HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Zpacks Std. Cuben
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hennessy Hang Angle After Loading

I’ve been using my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe (for the length only, not weight limit) for a couple of years using the stock suspension with the carabiners and Rappel rings. I’m looking at replacing the suspension but have a bit of information overload from two weeks of reading and can’t get in my hammock to get answers to some of my questions (unless I want both my neighbours to have broken fence posts…).

I worry, possibly more than is reasonable, about the forces on my suspension since I have no idea what angle I’m actually hanging at. I’ve been stringing up my hammock about as tight as I can get it. I fully understand the math behind the 30degree hang angle, and I understand that the ridgeline sets the hammock sag… but what does the suspension actually do when I get in it (starting tight and horizontal)? I can’t imagine it drops down to 30deg, but maybe it does. I imagine more of a composite angle. I would video it if the fence posts in my back yard wouldn’t snap during my test or if I brought something to video with on any of my canoe trips. Any feedback?

I would like to go with 1” webbing, but between the unknowns about angles, and some safety factor for derating the webbing for knots/toggles, I don’t feel that I have a large enough safety factor.

I appreciate any help.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    If you start at 30 degrees the hammock wont sag, or will have very minimal additionl sag.

For reference the imaginary line between your thumb tip and pointer finger tip when you make a "finger gun" is about 30 degrees.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    I just converted my Hennessy to Cinch bugs with 15' tree straps. I used Amsteel continuous loops to attach hammock to the bugs. I weigh 175 lbs and so far this system works great for me .

Images
    There is an app for that. If you have a smart phone you can get the Hammock Hang Calculator and Clinometer by Derek Hansen aka Dehoja. It is available for Android or Iphone applications.

This will allow you to put a load on the hammock and have someone check the hang angle with the clinometer as well as determine the proper heights for setting your suspension points given the length hammock you are using, the distance between suspension points you are spanning and the weight load you are placing in the hammock.

It's a handy tool in your pocket as you are learning the "ropes".

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    What I like to do is set it up and sit in the hammock. If the ridgeline sags it needs to me tighter, however there shouldn't be more than 10 pounds of pressure on it so you should be able to twist it slightly with your fingers. If you can't, then loosen the suspension.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Zpacks Std. Cuben
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This forum is way more active than most other things I frequent... I didn't expect any replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    What I like to do is set it up and sit in the hammock. If the ridgeline sags it needs to me tighter, however there shouldn't be more than 10 pounds of pressure on it so you should be able to twist it slightly with your fingers. If you can't, then loosen the suspension.
    This is a good tip. I'll give that a try next time I'm able to set the hammock up. I've been pulling the hammock as tight as I can, so I imagine there's been a good deal more than 10lbs on the ridgeline.

I guess my solution will be to set it up somewhere and try it... If something looks strange I'll post back.

Thanks

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Pulling the hammock as tight as you can is not good. The Hammock Hang Calculator will help you understand the forces you're exerting with less than 30 degree angle. Play with it a bit and you'll see that a 5 degree hang angle (presumably what you're using) increases the shear forces by nearly a factor of 10 over a 30 degree angle.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts