Welcome from a Brookwood noob!

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym, Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    SuperShelter, Pad
    Images
    Thanks. Now i'm trying to figure out suspension and whether to buy the supershelter. Decisions. Decisions.
    Last edited by dowilliamson; 10-19-2009 at 09:26.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    SuperShelter, Pad
    Images

Hung in the hammock in the backyard

I slept overnight in the hammock Friday night. I tried a blue walmart pad instead of my egg crate pad and I wasn't comfortable. I slept better without the pad (I moved it but soon I had the cold behind syndrome so I put the pad back. It was about 75-80 degrees in my sleeping bag and it got down to 55 degrees in my hammock. It stayed 54 degrees outside. I ditched the standard Hennessy fly and used a walmart tarp because I didn't want to get wet in case it rained.

I hung the hammock on the kids play fort and swing as I don't have enough tree hugger length to span the trees in the back yard. (I needed tree huggers over six feet). My ridge was loose in the hammock. It may have been because of the way I hung it

I subsequently compared the size of the walmart pad and the egg crate pad and noticed that the egg crate pad is wider. I put a home made underquilt that i got from southmark on the bottom but I don't think I put it on properly.

I also used mason line for holding down the walmart tarp. Pictures to follow

I'm new to hammocks myself. I have used the blue wal-mart egg crate pad but it seems like it is not as easy to adjust once you are in your hammock as the military pad I have. The military pad can be slid around easier. I guess the egg crate kind of grips the hennessy fabrick more. And you will sometime during the night need to make an adjustment in my experience. It got down to 39degrees a week or two ago and I trid my new sleeping bag out. I got a cabelas boundary waters 0 degree down bag on closeout. Worked great didnt have to zip up all the way and it was real comfortable. Good luck with your set up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    SuperShelter, Pad
    Images

Trying something new

I bought a supershelter and a hex tarp from one of the hammock forum members recently. I am going to try that next to see if it make a difference. Thanks for telling me about your experience with the egg crate. I do remember trying to adjust it and it wasn't easy. I discovered the reason why I wasn't comfortable with the regular walmart blue ccf pad. It's not as wide as the egg crate. Width makes a diffference.

I've ordered a Warbonnet traveler so I'll try that with my pad when it comes. I will see how the supershelter and the hex tarp works out. I may have to do a hang in the yard to test it out. It's getting cold in these parts . Have a great weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123