Dutchware 11' Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad, for now
    Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I think you first have to get a hammock.
    Ouch. :-/

Should I be worried you didn't get my order, then? I got the confirmation email.

Maybe I'm too overexcited, but I figured upon purchasing, I technically became the proud owner of a hammock (even though I don't actually have it in my possession, and it might not exist in its final, gloriously sewn form yet). Like I said, I'm certainly guilty of being really excited.

Or maybe I took the many comments about your ultra fast shipping too seriously! I figured it was ok to celebrate and plan for a long future of loving my awesome new hammock, since actual possession of it is probably only a few short days away.

But perhaps I've broken some unspoken rule of the forum, because you are totally right, I haven't received my hammock from you yet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Congrats. It'll be fun but remember, there is a bit of a learning curve. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham Mocker View Post
    Speaking of group hangs, I've been lurking and looking for months, and nothing anywhere near me. Any tips on setting one up? I'm thinking that might be my first contribution back to the community - setting up a hang so other poor saps (like me) can check out the options!
    Nothing you can do about demographics. I live in one of the most densely populated states in America, with plenty of opportunities for group hangs, hikes and paddles. New Jersey has 1200 people per square mile, and the entire Northeast is densely populated. Arizona, on the other hand, has 58 people per square mile, and Colorado has 50.8 people per square mile.

That means that there aren't many hangers in your area, and a group hang requires folks to travel long distances. That's why you don't see a lot of group hangs in the Western states, and probably never will. Even when there are group hangs, attendance is miniscule compared to, say, a MAHHA group hang.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad, for now
    Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nothing you can do about demographics. I live in one of the most densely populated states in America, with plenty of opportunities for group hangs, hikes and paddles. New Jersey has 1200 people per square mile, and the entire Northeast is densely populated. Arizona, on the other hand, has 58 people per square mile, and Colorado has 50.8 people per square mile.

That means that there aren't many hangers in your area, and a group hang requires folks to travel long distances. That's why you don't see a lot of group hangs in the Western states, and probably never will. Even when there are group hangs, attendance is miniscule compared to, say, a MAHHA group hang.
    Thanks! That totally makes sense. The numbers really help paint the picture. I was wondering why there weren't any during the end of winter/early Spring when our weather is so beautiful! You really explained that well.

I thought maybe if there was one only a few hours from Phoenix, but up by the Mogollon rim where it's much cooler due to the elevation, in the dead of summer, that might at least convince a few people to come, just to escape the heat. I guess I'll keep that thought on the back burner and maybe when I know a little more, I'll try to see if there is any local interest.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Your order will be fine.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I just hot back from my first hang and it was great! Every piece of advice from this forum I read over the last month really helped. I learned all about the knots, the ridgelines, the gear, the price of New vs diy and the value of knowing when diy is not the way top go. I would be up for hours at night trying to mentally problem solve possible troubles. Now that I did it, I think I might be able to chill out again and think of some other things than hammocks. Two truths from the first hang: it does take a little getting used to. And I can't imagine going back to the ground. Thanks to all my new h.f. friends for getting me started off right!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad, for now
    Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie
    That sounds awesome, Kwhite! I'm glad it worked out for you.

I'm really hoping for a similar experience.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham Mocker View Post

Is this feeling of being slightly sick to your stomach (because it was really easy to spend a lot of money on random extra stuff from Dutch!), plus insanely relieved that you finally ordered SOMETHING (after only a few HUNDRED hours of research), normal?
    Sounds like Dutch ELM (Everyone Longs for More) Disease.

The cure requires you order some pee bags, a splicing needle, some surgical tubing, and 20 yards of cuben fiber. Or any other combination of Dutchware.

Welcome to the group!
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    and read and re-read The Ultimate Hang. So many different options,styles, and preferences adds to the confusion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12