Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Sleeping bag and CCF pad with snaps

Hi everybody!
    I'm new here, and have an idea that needs approval from the HF Gods.
    Here in a couple of weeks, my son and I have our first hang out, after years of sleeping on the ground.
    I've been reading about CCF pads, and since we are on a tight budget, that's what well do for insulation.
    My plans are to use snaps, which are cheap, and attach them to the sleeping bag, and the pad, so it doesn't roll out from underneath me. When its time to go, just simply unsnap, and roll separately.
    http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Capped...VVviewprod.htm
    Another way, is to use buttons, and sow them to the sleeping bag with strong string (leather string), and a long lead. Then make slots on the pad to feed them through, and turn them on the back locking them in. This way, the pad is always secured to the sleeping bag, with minimal weight. If side panels, or wings are desired, they can be cut to size, and snap or button as well.
    I'm thinking this will eliminate having to sleep with the pad in the bag, which could create undesired sweat.
    So, what do you think?
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    You're creating an approximation of a Big Agnes bag.

I did something similar about 25 years ago, only I sewed a sleeve to the bottom of an REI mummy, and then inserted my pad. It worked really well.

I honestly don't understand why all sleeping bags don't come with a pad pocket...it's a no-brainer.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Blackbird Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Images
    I would say it's not necessary. once your weight is on top of a pad in a hammock everything pretty much stays in place from my experience. i've never had a pad shift underneath me but have wanted to adjust its placement and was forced to get out of the hammock to adjust, then get back in cause itjust wont move with your weight on it.

Hammock
    Switchback & WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Hey Trugracie,
    Welcome to the forum.
    My wife and I use bags made by Big Agnes that would be a commercial version of what you are proposing.
    Bag Agnes bags do not have a bottom per say and instead have an integrated sleeve for a pad to be inserted into.
    Here is their site:
    http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/SleepingBags

We use 3/8" high grade CCF pad cut to fit inside this integrated sleeve .
    For extra credit we sewed side sleeves that holds an additional pad down each side so that the shoulders and hips are isolated.
    If we need to go to ground we simply fold these side sections underneath us for additional padding. I made my sides 10" wide X 36" long. ( actually 2, 10"X 18") .
    The pad itself is 20" wide so counting the extentions we now have 40" wide down to past the hips and 20" wide down the remaining length to past our feet.

This is a low cost alternative to the much more costly approach of using under quilts. The downside to this for some is that it can trap your insensible perspiration and feel damp or clammy . Some object to their comfort but this is subjective. I like how they help hold the Hammock open and flat.

The best way to minimize condensatation is to avoid overheating and to use a moisture wicking layer between you and your pad. The bottom of your sleeping bag could work towards this goal.
    I use my clothing system to help with moving this moisture away from me.
    I have had a moist feeling shirt back ( Smartwool T shirt) but it never feels cold just somewhat dampish. If I roll to one side it seems to go away in an hour or so.
    Invest in a good grade of CCF and make it plenty wide up top.
    Have fun and share your discoveries..

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Thank you guys!
    The Big Agnes Bag does seem to do exactly what I want, with the difference that it doesn't have that separating layer, which would be the bottom of my sleeping bag. My main goal is to not get hot/sweaty or cold. I'm gonna give it a go, and just use buttons. That way I don't permanently alter my gear.
    Thank you oldgringo, I was hoping to hear somebody say that it works. I'm glad I wasn't getting too creative, for nothing.
    Now, to save my money alltogether, the cheap Walmart pads don't move once you're in them then?
    If that is the case, there's no point of doing all of this.
    By the way, my bag has a fleece inner liner.
    Last edited by Trugracie; 09-24-2009 at 20:11.
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images

CCF Pads

Yes, the pads can shift all over the place. More so if you don't have enough slack in your hammock to get on a good flat diagonal lay. I've played inch worm on top of a pad enough times in the sleeping bag trying to get realigned with the pad. Attaching the pad to the sleeping bag would help. Wider pad (attachments) to sides to avoid cold shouders would be a huge help. Newzy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Ed Speer sells CCF pads that have a tacky outside, so they slide around a lot less.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I honestly don't understand why all sleeping bags don't come with a pad pocket...it's a no-brainer.
    +1 The bag maufacturers should at leaast offer SOME of their models with pockets.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Actually, the Big Agnes bag does have a barrier between you and the pad - the bottom is an uninsulated sleeve. The same effect can be achieved by making a sleeve for the pad and using the bag unzipped as a quilt - you would then be spared all the wrassling and wriggling to get in the bag and then get in the hammock.

I had a blue ccf and a Hennessy when I started - didn't have a real problem with pad shift, as I utilized the silicon dot/line on the pad approach to minimize slippage. Now I have a Blackbird with a pad pocket and a NeoAir and evazote pad - still no slippage.

You don't mention what kind of hammock you have, but if hung with enough sag you won't have a problem with ccf.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Thanks for all the info guys!
    As of right now, I don't have a hammock yet, that's the reason I am wanting to attach the pad to the sleeping bag.
    I am seriously thinking about getting the Hammock Bliss Noseeum though.
    It seems to be very sturdy and comfortable for the price.
    I had considered the Skeeter Beeter, but I pretty much have my heart set on the Bliss.
    My first outing is on the Oct 9th, so I need to order asap.
    I really would like to get the Black Bird, but money is very tight right now, I did however get a Parrot Bay for my 70lb boy. I think that will work out well for him.

BTW - Our sleeping bags are rated for 30 degrees, and are lined with flannel. Very warm!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast