Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I'll take issue with the advice against Hennessy, and the idea that its mostly panned by members here. Its not.
    Nobody has advised against Hennessy in this thread (yet anyway), and I certainly didn't indicate Hennessy was often panned by members. Panned means bashed. ENO, on the other hand, often IS panned by members. I think what people are really taking issue with is that I grouped ENO and Hennessy in the same sentence, and by doing so they think I'm indicating the brands have the same shortcomings or the same quality. That isn't the case. Hennessy value and craftsmanship is head and shoulders above ENO.

Read what I wrote again: members quite often steer people towards alternatives because there are often more comfortable or versatile alternatives in each of those price ranges. I haven't made any suggestions beyond exploring all the options. The OP hasn't shared enough details re: budget (are they a Taurus or BMW driver) and personal preferences for me to be comfortable making any recommendations yet.

Sarge, would you say more active (i.e. vocal) members on the forum are switching TO a Hennessy more often than they are switching FROM a Hennessy (ditto on ENO)? My observation has been that more people talk about outgrowing those brands than growing into them, and the people who keep them often choose to upgrade or replace components which don't perform as well as they'd like (e.g. tarp, zipper mod, suspension). The HH with its integrated bug net and tarp is effectively the jack-of-all-trades all-in-one hammock, and while it is certainly convenient for a new hanger to buy a single line-item and mostly be able to hang, the HH has the expected limitations that come with that mantle (i.e. master of none). I agree, the Taurus/Camry analogy works. Ergo, my follow up questions re: budget and preferences.

I'm not sure how practical it is for the OP, but seeing some gear at a group hang is the best advice in this thread so far. Nothing we type up can compete with actually seeing your options set up in front of you and talking in real-time with long-time users of that gear.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrain22 View Post
    Canada- winter? Which season were you shooting for with your setup?
    An under quilt may be one of your more important items in this setup, and I suppose that starts to put your budget to the next notch.. 250 if your shopping smart n cheap.
    Feel free to correct me guys but for the budgeting on a beginner setup:
    50- hammock
    50- tarp (100)
    30- carabiners, guy lines, stakes (130)
    100- under quilt (230)
    25- tree straps. (255)
    Welcome aboard Iamrain22.

My estimates were based on light weight and low volume items.

A light weight quality silnylon tarp will cost closer to $100.
    A quality full size 20 degree down underquilt will generally cost somewhere around $250. Any quilt you get for $100 will be synthetic, a bit heavier than down, and it won't pack down very small. Nearly all pads are much cheaper than an underquilt, but using a pad in a hammock isn't always a good fit for everyone.
    A basic quality hammock, bug net, suspension and tarp accessories will be another $150-$200. That's how I came up with the $500+ estimate in my previous post. That's also about the same price they'd pay for a Hennessy (which includes the hammock, bug net, suspension and tarp) plus an underquilt.

Sales or buying gear used could obviously drive the price down, as would picking less expensive items which might not pack as well for a bike.

Ah yes Dangling Modifier, I see where your coming from. The guy lines, hanging straps, lines, etc is where I am real fuzzy, or not in the know. The way I'm planning on going about my setup it's going to be around that budget I have above, but I suppose there are better tarps more in the line of 85. Hammock as well at around 85-100, but again that is just my own budget. So cool about this day and age- how you can go for the gold or for the crummy stuff too. Such a wide range.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I completely understand your points Dangler and everyone else. It is a very personal item to buy and try. I'm looking at the Explorer UL with a Hex Tarp. The bike can take a lot of weight but I'd rather not push it all..lol. HH are available over in Canada and are very popular so it's easy for me to get one where as the more custom manufacturers take a lot longer.

Budget is not an issue I can go as high as I want but I want a hammock that lasts and I won't have to worry if I damage it during a trip. If I'm dropping $500 on a hammock I'd be a little worried. I'm also looking at touring Vietnam next year so I thin the explorer UL will be great.

thanks again for all the advice it helped greatly

Heres a picture of the Bikepacking rig I'm using. Fatback Aluminum Custom fatback out of Alaska.

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images

Swelly swelly swell! I haven't really come across (anyone) for that matter of biking and hammocking, or even (simply) going ultra lightweight in their setup. There are plenty of perks I can see in making the system real light. Your more likely to feel that you can go for longer on your ride, pack more food, etc. Cross country biking is something I'm also real new too but boooooy am I excited about it!

Have fun with it Rich! That bike is looking as awesome as anything I've seen!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Gorgeous bike! There are quite a few hammock bikepackers on the forum, and if you pay to become a donating member you'll have access to the bikepacking subforum. It's not super active, but it's probably worth the $10.

If going with HH the hex tarp is a better choice than the stock tarp. Good choice. I'd recommend going with a zip entry hammock rather than bottom entry, and also reading up on alternate suspensions for it (which it sounds like you are doing already). The stock HH suspension works, but adjusting it is much more cumbersome than virtually every alternative. If your hands are sore from a day of riding the last thing you'll want to do is retie that suspension a few times to get the right hang angle.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Hennessy is the Ford Taurus of the Hammock world. Depending on model, its a good entry level all in one system that holds it value and will do good service over many years. They are durable and well made.
    My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip - served me well for two years. It is durable and well made, but the suspension is a pain, and definitely get the Hex tarp rather than the postage stamp tarp.

As for holding its value, I disagree. You can't sell a used Hennessy unless you sell it for a minimum of 30% to 40% off retail price. There is simply not a robust resell market for beginner hammocks like Hennessy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesilversurfer View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. I completely understand your points Dangler and everyone else. It is a very personal item to buy and try. I'm looking at the Explorer UL with a Hex Tarp. The bike can take a lot of weight but I'd rather not push it all..lol. HH are available over in Canada and are very popular so it's easy for me to get one where as the more custom manufacturers take a lot longer.

Budget is not an issue I can go as high as I want but I want a hammock that lasts and I won't have to worry if I damage it during a trip. If I'm dropping $500 on a hammock I'd be a little worried. I'm also looking at touring Vietnam next year so I thin the explorer UL will be great.

thanks again for all the advice it helped greatly

Heres a picture of the Bikepacking rig I'm using. Fatback Aluminum Custom fatback out of Alaska.

Rich
    WOW! What kind of bike is that and what kind of tires? I used to mountain bike off road years ago and I have really been wanting to get back into it.

As I said earlier, Explorer UL bottom entry is what I started out with back in 06, and that hammock is still going for me except I cut the net off. I also have 1 other zip model Explorer ULs now. These are fine hammocks for me, though I like some other hammocks at least as well or a little better and usually use them. The main reason I use them now is when I want to use the HH Super Shelter, which I still occasionally want to do. In fact, couple of years ago I set my personal best for winter hanging at 6F in an HH Expl UL, HHSS augmented with the HH kidney/torso pads, a 25-30F TQ and VB clothing. Toasty! Could have definitely gone a good bit lower. But we don't often get the chance to test lower than that way down in MS.

I lean more towards bridge hammocks with JRB MW UQ insulation, or Claytor No Nets insulated with Speer Pea Pods or Switchback hammocks these days. But if you can get better prices and shipping on that HH, I think you will probably do just fine. That hammock does just fine by me, as good for the fetal position as any hammock I have and better than most for that. And great on my back- as good as any- except for occasional calf pressure. But i get that in most of the other brands of non-bridge also, and some are a good bit worse, so no big problem for me. I sleep fetal most of the time anyway. At 6'1", for me the Expl UL is not the best side sleeper with legs straight, though not the worst either, but again I just sleep fetal.

So I think you will do great, but if you don't just sell it and buy something else. Too bad you can't wait until Oct, when HH has their annual odds and ends sale, always lots of good demo or slight flaw hammocks at a big discount. Easier for you to resell if you don't like.

1 caution: if you are going to Vietnam, you might want to consider a double layer hammock like a HH DJ- much more mosquito resistant. Although, if you spray with permethrin, the mossies won't be a problem anyway. Good luck on your decision!

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Takes me back seeing a bike loaded down ready for adventure.
    Wish you well in your adventures.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I love the bottom entry on my explorer. It's especially awesome in the middle of bug season (mid may to sept) here. Just dive in and leave the bugs behind instead of a wide open door for them to get in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast