DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images

Shout out to the March Umsted Hammock Hangers -- Jason is on the AT!

Full apologies for just now getting back to say thanks to all you overly kind hangers at Umstead last month who let Jason and moi (mom, me, hikerdelita) crash and learn a few things and eat a LOT of good food and last but not least meet and greet a few great NC hangers. We HUGELY enjoyed ourselves and still apologize for coming so late and shopping all day Saturday.

The good news is Jason did make it on the AT. In the last month, I have taken 3 trips (Gatlinburg, Tulsa and Georgia to see him off) plus with tremendous help from a friend, we managed to make his MEGA OGEE tarp (great reports), an underquilt and a top quilt. He also ended up buying a Warbonnet which he seems to be enjoying much. His plan is to upgrade sometime warmer to summer gear and get lighter stuff this time.

I promised someone a link to his Journal: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=488123

He does not yet have a trail name and can be found also under his name, Jason Needler.

Thanks again, all! We can't thank you enough. My plan is to get back to Crossfit and hiking, soon and get out on some trail, too!

hiker delita in NC

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    HH Dia. & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Just read Jason's journal out loud to my wife. The thanks in this thread is to you and Jason. That is one of the most enjoyable, inspiring, uplifting reads I have ever done. It is special to actually have met someone who is doing this. Growing up in North Georgia just miles from the AT and visiting many of the gaps and mountain tops a thru hike has always been a dream. Well that has been replaced with time so a very well written account will bring me warm feelings and a smile. And yes, a tear or two. Thank you for the link to his journal. I will enjoy the trip. It was so much fun to read from day 1 thru yesterday at one sitting I may wait a week between reads. It is the best "book" I have read in a long time. Hope the Umstead Hang was of useful value. Chigger

Hammock
    DangerBird
    Tarp
    SQUIDBILLY Black
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Hikerdelita thank you for posting Jason/Caveman's journal.
    Reading it has made my Tuesday evening even better.
    Hope to see you and Jason again soon.
    “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” -- Sir Isaac Newton

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    thanks Hikerdelita for keeping us informed.
    We are the crazy people.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my a_ _ lighter.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome/Exped Combi
    Tarp
    Gnome Dome/Hot Hut
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Thanks for hooking us up with his journal. We were talking about him at the Fatt Butt hang, wondering if he had started his hike yet. Good to know he's enjoying the trip.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
    Just read Jason's journal out loud to my wife. The thanks in this thread is to you and Jason. That is one of the most enjoyable, inspiring, uplifting reads I have ever done. It is special to actually have met someone who is doing this. Growing up in North Georgia just miles from the AT and visiting many of the gaps and mountain tops a thru hike has always been a dream. Well that has been replaced with time so a very well written account will bring me warm feelings and a smile. And yes, a tear or two. Thank you for the link to his journal. I will enjoy the trip. It was so much fun to read from day 1 thru yesterday at one sitting I may wait a week between reads. It is the best "book" I have read in a long time. Hope the Umstead Hang was of useful value. Chigger
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsFord View Post
    Hikerdelita thank you for posting Jason/Caveman's journal.
    Reading it has made my Tuesday evening even better.
    Hope to see you and Jason again soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma96 View Post
    thanks Hikerdelita for keeping us informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotlips View Post
    Thanks for hooking us up with his journal. We were talking about him at the Fatt Butt hang, wondering if he had started his hike yet. Good to know he's enjoying the trip.
    Thanks, all! So much. I really felt badly and kept meaning to get it posted sooner but just never got to it with all the trips. I am still trying to get caught up and hope to join Jason hiking for a few days in Virginia and join you all for another hang in NC before he gets "thru" the AT. I am enjoying the journal as well and still learning, still hoping to do my own thru.

PS, can someone pls mention the link to gunner and any other Umstead-ers you talk with?

Thanks!

hikerdelita in NC

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    can someone pls mention the link to gunner
    found it

glad to know we were able to be of some help to him at Umstead

hope he has a great time on the trail.
    Frosty Butt Hang Jan 2015 .................. Fat Butt Hang April 2015..........Hunger / Halloween Hang Oct 2015

neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

I am 18 with 43 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    He's packing a guitar ? Just got thru reading his journals. Well written and very entertaining.
    Frosty Butt Hang Jan 2015 .................. Fat Butt Hang April 2015..........Hunger / Halloween Hang Oct 2015

neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

I am 18 with 43 years of experience !

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    found it

glad to know we were able to be of some help to him at Umstead

hope he has a great time on the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    He's packing a guitar ? Just got thru reading his journals. Well written and very entertaining.
    The help from everyone at Umstead was very key. You can imagine the last minute rush to gather equipment. I cannot imagine it if we had not learned what we learned.

Yes, he is packing and playing a guitar and apparently taking up every opṕortunity to enjoy local color. Thanks to all for your kind comments on the journal, as you can imagine, I thought I might be prejudiced. :-D

I may not be around for a while. Have to catch up on other stuff sometime, but hope to be back to the trail or hangs soon.

hikerdelita in nc

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    HH Dia. & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdelita View Post
    The help from everyone at Umstead was very key. You can imagine the last minute rush to gather equipment. I cannot imagine it if we had not learned what we learned.

Yes, he is packing and playing a guitar and apparently taking up every opṕortunity to enjoy local color. Thanks to all for your kind comments on the journal, as you can imagine, I thought I might be prejudiced. :-D

I may not be around for a while. Have to catch up on other stuff sometime, but hope to be back to the trail or hangs soon.

hikerdelita in nc
    Doing 20-25 miles a day might give you something to brag about but Jason is doing it right. He will have way more stories and memories.