Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark

Caddo National Grass Lands, Bois D' Arc Trailhead Campground, North Texas

Just posted surveys on the three camping facilities in Caddo National Grass Lands. Of the three I really liked the Bois D' Arc Trail Head Campground on FM 409.

If you are interested in a North Texas Southern Oklahoma get together, I would like to suggest the first weekend in June at the Bois D' Arc Trail Head. Water only, Privy, no shower, plenty of trees for hanging, could probably handle 40 or 50 hammocks. Little use other than horse trail riders. First come first serve $6 bucks a site, per nite. 28 miles of trails with primitive open camping.

Friday night...social hot dog fire. Saturday night Pot Luck. Fishing, hiking, boating, etc. Saturday and Sunday.

What weekend would be the best ? How bout June 12 and 14??????
    Last edited by John B; 05-03-2015 at 06:08.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    hennessy hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Hey John, I wonder if you might get the best response by putting it a week or so later. There is a hang at the end of May that will take some north texas folks out for the weekend and two weeks in a row might be hard for some. Just a thought. I think it's great that you are taking the initiative to get something going up there and wish you success.
    Hang in there. Sooz

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    I'll be watching this thread. Move never been to Caddo but I'm interested. I think June is pretty wide open for me.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    Sooz,

Yes, I can do that. Thanks for the reminder. I went back trying to find opposing dates but missed that one I guess. Naturally I was trying to stay as close to spring weather as possible yet give sufficient notice ergo the first weekend a month away. I will change it to June 12-14.

Again, it is our little group's belief we can and will develop new hangers from this region and will be no competition to the Central and South Texas Hangs. With this size population and the emergence of hammocks in popularity I see it as win win. Especially when coupled with hiking, fishing, kayaking, trail riding, dutch oven cooking and car camping locations the Goose Island format is perfect for folks who feel stifled by the big city atmosphere of North Texas.

Hope you can come up that weekend. John B

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    Freedom Van,

It's been suggested I move the dates to June 12-14. I hope this works for you as well. I'm hoping to make this the first of a series located in either North Texas, Southern Oklahoma or South Arkansas. I look forward to seeing you there. JBB

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    hennessy hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Hi John, Well, there's no such thing as a perfect date that's for sure. Plus you may draw on folks that won't come this far south also. Again, I think it's great that you are doing this and it seems more people are becoming interested in hanging. I know it's hard for me to get to long distance hangs and hopefully you will serve a similar group of folks in your neck of the woods.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Clark
    That's the general idea hanggirl. So the three Johns intend to camp at the Bois D' Arc TRail Head on June 12-14 if no one else comes or not. That's not to say we won't fish camp somewhere else in the mean time. We will post our camping plans and welcome those who are able to come along.

Tomorrow John W. and I will drive up to the LBJ Grasslands to try to sort that one out. We want to see what's available especially where camping and fishing combine. John and I have been trying to learn to fly fish and these are opportunities for further embarrassment at the hands of the fish.

After a few of these little scouting forays at least we will know what's in our own "back yard". I have to admit I am drawn toward the Ouachita National Forest and a few other places a little further north. I like the hills. I guess we will get to them sooner or later.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    hennessy hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    So many options, so little time. lol

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

After a few of these little scouting forays at least we will know what's in our own "back yard". I have to admit I am drawn toward the Ouachita National Forest and a few other places a little further north. I like the hills. I guess we will get to them sooner or later.
    When you are ready to venture north of the border, give me a shout.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    When you are ready to venture north of the border, give me a shout.
    He's one of the good guys John!
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast