 1.7 dl. This is a very nice hammock. Great for the back yard or car camping. But that alone is 2.5lbs and very bulky. The dutch setup is less than half in both size and weight including the winter sock or bugnet. Good compromise of comfort for weight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Interesting, sampson. I am determined to lighten up. My Chrysalis didn't need a tarp, but even with lightened suspension, I was bang-on 5 lbs for it alone. I have assumed that the end game for me here is the WBBB xlc 1.7 dl--just like you have. But if I could save the money AND the weight AND the bulk... I mean, I've heard the Dutch 11' is a little tight in the shoulders, but there must be a dozen inexpensive alternatives.

As for the bulk, that's driven me crazy for years. I have a 5 lb Aether 70 pack--why does my sleeping bag, hammock, and pad fill so much of it up?! But I realize the gram weenies are right--big packs make it easier to justify more gear. Or, in my case, heavier, bulkier gear. And whenever I would think about replacing my 5 lb backpack, I would remind myself that I would STILL need a 70L pack to carry all of my bulky gear, so why not just keep using my good one?

A vicious circle, reinforced by financial considerations.

But I've now decided to reduce my pack size to about 45 liters and MAKE it work. Probabaly either a REI Flash 45 or Osprey Hornet. Both weigh in the 2 lb. range. I'll dump my 2 lb pad for an underquilt--Jarbridge, probably--and pick up a decent-sized inexpensive tarp. Make a fronkey bugnet.

Really appreciate your comment. Gave me a lot to think about.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks, Dux. I'm going to dig out my SBP knockoff from Parrot Bay this weekend and see what I've got! I think your way solves my problem.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    One of our forum members makes large size bridge hammocks on a as needed basis. He will work with you and make what you need, you pay the materials cost only. If you like what he sends you I think you then pay him what you feel it was worth. For the life of me the name escapes me right now.
    That would be opie. I've been sleeping every night in one of his Mackinac Bridge Hammocks since last July. Excellent hammock and he specializes in making them for larger folks but also offers them for us lighter people as well (6', 160 lbs.).

Just to give you a visual, the one one the left is my Dutch Polyd setup with the winter sock stuffed in there. The one in the right is the wbbb xlc 1.7 dl And sure dream hammock or others can make something wider but similar in size to Dutch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430392677.054154.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    BIG difference, sampson! Funny story: about 5 years ago, when I decided to really start backpacking, I went to an REI store. While there, I joked with the clerk about backpacking advertisements. I said, "So funny that in those ads in Outside magazine, they never show the person carrying a sleeping bag on their pack, huh?! I mean, what do they sleep in at night, amirite?!"

She seemed confused. Then she said, "But the sleeping bags are IN the packs..."

And she took me over to the sleeping bags section. And as I stood there thinking about my 45 degree, 5 lb, Coleman sleeping bag that packed down to the size of a large beach ball, I was like, "Wow. I've got a lot to learn..."
    - Jack Handey

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast