12" 1.1 ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 11"
    Insulation
    Jacks 'r' Better
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckel/Kevlar

Eagle rock loop!!!!

I am heading up to Arkansas and am going to be completing the Eagle rock loop soon.
    I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or things to look out for?

Thanks
    Doc

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Digi
    Insulation
    HG top/btm 20.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Not really anything to look out for other than the campground area in bad weather. There was a rather nasty flood there that unfortunately caused a few campers to lose their lives. The trail itself is gorgeous though, it starts out with lots of steep but mellows out shortly. One thing I guess to mention is that the first time there it took some time to actually find the trailhead. This was due to the campground being closed "not sure if it still is". Drove all over that park trying to get to the trailhead and in the end just parked by the cabins by the river. If you have to do this immediately ford the river it's on average no deeper than 2 feet and up the other parking lot across is the trailhead. If I remember right there's a big wood sign and the blaze is white I think.

When are you going?
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me... Philippians 4:13

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    40* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Images
    check outEagle Rock Loop Trail Website and also backpackingarkansas.com for a lot of info and different stratageies

Hammock
    12" 1.1 ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 11"
    Insulation
    Jacks 'r' Better
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckel/Kevlar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman4049 View Post
    Not really anything to look out for other than the campground area in bad weather. There was a rather nasty flood there that unfortunately caused a few campers to lose their lives. The trail itself is gorgeous though, it starts out with lots of steep but mellows out shortly. One thing I guess to mention is that the first time there it took some time to actually find the trailhead. This was due to the campground being closed "not sure if it still is". Drove all over that park trying to get to the trailhead and in the end just parked by the cabins by the river. If you have to do this immediately ford the river it's on average no deeper than 2 feet and up the other parking lot across is the trailhead. If I remember right there's a big wood sign and the blaze is white I think.

When are you going?
    I will be heading out on the 22nd to the 27th (added in 2 travel days)

I read about the campers getting wiped out in the flood. That it is why it is so important to be aware of you surroundings and look for wash outs when your next to a river.

I don't camp on ground dweller sites anyhoo.

Doc

Hammock
    12" 1.1 ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 11"
    Insulation
    Jacks 'r' Better
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckel/Kevlar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawg777 View Post
    check outEagle Rock Loop Trail Website and also backpackingarkansas.com for a lot of info and different stratageies
    thanks!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Digi
    Insulation
    HG top/btm 20.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Phippsness View Post
    I will be heading out on the 22nd to the 27th (added in 2 travel days)

I read about the campers getting wiped out in the flood. That it is why it is so important to be aware of you surroundings and look for wash outs when your next to a river.

I don't camp on ground dweller sites anyhoo.

Doc
    Yeah that one exceeded the normal washout was the problem. There is a spot a few miles in directly off the side of the trail that is right above the river though. We stayed there last time even though it was only a few miles from the trailhead because it was so nice as well as being close to water yet well above it. I'm looking at going in a month or so, I've been having the urge to try night hiking by lamp.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me... Philippians 4:13

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    check out Backpacking Arkansas. They have a sub-forum just for the ERL. I've done it twice. Once we parked at the Winding Stair parking area and went clockwise. Hiked about 2 hours down the Little mo, then across most of the Viles Branch trail. Next day, in the rain, we hit the mountains. Rough section. Camped around past the Little Mo Falls area (about 15 miles in the rain). Next day, finished. Last trip, I parked at the NW corner, did counter clockwise. DId like 6 miles of the mountains that first day. Second full day, did it almost around to the little MO falls. Then finished by noon the next day. Yeah, hiking fast and hard! We went on then and did the Buckeye Trail and the Caney Creek trail the next day and a half.

Check the link for the USGS water gauge at Langley. That is also listed on the Backpacking site. If it is much over 3.5 feet, then you have dangerous crossings on the Little Mo back at Albert Pick (where the flood hit). Last I've heard, Albert pick is day use only, all camp sites removed. Even the bath room was closed last fall (it was open last spring). >> CLICK THIS for the langley water guage.

Click this LINK for maps
    Here is Backpacking Arkansas <<< click that

One thing, you don't need to carry much of is water. Like 1.5 liters while hiking. Have a container for the evening water. Most of the trail, is along the Little Mo river and the Viles Branch Creek. The mountains, at the bottom of every mountain (all 6) is a creek and water, camp area, etc.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    12&quot; 1.1 ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 11&quot;
    Insulation
    Jacks 'r' Better
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckel/Kevlar
    This website is meant to consolidate information on the Eagle Rock Loop Trail (ERL) into one location and to provide additional details about hiking the trail. As an active member of BackpackingArkansas.com (BPA), we field quite a few questions regarding the ERL so hopefully this website will provide an easy way to navigate to the information needed to plan your hiking trip. We recommend that you join the free user forum at BackpackingArkansas.com and share your outdoor experiences. You will find a wealth of information about this and other trails across Arkansas, the Natural State.

Forest Service Trail Description: Eagle Rock Loop Trail (26.8 miles) is very difficult with a lot of steep and vigorous vertical activity (one leg alone crosses six ridges in eight miles, each between 500 - 800 feet). The Loop also has numerous tricky creek crossings, almost certainly requiring wet crossings in March and April, and one ford of the Little Missouri River (a.k.a. Little Mo) that can be 50 yards wide. Many experienced hikers consider the Loop a "test" of hiking skill and about the most difficult Arkansas has to offer. If you think you (and your group or family) can handle all that, the Loop is a great hike with scenery, vistas, a large volume cascading waterfall, and beautiful bluffs around the Albert Pike campground.
    Note: The ABF and LMT both use white blazes, the VBT has both yellow and white blazes.
    Arkansas State Website Description: The Eagle Rock Loop Trail (26.8 miles) offers the longest loop hike in the state. The entire loop is actually a combination of parts of three other trails: the Little Missouri Trail(LMT), Athens-Big Fork Trail (ABF) and the Viles Branch Equestrian Trails (VBT). This combination actually provides five trail head parking areas along the route. The Eagle Rock loop offers hikers a wide variety of resources from the crystal clear waters of the Little Missouri River and Viles Branch Creek to the wide-ranging vistas of the mountaintops along the Athens-Big Fork Trail. The route involves a number of stream crossings both on the Little Missouri and the Viles Branch. It also involves a number of steep hill climbs along the Athens-Big Fork Trail. Refer to descriptions of the Little Missouri and Athens-Big Fork Trails for additional information.
    Note: The ABF and LMT both use white blazes, the VBT has both yellow and white blazes.
    You should know the Eagle Rock Loop Trail is a National Forest Trail. There is no Ranger Station, no check-in point, no permits, no fees, and no souvenir shop. You are definitely in the forest. Dogs are permitted on the trail. There is fishing along the deeper sections of the Little Missouri River and the state has an annual stocking program of rainbow trout in sections of the Little Mo. (visit links for more details). There is no shortage of water on the ERL. If you aren't hiking along the Little Mo. you'll be crossing mountain creeks and streams every few miles. Just be sure to fill up before the mountain climbs.
    Camping along the Eagle Rock Loop Trail
    Camp in established campsites to reduce impact and practice the principals of leave no trace (pack it in, pack it out). Another popular phrase is to "take only pictures and leave only footprints." There are established campsites all along the Eagle Rock Loop trail for both tents, tarps, and hammocks. The only camping issues that you may run in to is if you have a large group of five or more tents. However, there are several places along the ERL that can handle large groups; although, you may need to spread out across two or more established campsites. There is a large camping area past the Crooked Creek crossing going CW. Another one a mile or so past the Blaylock Creek crossing (the one near the WS parking) going CW and located where the trail first descends down to the Little Missouri River. There's also a large site at Long Creek on the ABF trail for group camping. There is actually enough room at Eagle Rock Vista for group camping, but you'll need to arrive early as it is popular especially during the spring. Here is a PDF document with GPS coordinates for several campsites along the trail.
    There are campsites close to the various trail heads if you are arriving late or just want to stage for your hike. There is a campsite approximately 150 yards down on the LMT from the ABF / LMT junction parking. Camping is not permitted at the parking area. There are a few campsites within a quarter mile past Little Missouri Falls day-use area going CW. Again, camping is not permitted at the parking area. There is a large group site down from the Winding Stairs parking found by hiking down towards the creek and turning sharp left at the trail junction, which is the ERL going CCW. This site is less than 200 yards from the WS parking area. There is also a small site at the Blaylock Creek parking area to the west.
    Treat drinking water with your preferred method (pump, tablets, gravity filter,chlorine bleach, Steri-Pen, Sawyers, etc...). For more details on "all things gear" visit this forum discussion on BPA.
    The Eagle Rock Loop Trail is largely maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers from BPA and the Bayou Chapter of the Ozark Society (ABF sections). There are always more volunteers needed so if this interest you please visit BPA and consider adopting a section of the trail.
    Other staging options include camping close by the night before:
    • Shady Lake FS Campground, 8 miles from Blaylock Creek parking (showers, closed from Dec. to the end of Feb.)
    • Bard Springs FS Campground, (no showers) 4 miles from Blaylock Creek parking (pit toilet, CG is in two sections with one being seasonal)
    • Horseshoe Bend Corps of Engineers Campground (showers) at Dierks Lake, approx. 40 min. from Albert Pike RA.

Mountains Along the ERL (elevation gains are CW / CCW)
    • Albert Pike Overlook: +340' / 480'
    • Eagle Rock Vista: +420' / 120'
    • Brush Heap Mtn: +360' / 709'
    • Leader Mtn: +569' / 220'
    • Brier Creek Mtn: +230' / 362'
    • McKinley Mtn: +412' / 333'
    • Hurricane Knob: +443' / 410'
    Resource Sheets from Ouachita Maps
    • Mileage and Elevation Profiles CW
    • Mileage and Elevation Profiles CCW
    • Waterproof Topo Maps: The entire trail is available as a two map set on color weatherproof paper (11x17). The maps are $5 each plus S&H by emailing [email protected]. The maps are also available at Backwoods in Tulsa, Ozark Outdoor Supply in Little Rock, and Pack Rat Outdoor Center in Fayetteville.
    • More backpacking opportunities can be found in the nearby Caney Creek Wilderness Area. Specifically the Caney Creek Trail and the Buckeye Mountain Trail, which can also be hiked as a loop and includes the very scenic Katy Falls. Another trail close to this area is theCossatot River Corridor Trail, which has a nice visitor center associated with the Cossatot River State Park-Natural Area.
    ERL Weather
    Average temp and rainfall for Mena, which is around 20 miles, as the crow flies, from the ERL. Keep in mind these are just averages. Record high and low temps are 109 and -7 respectively. Last frost typically occurs in April. You may also check the weather in Langley. Check the Little Missouri River Langley Gauge prior to your trip. If the reading is at or above 4' then crossing the Little Missouri River is considered dangerous and not recommended. Cross at your own risk. Know the weather forecast in advance of multi-day trips.

ERL Water Crossings: Descriptions go clockwise from the ABF / LMT junction. Click on the yellow circles or links for a picture of that crossing.

Check the Little Missouri River Langley Gauge prior to your trip. If the reading is at or above 4' then crossing the Little Missouri River is considered dangerous and not recommended. Cross at your own risk. Know the weather forecast in advance of multi-day trips.
    The Ouachita Mountains run west to east (Google Earth view 1,view 2), which helps explain why the Little Missouri River can rise so fast. The mountain runoff will flow in to Long Creek, Blaylock Creek, and several other smaller creeks flowing south and east and merge into the Little Missouri River, which flows all along the north and east sections of the trail. The Little Mo. will become deeper the further you travel along the trail going clockwise. There are a hand full of stories of scout troops or other groups getting caught in the Winding Stairs area after overnight thunderstorms waiting for the Little Mo. to drop. A group from Louisiana was rescued by a National Guard helicopter in May 201. Water levels typically drop within a day of heavy rains. If there is a day of rain in the forecast during your trip, you may choose a hiking strategy that saves the deeper water crossings after the runoff. View theStrategy page for more details.
    Most of the water crossings are considered "minor" and are crossed by hopping small to medium rocks over shallow water. These crossings are commonly called "dry" crossings since your feet don't get wet. The crossings circled in yellow will likely be wet crossings requiring the hiker to remove footwear. It will be easier to cross the rocky bottom with some type of water shoe and a hiking stick or a set of trekking poles for added balance and stability. It is recommended to take your hands out of the straps of trekking poles when crossing for safety reasons. Also note that if you are carrying a heavy backpack your balance and agility will be diminished. Always unbuckle the waist belt of your backpack while crossing deep fast flowing water. If you take a fall it will be easier to ditch the heavy wet pack and regain your footing. Slightly face upstream and take specific grounded steps as you move across the water. Another safety precaution to take if crossing knee deep water with a group of younger (or short) hikers is to stage one of the stronger hikers 10 yards downstream. This would allow for a quick recovery should someone lose their footing and get caught in the current. Double tie your boots on the back of your pack and have a bandana handy for drying your feet.
    There are 3-5 water crossings along the ERL that you can expect to be wet crossings. This of course depends on recent rainfall, your crossing stride, level of confidence / experience, and your risk factor. These crossings all occur on the LMT section of the ERL.
    The first of these potential wet crossings occur near mile 6 going CW from the ABF / LMT junction. You will cross the Little MO then go right and cross Crooked Creek. Both of these crossings are somewhat narrow, can be a foot or two deep with big rocks to hop across.
    Near mile 8 is another possible wet crossing. There is a rock shelf slightly upstream that can be crossed dry if the rocks are spaced just right for your stride; otherwise, drop your pack and take off your boots.
    Just down from the Winding Stairs Parking area you will approach another often wet crossing at Blaylock Creek. You can see remnants of a foot bridge that was washed away by flood waters several years ago. At one point there was a cross nailed to a tree downstream from the crossing signifying someone's tragedy. Blaylock Creek feeds in to the Little MO, which helps explain why your next two crossings will be wet.
    There is a double crossing of the Little MO (near mile 13) just before you enter the Winding Stairs area. The first ford is deeper with more current and comes out on a sand bar. The sand bar changes shape with each flash flood and was totally covered in trees before the June 2010 flood. Over the sand bar is the second crossing with very slick rocks. This video shows the crossing beginning at time stamp 1:27 and will give you a good idea of what to expect with a knee deep crossing (thanks Smokehouse!).
    The last major wet crossing of the Little MO is near the junction of the LMT and the VBT. This crossing is wide, not very deep, and only swift near the middle.

Viles Branch Trail (VBT), southern section of the ERL. You will see both yellow and white blazes on the VBT leading to the ABF or LMT trail depending on what direction you are hiking. No fewer than 8 likely "dry" crossing over Viles Branch Creek, which feeds in to the Little MO. Most of these are rocky crossings and are typically crossed without needing to take off your boots. Keep in mind the rocks are slick, your boots will get a little wet, which increase your chances of slipping. I have seen more than one backpacker slip and fall in to six inches of water. Usually the only thing hurt is your pride and a nice bruise to prove it; although, it wouldn't take much for a fall to end in a head injury.
    Athens Big Fork Trail (ABF), western section of the ERL. At the bottom of every mountain there is a creek. Again, most of these will be "dry" rocky crossings. One of the larger crossings is where the trail crosses Blaylock Creek just after you cross FS 106. This could be a wet crossing after a good rain.
    Here is a short video with a few water crossings (Viles Branch Trail, footage around Winding Stairs with/ Little Raven Creek, Blaylock Cr. crossing, and ends with Little Missouri Falls).
    Flash Flood Warning! Water may rise rapidly during stormy weather especially on the Little Missouri River. Notice: On June 11, 2010 twenty people lost their lives in a flash flood that swept down the Little Missouri River through the Albert Pike Campground. The weather forecasted 30% of showers. It rained 6-8 inches overnight and the Little MO raised at a rate of 8 feet per hour and peaked at 23 feet near Langley. Visit this link for more details on the Albert Pike Flood. The campground remains closed to overnight camping.

Strategies
    Pretty simple question right? ERL backpackers often find themselves discussing strategy when planning to hike the loop. A few things to consider are; where you are driving in from, do you want to hike it CW or CCW, should you hike the mountains along the Athens Big Fork trail first or last, and what exit strategies are available on the planned route. Another thing to consider is how many days you want to be on the trail and where you might want to camp. If you want to camp atop Eagle Rock Vista or along the scenic Winding Stairs section then where to start and how many days you'll be on the trail is very important. Also how many miles per day you want to hike. Most people hike the ERL in three days and two nights, but it can easily be done in two days or a more leisurely approach of four days and three nights. The longer you have the more time you can spend enjoying your favorite section or explore a side creek or stream. Note: The ABF and LMT both use white blazes, the VBT has both yellow and white blazes.
    Some backpackers prefer to hike the Athens Big Fork section first while they are fresh, which means going CCW and beginning at the ABF / LMT trail head located on the northwest part of the trail. But, this strategy means your backpack will be at its heaviest. Others decide to save the ABF mountains for the very end when their backpacks are lightest; thus, going CW from the ABF / LMT trail head. Then you could start at Blaylock Creek parking and split the mountains 2/4 or 4/2 depending on which direction you go.
    Here's a group trip ideal especially for someone new to the ERL. Split the mountains over a four day trip, with half days on both ends (so it's really only three days). Hit the trail after lunch at Blaylock Creek parking going CW. Climb Leader Mountain and Brier Creek Mountain and set camp at Long Creek (west). This allows the group to ease in to the ERL and enjoy some camp time (around 3 miles). Day two hike over McKinley Mountain and Hurricane Knob, enjoy Little Missouri Falls, and set camp a mile or so after crossing Crooked Creek (8-9 miles). Day three hike down to Albert Pike and climb the overlook, make your way to the Blaylock Creek crossing and continue on to the scenic Winding Stairs section of the ERL and set camp (7-8 miles). Hike out the last day (roughly 7 miles) covering the 3.5 miles of the Viles Branch Trail and over Eagle Rock Vista and then on to Brush Heap Mountain and likely finish by lunch (72 hours after you started).
    One other thing to consider is the level of the Little Missouri River. If the river gauge at Langley is above 4' and no more rain is expected, then you could begin hiking the ABF trail at Blaylock Creek parking going CW allowing the Little Mo. to drop a day or so before you reach the deep crossing. As you can see, there are several strategies to consider and anyone you talk to will have their favorite route. If you get a chance, hike it CCW on one trip and CW on another and see which way you prefer.
    Exit Strategies (visit the Maps page for a more detailed map of the ERL).
    An exit plan should always be considered when hiking the loop especially if there are inexperienced or out of shape backpackers in your group. Spend some time reading a few trip reports and you will soon see that not all who start finish. For this reason, it may be safer to begin at either Blaylock Creek going CCW or Winding Stairs going CW. This stretch of trail includes 2 of the mountain climbs (Brush Heap and Eagle Rock Vista) on the ABF trail. So, it'll be a good indication of what the rest of the ABF will be like. If someone in your group decides to bail out on the first or second day they could exit at FS Road 106 and take the 4 mile road walk back to the vehicle. If hiking with a group with more than one vehicle it is a good idea to stage one vehicle somewhere along the trail. This vehicle could also serve as a re-supply point, which would allow the group to carry lighter packs. Both the Winding Stairs and Blaylock Creek parking areas are excellent places to stage a vehicle as well as FS 512. If starting from Winding Stairs or Blaylock Creek parking, it would take well over an hour to stage a vehicle at Little Missouri Falls or ABF / LMT junction depending on where you drove in from. Also, if someone in the group is simply bailing out because of trail fatigue, they could camp at the campsites near Blaylock Creek or Winding Stairs parking and enjoy the Ouachita National Forest while the rest of the group completes the loop. As always, be sure a family member or friend is aware of your itinerary and when you will be coming off the trail. Cell coverage is very unreliable throughout this area with only spotty reception on some of the mountains.

The Maps: The Eagle Rock Loop is comprised of two maps, east and west. They are nominal 1:24,000 based on USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle topographic maps and printed in color on 11x17, "Rite in the Rain” all weather writing paper. The loop was mapped with a WAAS enabled GPS and is drawn in three colors to designate the three trails. Also shown is the Winding Stair scenic area and Eagle Rock Vista. Other features include trailheads, segment mileage, general directions to park, waypoints and waypoint coordinates.
    Trail Mileage Tables: Two trail mileage tables are presented in pdf format. Both begin at Albert Pike. One is clock-wise and the other is counterclock-wise. This one is an Excel version that is interactive.
    Water Crossings: The crux of this hike are the numerous water crossings, especially the two across the Little Missouri River in the Winding Stair area. The water levels can be fatal as exemplified by the disaster of June 11, 2010 when a heavy rain sent a flash flood through the Albert Pike Recreation Area and swept 20 people to their death. Even after a normal rain, the river can be too high and swift for a safe crossing. It does comeback down in a day or so, so a rain mid-week may not affect your weekend hike. Alternatively, a downpour the night before you plan to cross may make you glad you have a map so you can bushwhack the crossings.
    Here is a link to the USGS water level gauge for the Little Missouri River near Langley, AR. It will give you an idea of how fast the levels rise and fall and what is normal. As a rough coorelation, 4.0 feet and below on the guage should not be a problem if you are prudent. The water level at the Winding Stair crossings should be about calf deep. Between 4 and 4.5 feet it may be doable but there is a risk of drowning if you screw up (sounds severe but slip with your pack cinched tight and you have the makings of a tragedy). Over 4.5, you might want to wait a day, consider the bushwhack over the ridge or join the kayaks frolicking in the river at Albert Pike.
    The Hike: The Eagle Rock Loop just may be the best hike in the Ouachita Mountains, combining rugged hill climbs though the mixed hardwood and pine forest with strolls along crystal clear streams. The loop is made of three trails and, with 5 trailheads, offers a multitude of hiking options. The hardwoods in this section of the Ouachita National Forest are oak with some maple. The pines are short leaf and loblolly. In the winter the smaller but evergreen holly trees are a striking contrast to the gray brown of the forest floor.
    This trail description goes counter-clockwise starting near the north end of the Highway 369 at the Albert Pike Recreation Area. The recreation area has been closed to camping and overnight parking since the flood of June 11, 2010.
    Follow the Little Missouri Trail (white blazes) north along the Little Missouri River. The trail is fairly level but crosses the river three times and two significant tributaries making it impassible when the water is high. Call the ranger station if there has been heavy rains or take note of the water level when you cross the bridge at Albert Pike. A small hot spring has been reported in this area about 5 minutes south of the Crooked Creek crossing, between the trail and the river.
    At 6.3 miles you will come to the scenic Little Missouri Falls, its namesake picnic area and the second trailhead. The trail swings west and continues its level march along the river for another 4.1 miles and 3 more crossings. The first crossing is an old bridge and the other 2 are usually dry boulder hops. At the third trailhead the loop turns south and follows the Athens-Big Fork Trail. Over the next 4.9 miles the trail crosses four prominent east west trending ridges formed by Ouachita thrust faulting, each with relief of 400 to 500 feet. The rocks supporting the ridges and cropping out along the river are Arkansas Novaculite, a sequence of black and near-white chert-like rocks that underlay this portion of the forest. After the fourth ridge, you will cross Blaylock Creek and reach the trailhead on Forest Road 106 (mile 15.3). The Blaylock crossing is wide and can be done with dry feet across a long stretch of stepping stones if the water isn’t too high.
    There are two more ridges to cross on this section of the loop, including an 800 foot haul up Brush Heap Mountain. Look for the spur trail to Eagle Rock Vista on the second ridge taking off to the right. The vista gives you a great view of Viles valley and Big Tom Mountain to the south..
    At mile 18.5 the trail drops into the valley of Viles Branch and intersects the Viles Branch Trail (yellow blazes). Turn left (east). The trail runs flat for the next 3.5 miles but crosses the creek 11 times. If the water isn’t high, they are easy and dry. Watch for wild turkeys and river otter.
    At mile 22, the Viles Branch Trail crosses the Little Missouri River and the loop rejoins the Little Missouri Trail. This is a wet crossing, year-round. Heading north you will reach the bluff overlooking Winding Stairs, a scenic area formed by a narrow water gap through one of the novaculite ridges, and a great swimming hole. Shortly, you will have another wet crossing across the Little Missouri, but don’t put your boots back on. You are on a gravel bar and have another crossing in about 50 feet.
    The fifth trailhead is the Winding Stair Trailhead located at mile 24.8. There is a short spur trail to the parking lot on FR 106. The loop finishes off with a 300 foot climb to a narrow rocky ridge overlooking Albert Pike and a steep decent to the parking lot (26.8 miles).
    Info: Featured in the Backpacker Magazine (Wild Weekend, April 2007, Midwest Edition). USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle topographic maps: Big Fork and Athens (trail not shown). Contact the Ouachita National Forest, Caddo Ranger District at (870) 356-4186. An 8.5” x 11 sketch map is available from the Forest Service website.
    Directions to Albert Pike Trailhead: Take Arkansas Hwy. 84 west of Glenwood, AR; turn north on Arkansas Hwy. 369 at Langley and go 6 miles. At Albert Pike, turn left on FR 106 and cross the bridge to the parking lot. Albert Pike can be accesses from the north via AR Highway 8. Turn south on Forest Road 43 about 5.6 miles east of Big Fork AR. Take FR 43 for 9 miles, turn right on FR 73 and go 3.1 miles to Albert Pike. Turn right on FR 106 to cross bridge to parking lot.

Everything i found on the trail thanks to you guys!!

• + New Posts