Recommend a camping hammock?

i wanna hammock camping,pls recommend one.i need a comfortable,portable and inexpensive hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    There are a lot of options available. Maybe you could let us know a little more about what type of camping you enjoy. What is the weather like where you like to camp? What is your price range?

When I first started I went on YouTube and did a little research so I could see different types of setups. I suggest getting familiar with shug's channel (as would anyone else) to get a good feel for what the elevated life is all about.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I can also second Shug's channel. Great videos and entertaining as well with a ton of info. You really can't beat the Yukon Outfitter deals that have been on woot recently. $25 bucks for a hammock and bug net. Great price point to jump into the hammock world.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    By Shug, they mean the Youtube user shugemery

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    The hammock is just one of the shelter elements needed for hammock camping. If you're planning anything longer than a day hike you will need:

1. A hammock and the suspension to hang it.
    2. A tarp to protect you from rain, sun, wind.
    3. A top quilt or re-purposed sleeping bag.
    4. A bottom quilt to reduce the loss of warmth due to airflow under the hammock (a pad like a yoga mat is an alternative)

There's a wide variety in each of those elements, and you must do your research to find what works for you. Lots of information in this site. You can start here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ammock-nirvana

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Other things to consider;

1. Is weight a concern? Will you be hiking long distances? If so you will want lighter materials.

2. What type of sleeper are you? Hot/cold? The answer to that will help you decide if you can just get away with reflectix in a sleeve of a double layer hammock or would you need an underquilt as stated before. This is using a 65 deg night as the base temp.

There a many many makers out there. Watch some You Tube vids as discussed earlier and take the plunge.

I don't think you could just go with one though. It turns into a sickness of never ending gear purchases....
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chengcheng View Post
    i wanna hammock camping,pls recommend one.i need a comfortable,portable and inexpensive hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    The hammock is just one of the shelter elements needed for hammock camping. If you're planning anything longer than a day hike you will need:

1. A hammock and the suspension to hang it.
    2. A tarp to protect you from rain, sun, wind.
    3. A top quilt or re-purposed sleeping bag.
    4. A bottom quilt to reduce the loss of warmth due to airflow under the hammock (a pad like a yoga mat is an alternative)

There's a wide variety in each of those elements, and you must do your research to find what works for you. Lots of information in this site. You can start here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ammock-nirvana
    Piggybacking on this fine advice from Gravity, when you say you want a recommendation of a camping hammock, technically that should mean a hammock and shelter only, but all too often folks think the hammock replaces a tent pad. Keep in mind that the primary use of a pad is to insulate you from the ground. Hammocks have air flow underneath which increases the need for insulation. Add that to the fact that pads are engineered to be spread flat on the ground, not cupping your body in an oblong bowl shape in the hammock, and you'll quickly find why everyone like underquilts (half a sleeping bag on the bottom, outside the hammock so that the hammock supports your weight, thereby not crushing the loft of insulation underneath).

An all in one package for a camping package is available with the Hennessy product, and those are available at a lot of camping outlets including REI. I would get the Explorer instead of the Backpacker unless you consider yourself short.

Otherwise, like Gravity said, its up to you to figure out what combo of hammock, tarp, top & under insulation works for you and your budget. All too often, folks hear about hammock camping and see a price tag on a hammock only and think its the way to go. It is, of course, the way to go, but you wallet could be in for a shock. I'm in favor of going with a cheaper hammock as your base, and working from there. Depends on where you camp, but in my book, I'd consider a netless hammock first and get a net later if needed. Take a head net if you're afraid of bugs at night (I've never used mine).

A good tarp is a worthwhile purchase and they run a little over $100 for a good hex tarp, plus about $30 for lines, etc. Then from there, use what you have (bag, pad) and then determine where your money needs to go to complete your setup.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    if you are a short guy like me (5'5") the yukon outfitters with a bugnet is pretty nice slept in mine first time this weekend it was great!. i bought mine out of impulse one day when i seen it on woot... good ole woot.

i dont know anything else really about any other hammocks lol i been debating on buying a couple others to mess around with but this one works and im a cheapskate lol.
    Last edited by wagex; 05-05-2015 at 14:25.

Well, there are dozens of cheap $10-$20 gathered-end hammocks at amazon or Walmart. Buy one and try it out.

• + New Posts