Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Indoor bed replacement

Been sleeping in my hammock, as an indoor bed replacement, for a few days now. This is my first hammock, ever, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Bought the YukonOutfitters double from Woot! and am rather pleased.

Impressions.

Very comfortable. Surprisingly so. It's a firm support, and yet compliant with no pressure points. It's actually an odd feeling, but one which I believe I could like.

Mounting details are surprisingly important. I have it screwed into the walls and the height and droop affect the feel way more than I would have expected.

Unfortunately my bed is in the way. In case my mounting failed and I fell, I strung it up across my bedroom, over my bed. Nice soft landing, that way. The only actual issue I seem to have is the height of my bed...I need to raise my hammock up a few inches. Apparently my calculations were slightly off.

Results

My sleep quality is beginning to improve a bit. Still not fully comfortable for the night, and I keep waking up. I'm sure this will lessen with time, but right now I'm quite sleepy.

But my physical pains are significantly reduced. My lower back pain, which was worsened by every bed I've ever had including memory foam, and which was at least helped minimally by a sleep number mattress, no longer bothers me. I wake up pain free.

Rather than relying on increasingly toxic high tech beds, I decided to try a hammock.

Who would have thought that a piece of fabric strung from wall to wall could work so well?

I'm amazed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Traditional beds just equal back pain and suffering for me as well.
    Hammocks are amazingly comfy and very easy on the back.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I would suggest adding a Ridgeline to help with the consistent feel of your hammock. This will give you a consistent droop. Start with 83% of your hammock length.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    See this thread, and on post 36 you'll find info on the best hammock I have found for indoor use.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ammock-nirvana

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I use an 11' hammock with a 110" RL (83%) indoors. It's got a double knotty mod on it.. I installed ENO hanging kits in 4 rooms of the house.

I don't spend every night in a hammock.. but as often as I can. The purple hammock in the image below is the one we use indoors most of the time. (the net comes off for indoor use)

IMGP3228.JPG

Good. I'm not completely crazy...at least not within the parameters of this community.

But, my question remains. How can I raise my hammock up a few inches so I can hang freely, preferably without drilling additional holes? Is a ridge line the answer to that, or do I just need to put more holes in my walls?

I suppose I could put a thinner mattress on my bed, lowering it's surface that way, but...not exactly the ideal solution. My goal is just to raise up a little more, but without tightening the hang. It's bordering on too tight already.image.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckgymrat View Post
    Good. I'm not completely crazy...at least not within the parameters of this community.

But, my question remains. How can I raise my hammock up a few inches so I can hang freely, preferably without drilling additional holes? Is a ridge line the answer to that, or do I just need to put more holes in my walls?

I suppose I could put a thinner mattress on my bed, lowering it's surface that way, but...not exactly the ideal solution. My goal is just to raise up a little more, but without tightening the hang. It's bordering on too tight already.image.jpg
    Looks like you have a good amount of sag. The ridgeline will just keep the sag consistant from hang to hang. Since this will be setup all the time I don't see a need. Try tightening the foot end only to raise it. If you still have close to 30° angle on suspension you should be good.

Been sleeping in my hammock since last March. Love it.

The sides are cocooning me...I played with the parameters on the stockade fence in the back yard, and more sag is definitely more comfortable. Not enormously so, but absolutely noticeable.

It needs tweaking.

But, having said that, it's already an enormous improvement over my flat mattress. Surprised the heck out of me!

Just let the air out of my sleep number bed. Very saggy. Maybe that will help...less height under me.

If not, I'll be drilling new holes for additional mounting points, tomorrow.
    image.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've got a hammock in my office and struggled with where to put the attachment points, etc. I basically just used the hammock hang calculator to tell me distance between anchor points and height. If you get it right you don't need a ridgeline or suspension (continuous loops will do). Luckily I got it right on the first try.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast