WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing

Help me decide on a new tarp, WB or OES

I don't camp in snow, and it really doesn't get all that cold down here. I am also not hugely concerned with weight. This brought be to something like the WB mamajamba or OES Ultra. Do these provide good coverage? I don't think I am ready for something as small as the edge or tadpole. Maybe my next tarp though.

I am also considering something with doors. I'd rather have them to block wind and rain when I want to, or tie them back when I don't need them. I am torn between the WB superfly or OES 4 season. Any recommendations between these two? The OES looks to be longer rl length. They look to be about the same weight. I wasn't sure if one was heavier duty or better tieouts, etc. I also like I can get the OES seam sealed for a little extra. Thanks for any advice.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    I don't camp in snow, and it really doesn't get all that cold down here. I am also not hugely concerned with weight. This brought be to something like the WB mamajamba or OES Ultra. Do these provide good coverage? I don't think I am ready for something as small as the edge or tadpole. Maybe my next tarp though.

I am also considering something with doors. I'd rather have them to block wind and rain when I want to, or tie them back when I don't need them. I am torn between the WB superfly or OES 4 season. Any recommendations between these two? The OES looks to be longer rl length. They look to be about the same weight. I wasn't sure if one was heavier duty or better tieouts, etc. I also like I can get the OES seam sealed for a little extra. Thanks for any advice.
    In the past OES had a history of customer service issues, making WB the clear choice. However from all reports that seems to have been ironed out, so by all means consider them as an option, though proceed with eyes wide open.

That being said, if by your own admission you are not concerned with weight, then there's really little reason to consider the Mamajamba, for example, when for $20 more you could get the Superfly, arguably one of the top choices for 4-season tarps here on HF. You'll see more people with one of those here on the forums than just about anything else, and for good reason. It's a great tarp, will serve you in just about any weather, and the way his ridgeline is made it does not require seam sealing. Not the only or best tarp out there, but certainly well loved and respected (I've got one, it's served me well, not a single complaint, for what it's worth).

The OES MacCats are also pretty awesome tarps - I don't own one, but I've had the opportunity to check out a few at group hangs, and they're quality made, with top notch materials, and once you put any past gripes about the business aside, I've never seen anyone complain about how a MacCat performs. They don't have doors, but you can buy/make options to take care of that down the road, should you need to. They aren't as wide as the Mamajamba (104" versus the MJ at 120"), but you can get a longer ridgeline if you feel you need that (12' for the Ultra, as opposed to the 11' MJ or the 11' Mac Deluxe). They also have slightly more aggressive cat cuts and lines than the MJ - so technically when comparing the MJ to the Deluxe you might get a touch better coverage with the MJ, for an extra 1.1 oz.

Brian from OES recently made an announcement that his newest generation of MacCats will be debuted soon, with some new fabric and innovations - so if you're not in a rush it might be prudent to wait and see what he's got up his sleeve before making your final decision.

Not sure about the OES 4-Season, sorry.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks for the info. I also just came across the UGQ Winter Dream. Looks like the superfly, but much more customizable and slightly heavier. And more expensive. If the superfly is built well enough I will probably just order that. I had a tie out break off my BCUSA tarp last night in a storm, that's why I am concerned with my new tarp being built well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Can't go wrong with the Superfly. I had the OES 4 season and the ends don't close up as well as the Superfly doors because it is rectangular with cat cuts. The Superfly is cut with extra material extending to create the doors which can overlap and fully close.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Thanks for the info. I also just came across the UGQ Winter Dream. Looks like the superfly, but much more customizable and slightly heavier. And more expensive. If the superfly is built well enough I will probably just order that. I had a tie out break off my BCUSA tarp last night in a storm, that's why I am concerned with my new tarp being built well.
    I believe the UGQ Winter Dream was based on a design of Scott Littlefield from DIYGearSupply (fromerly Backwoods DayDreamer, hence the Winter Dream name). Used to be one of the go to winter tarps (that and the old Speer Winter Tarp) until he stopped making tarps, and switched over to just selling materials for others to use. The pattern for it used to be up on his site, though I'm not sure if it still is. I know that UGQ just recently revamped their tarp lineup, so they may have moved away from using Scott's design - or it may have been only inspired by it in the first place.

I've heard nothing but good things about their (UGQ's) work, and like everything else they make, while it may be a touch more expensive, they allow a customized experience that you can't get from most of the more popular tarp makers.

You could also check out Wilderness Logics, their Old Man Winter is similar to the Superfly, and people have great things to say about their service and product. And if you want a tarp right away, you can look at the offerings from Jacks R Better - not the cheapest, but high quality, and they have inventory in stock as opposed to most others where you have to wait weeks or more.

In the end, you just have to weight the pros and cons of what's important to you, and the best way to get what you want at a price that you can afford. For any given application (lightweight minimalist tarp, full coverage winter tarp, etc.) there are usually a few options, with differing ship dates, etc. Do your research, and pick what fits your criteria.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    The SF ridgeline, as silentorpheus mentioned, doesn't need sealing. Just be aware the side panel pullouts do need to be sealed per Warbonnet. A few members have claimed they haven't done it and haven't gotten wet, but most of us eventually noticed leaking there if we didn't do it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Is there a different in durability between the SF and WD? I haven't read of any problems with the SF yet, just wondering if one is hands down heavier duty.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    The SF ridgeline, as silentorpheus mentioned, doesn't need sealing. Just be aware the side panel pullouts do need to be sealed per Warbonnet. A few members have claimed they haven't done it and haven't gotten wet, but most of us eventually noticed leaking there if we didn't do it.
    Yeah, forgot to mention that one. I never got around to sealing mine, and have definitely had them leak on me - keep forgetting to take care of it. Though I'd think this would be an issue with any of the tarps listed that have panel pulls.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Is there a different in durability between the SF and WD? I haven't read of any problems with the SF yet, just wondering if one is hands down heavier duty.
    There really shouldn't be, to be honest. Both vendors do a great job with finish and details, and use high quality materials. They're both made from similar weight silnylon, though technically the Superfly is 1.1 oz 30D, and the WD is 1.1 oz 20D. But the difference between the two should be negligible. The SF ridge line has grosgrain ribbon sewn into it, and the tie out rings are sewn directly into that - so it's designed to be hung as tight as you can get it. You're pulling on the 11' ridge line worth of ribbon not the silnylon seam, so there's no worry of ripping. Not sure about the WD.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I could see being down in Texas not wanting a huge tarp. Stick with the hex tarps. They will cover you without an issue. I've closed off one end of a MacCat deluxe before. it was tight, but it kept the wind off of me on a cold night. But the best part is the ease of pitching a taught tarp with only four stakes and less cordage to deal with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast