Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    As others I will recommend using reinforcement where they are attached. Depending of the type it may take some force to pull them apart and the surrounding material have to match that otherwise you will rip the fabric.
    • Some snaps will corrode if exposed to water.
    • It could be tempting grease/lubricate snaps but it is often not a good idea. You risk making grease spots on your gear and it makes the surface sticky and then it will collect dirt and what not (in the snaps).
    • Be careful if used near the ground. Sand and dirt can interfere with the function both ways.
    • In freezing weather they can be hard to pull apart if they are iced up.
    • Have in mind snaps are not easily replaced if they fail.
    • Back in my Army days we had snaps on some of our personal gear. It was heavy duty snaps but it was not always the best solution IMO and as far as I know other solutions has been implemented since then.

I am not against snaps but think before you use them.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Can't quote the size or weight as I'm at work, but they're the smallest available. If you're only going to DIY, I found the snap pliers at Hobby Lobby with 100 white snaps for about $25, but neither were Kam Snap products. I chucked the snaps in the "maybe I'll use these someday" box and bought the snaps direct from Kam Snaps as I knew how they would perform.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    As others I will recommend using reinforcement where they are attached. Depending of the type it may take some force to pull them apart and the surrounding material have to match that otherwise you will rip the fabric.
    • Some snaps will corrode if exposed to water.
    • It could be tempting grease/lubricate snaps but it is often not a good idea. You risk making grease spots on your gear and it makes the surface sticky and then it will collect dirt and what not (in the snaps).
    • Be careful if used near the ground. Sand and dirt can interfere with the function both ways.
    • In freezing weather they can be hard to pull apart if they are iced up.
    • Have in mind snaps are not easily replaced if they fail.
    • Back in my Army days we had snaps on some of our personal gear. It was heavy duty snaps but it was not always the best solution IMO and as far as I know other solutions has been implemented since then.

I am not against snaps but think before you use them.
    The Kam Snaps are plastic which alleviates the corrosion problems. I do insure that I'm going through at least three thicknesses of fabric, usually through a 1/2" wide rolled hem, and will use reinforcing at critical points.

Images
    I've had good luck with the snaps and tools from Snap Source. I use a mini anvil when setting snaps (bought at Seattle Fabrics- don't know if they still have 'em). Snaps are not needed very often for DIY projects but these do work well.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Snaps are not needed very often for DIY projects but these do work well.
    When do you use them?

Images
    I use them mostly for non-hammock camping projects. I did put one on my DIY top quilt to close the neck opening (and then I use a cinch cord and cordlock to adjust the opening). This snap has held up well for over 5 years.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    One also has to remember you need to reinforce the area the snap will go on (webbing, ribbon, extra material) so as not to rip out too easily... this puts it in a similar class of weight compared to small buckles, zippers or simple button holes/buttons or loops/toggles. For the most part, I use snaps mainly in pouches for MOLLE or closures, but tend to prefer buckles for closures, and for hammock equipment or gear, I don't use snaps or buckles... except for the backpacks that can carry them. Even my under pad suspension relies on 4 plastic toggles from an old tent fly to suspend it, its lightweight, and easy to take off when needed. I can see snaps being useful for only a few things myself, but where they can be useful, zippers can do a better job....

I am definately against snaps. Me, and anyone else who owned an 87-95 jeep wrangler. The one with square headlights. Heavy duty and tough, yes. Snaps kept the top on at highway speeds for four seasons. ...but a complete pain in the rear- especially when cold.
    I'd be alright if I never had to use a snap ever again.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    ....but where they can be useful, zippers can do a better job....
    I see one exeception where Kam Snaps can solve a zipper problem (which in fact - as far as I can see it - nobody has satisfiable solved yet, at least not for >= 11' hammocks). I will show a completely new designed hammock top cover solution with Kam Snaps within the next view days. I'm confident that many DIY hammocks will have Kam Snaps in the future - not as a zipper substitute, but as a supplement.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but it really seems to me like snaps could be useful as part of underquilt suspension.

Picture a grosgrain loop at each corner of the quilt (and maybe in the center of each long side, too), with a short shock cord dog bone attached. At the other end of the shock cord is another grosgrain loop with a snap on it. Attached to the hammock, in the appropriate places, would be an additional grosgrain loop with the other part of the snap on it. Sized and placed appropriately, it seems like it would hold the quilt tight against the hammock, allow for give as you move around, and save a heck of a lot of shock cord. It wouldn't be as easy to vent, but you could potentially solve that by making the grosgrain loop on the hammock longer and having multiple snap points on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12