Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images

5 Day Hike in the San Juans

So I just booked a trip to Colorado in June for a 5 day hike beginning in Telluride and ending in Ouray, Colorado. This will be my first longer backpacking trip. I don't have to bring my hammock because there will be huts to stay in although I will probably throw it in the pack anyway. Anybody have any packing tips for a 5 day 4 night trip? Ive only ever done 2 nights so any help is appreciated. Meals that you like, appropriate clothing, etc. All information is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    Nobody's got anything for me? What about pack size for a 5 day trip? What size would you go with if you were carrying all of your gear for 5 days and what size would you go with if you were only carrying your clothes, sleeping bag, and food?

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Your title say San Juans (Islands I assume..in WA) but your post is about a trip to Colorado. Might get specific feedback if you mention Colorado instead from those folks in Colorado.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    Well I can't change the title but if people read the post it says colorado in the first sentence

Well you've got shelter already covered....how about a blowup matterss? And something to heat up food, and a pot? Once you know what all you're going to drag along, it'll be apparent how big a pack you'll need. The San Juan's are beautiful, but from my limited experience there's snow in the higher elevations up until about mid July. You tour operator should have a sugested gear list .

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Briguy114 View Post
    So I just booked a trip to Colorado in June for a 5 day hike beginning in Telluride and ending in Ouray, Colorado. This will be my first longer backpacking trip. I don't have to bring my hammock because there will be huts to stay in although I will probably throw it in the pack anyway. Anybody have any packing tips for a 5 day 4 night trip? Ive only ever done 2 nights so any help is appreciated. Meals that you like, appropriate clothing, etc. All information is welcome. Thanks in advance!
    I've heard about the huts but never looked into them. I would love to learn more about them if you have links.

That part of Colorado in June you will encounter cold weather. Plan on lows in twenties. Not sure about rainfall at that time but June in Montana was wet so may be the same there. I use a 46L GG Gorilla for most trips 4 days and under. Longer than that I may need my bigger ULA Catalyst to fit the food bag. Even though you are staying at huts you may want a tarp to get some shade for lunch or if a thunder shower sneaks up on you.

This is my gear list for most trips. I haven't really updated it lately so a few clothing and other things have changed but not very much. The chair doesn't always come on the trip either.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah I know I need to bring clothes for weather ranging from hot to below freezing. They have cooking utensils and everything in the huts but ill probably throw a cook kit in there anyway, it doesn't take up much space. I was planning on bringing a tarp along as well, probably just the yukon outfitters diamond rain fly, but I do have a kelty noahs 12 as well. the problem with the kelty is the pack size.

As far as bringing a pad to sleep on I won't need one because there are already mattresses in the huts. they also have sleeping bags if you want to use them but you have to bring your own liner. I will probably end up bringing my own bag.

For info on the huts check out SanJuanHuts.com

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can't recommend Pack-it-Gourmet enough for food. I've had 6-8 of their meals and I've never been let down, and I've re-ordered. Do yourself a favor and buy their meals for dinner at least. Anytime I'm in the woods for more than a day or two, I'll be bringing PIG. Have fun! Those mountains are AMAZING!

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    I have heard good things about the packit gourmet meals. Ill probably order a few to try before my trip

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    My experience with the 10th Mountain Div. hut system (Front Range / Sawatch / Elk Mtn. ranges) has always been that the hut gets wicked hot at night with the stove/fire going. Even my 40 degree bag ends up completely unzipped and half off of me at night. No need to pack heavy/bulky sleep gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast