Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dutchware Suspension + New Hanger thoughts

Hi all, first time ever considering a camping hammock. I don't really want to spend as much as it would cost to get a blackbird setup so I was looking at dutchware hammocks.

The suspension options for the dutchware hammocks seem pretty expensive at basically the same price as the hammocks themselves... are these fairly standard prices for what you're getting or should I be looking elsewhere for those components?

With the hammock + suspension + a fronkey bugnet and a rain tarp prices all adding up i kinda feel like I might as well buy a hennessy hammock or a blackbird and have a hassle-free all-in-one purchase.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I originally purchased a HH Hyperlite Asym Zip hammock. It served me well for the approximately 18 months I had it, but decided it was time to upgrade some things because the "hassle-free all-in-one" hammock I got wasn't quite cutting it anymore.

I'm happy with the hammock itself, but I've since added a Hammock Gear Incubator, a Hammock Gear Burrow, a Warbonnet Superfly (tarp), Kammok Python Straps (tree savers), and am about to purchase two continuous loops and two whoopie slings with whoopie hooks from Dutch Ware Gear.

So, while I initially purchased the "hassle-free all-in-one" hammock from HH, I still made changes. I guess that's something you might want to keep in mind...the "hassle-free all-in-one" version doesn't mean you won't want to make changes to it as you learn about other options and after you get some hangs under your belt. It took me about a year and a half of hanging to decide there were some things I could do to make my hanging life easier and it was worth the time and money to do so.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Here are a couple thoughts:

Dutch's prices are generally quite competitive. If you price out what it would take to make most of the suspension components yourself out of raw materials (sewing tree straps, splicing whoopie slings and/or continuous loops) you'll find he doesn't charge much for the finished product. Splicing and sewing can be fun, and if you like the idea of making some of your own gear I encourage you to try it. At the end of the day you'll probably agree that it's only worth doing for the enjoyment and learning, not for the few dollars you might have saved on your suspension. Don't forget you'll want a ridgeline for the hammock as well. That's extra, but a stock component for the HH or Blackbird.

The stock Hennessy tarp turns out to be insufficient for just about anyone's needs. Add the money for the upgrade to their hex tarp at a minimum to what you're considering. The Hennessy suspension is outdated and cumbersome. Add the cost of switching that out to something that is easier to work with if you want apples to apples against the competitors. Lastly, lots of people find the HH to be less comfortable than other vendor offerings. YMMV on that. You'll have a hassle-free purchase, but I doubt you'll have entirely hassle free use of what you purchase.

On to the Blackbird... it doesn't come with a tarp. You'll need to add that to your purchase. It's a reasonably hassle-free purchase, and likely a better experience then you'll have with a HH but you'll pay more on day one.

The main benefit to going Dutch is that you will have a very modular system where you can easily swap out parts. Turns out you don't like the stretch of Argon? Sell the hammock for a $15 loss (postage inclusive) and buy one made of a different material. Everything else can stay the same.

Background: I own hammocks from all three vendors.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit and 20 others
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    All of them
    P Chang and DanglingModifier pretty much described exactly what I went through as well. I was originally overwhelmed by all the options too. Even the thought of picking out a separate tarp and learning how to rig it was apparently a bit scary to me at the time, so I tapped out and bought a Hennessy Expedition instead. Don't get me wrong, coming from a tent, the transition was a game changer, and I used my Hennessy with stock tarp for almost 2 years or so, but eventually I upgraded the tarp to the larger Hex model, put heavy as lead Python straps on it to escape the cumbersome stock suspension, and shortly after just went and bought a Dream Hammock Darien with cinch buckles which literally saved me like 3 pounds compared to my original setup, haha.

The plan was to pass my Hennessy on to my wife to use, but you know what I ended up doing? I just recently bought her an 11 foot purple NylonD hammock from Dutch (I had previously experimented with some 10 foot loungers, so I was already hooked). The modular systems are just so customizable and fun - it's hard to resist once you get some knowledge. We still use the Hennessy Hex tarp for her, which I love, so I'm getting my money's worth out of that. The HH Expedition though? I'm actually not even sure which drawer I put it in at this point. And again, it's not a bad hammock by any means. But that's just how things ended up.

I think the main factor for me was not getting very deep into these forums when first buying and using a hammock for quite some time. Once I did, my perspective changed pretty quickly. The fact that you're already posting and asking questions before even buying a hammock leads me to believe that you might end up with a similar story in a year or two. Just a guess
    Last edited by Sintax77; 04-29-2015 at 10:40.
    I'm that guy from YouTube that likes to walk around in the woods and talk to a camera... Check me out on Youtube, Sintax77.com, Twitter or Facebook

Images
    This is a completely unscientific statement and only supported by what I read here on the forum on a daily basis. The person that walks into the hammock world and make their initial purchase and stay completely with that purchase and makes no changes, whether that be tarp, suspension type or even the hammock itself, is a rarity. Yeti or Sasquatch rare.

One thought not presented thus far for you, and I may have missed it in the reading of the other posts, is the DIY route. This may not be an option for you because of time constraints or perceived, on your part, lack of ability, however it is a relatively less expensive way to go.

In the interest of full disclosure, I sleep in a HH but I have changed the suspension method, had a modification done on the zipper bugnet. I initially upgraded to a larger tarp but have since purchased and used several different varieties of tarps.

The Dutch avenue is a sound and safe way to enter the hammock world for most everyone, but I would dare say, yea even predict, that with use and time, you too will adjust, tweek or outright change the setup you get from Dutch out of necessity, interest or the sheer fun fiddle factor that is inherent in hammock camping.

Once you go hammock the odds are highly favorable you won't go back. Not a stone cold lock but pretty close. The key is to make some experienced friends that will walk with you through the process and you won't regret the choices you make along the way.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    It's true, I started out with a HH Explorer. Don't get me wrong, it's quality construction and I'm sure lots of people are happy with it, but I found it lacking in so many ways. I didn't have another couple of hundred to spend, so I started replacing it piece by piece using cheap and simple DIY. I now have a great setup that's lighter, fits not just me but camping style better, is more comfortable because it's made just for me and my tastes, and was about 1/4 the cost. Maybe half, I didn't keep track.

Any time you buy an off-the-shelf system, it will be something that's made to attract the largest number of consumers, and isn't necessarily going to be perfect for any of them.

That being said, I've ordered quite a bit from Dutch, and I've never been unhappy with anything. I've only ordered it for DIY purposes, though. I don't have any experience with his suspension systems.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft. Dbl.
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    As a fellow noob to the hammock world, I read a lot. Probably two months of lurking this site and the ultimatehang.com before I made my purchase. I'm glad I did.
    Originally I was going to go for a tricked out Thunderbird from Dream hammocks. I may get one someday, but I went with a 11 ft. Dutch NylonD.
    I blinged out with Dutch clips and Whoopie hooks. You don't need to at all. You can do it later, just get some long (15ft.) pair of tree straps and hang with a marlin spike. I do love my my dutch clips though.
    The beauty of hanging your hammock with marlin spike (or a slippery sheet bend) with the tree straps, is you can hang between pretty close trees, just a little father apart then your ridgeline. I do this when the whoopie hooks are just too long.
    If you get the hammock and whatever suspension from Dutch, don't forget a ridgeline. Dutch sells one cheap with brummel lops on both ends.
    Go with Dutch, you won't be disappointed. He ships super fast

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Digi
    Insulation
    HG top/btm 20.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Haha some of the comments in this thread remind me of me. Started with back problems, ordered a HH Exped A-Sym, used it for a while, ordered the bubble pad and hex fly, used that for a while. Got sick of it cause it was never that comfortable but still better than the hard ground. Now I got me all kinds of titanium bling, high speed high tech ropes made of magic, and tarps so light and thin I can see through them. And it's all around half the weight and pack size of the HH setup.

Dutch's stuff is da bomb and really makes setup exciting and fun at the end of a long day hiking when I'm worn out. It's so simple and light it's a blast to put up. I used to use knots for everything and can't remember the last time I tied a knot on the trail it's awesome.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me... Philippians 4:13

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I've been hanging with a $40 hammock from Sports Authority which I complement with a tarp from walmart, and some brown tule from Jo Ann Fabrics that I've sewn into an enclosed bugnet (my time to do without which is seriously limited now with the warm weather (finally) here today) in all I probably have $150-200 in just the hammock system (2 hammocks, one for me, one for my gear; the tule; the tarp; straps for hanging and to give the bottom hem of my bugnetting some weight and strength; cammo paracord, for ridgeline and tie-outs; Bungees; stakes; etc. The straps I use are actually 2-inch nylon belts that my job is nice enough to unknowingly "donate". The clips broke quickly under the stress, but I am resourceful.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Oh, and I have been hanging almost continuously, a 3.75 season hanger, for the last 3 years since I started, and doing it with almost no spare cash. Feel free to pick my brain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast