Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    Good feedback, folks! Since I can't order the cover at a later date, might as well go for it when I order the hammock. I do find two things help insulation though: Costco sells merino tops and bottoms a LOT cheaper than something like Sitka or Kuiu, and since I'm a serious elk hunter, I look for ways to cut costs as well as vital weight. The Costco stuff works as well, especially when you're living in it for a week at a time on a long-range backpack hunt. The insulative value is priceless, and of course, being wool, it works just as well wet or dry. When I'm out in the high country, I don't take cotton. If there's any drawback it has to be the static the stuff puts off inside your bag-it's a light show!

So, Winter top cover it is!

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC 1.1 DL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    I second the Costco merlino wool uppers and lowers. Wore them for 6 weeks adventure ride to AK camping and adventure motorcycle riding daily. Lightweight and comfortable and wick moisture well.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Used my winter cover for the first time last night... Temp hit 21* with a steady 5-10mph wind. Tarp set up with one corner lifted with a pole to help with possible condensation and the other 3 corners about a foot off the ground. Using my new Loco Libre Gear 20* UQ (Awesome!!) and a sleeping bag. Didn't head to bed till well after freezing and I noticed the temp difference very quickly but had dripping condensation after about 5 hours. Not sure of exact humidity but it was around 40%... Oh and I was wearing a fleece baklava over my face thinking that would help...
    I was worried about this when I bought it since I get alot of condensation in my tent fly around this time of the year in the same conditions, so I debated alot but bought it anyways... Now I'm thinking I should have used the extra cash to get a Superfly rather than a Mamajamba and just stick with the netting...

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I mainly sleep with my face on the zipper so when I vent I'm pretty much exhaling outside. The winter cover helps a lot with wind, as it should. With that said I think a the XL sock would have been a better purchase for MY needs but it was not available when I bought mine.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I feel like that kind of defeats the purpose of the hammock... If I wanted to be forced to lay in a position that I don't want to lay I could have just stick with the tent setup I already had... I've noticed that, although not as well as the winter cover, the skeeter netting blocks alot of wind as well...

Images
    In some instances you'll still get condensation with a sock no matter what unless it's vented to the point of canceling out the temp boost (zipper wide open), it will also depend on the person as well (how much do you breathe how much heat do you put off). In fact, i've slept in cold humid temps with nothing but the bugnet above me and woke up lots of condensation on the bugnet itself even though it is alot more breathable than the sock material, and i've also camped in sub freezing temps with nothing above me at all except my topquilt and woken up with frost all over the topquilt. So sometimes there is nothing you can do (having something above you to collect the condensation wether it is a net or a sock is much perferable than having Ice on the shell of your quilt in the morning)

It is mostly dependent on the conditions though, in drier cold conditions like we have here in CO, even sub freezing, I never open the zipper at all to vent and the sock is dry as a bone in the morning.

The temp boost will take awhile to build up, and won't work as well obviously when the sock is vented, but when fully zipped the heat should eventually climb to 10-15 deg above the outside temp, and as others have stated this is particulary noticeable when opening the door in the morning.

You might want to try having a tarp above the sock, this may help (it may not, but is worth a shot)

Seems like I remember an old thread where folks were hanging a sham-wow or something from the RL inside the hammock in hopes that moisture would be absorbed...anybody remember how that turned out?

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It does sound like that could help, but IDK... I guess I will just have to break the kit back out and give it a try....

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterS View Post
    Overnight weather: Clear 37 degrees, morning dew, 10 mph wind died to calm overnight
    Configuration: WBBB-XLC 1.1 DL with 23" wide Klymit Static V pad R1.9; 19 degree REI Radiant Sleeping bag
    Tarp: None
    Testing: Pad on top, not in sleeve. XLC Winter Cover

Results:
    Pad on top
    I found that there are some benefits to having the pad on top vs inside the sleeve. The Klymit pad has large roll ziz-zag pattern that allows sleeping bag to fill the voids, effectively increasing the R value. When inside the sleeve, this won't happen. Also since the pad is raised, the bag can fill the edge void and provide side insulation. In addition. it is easier to verify that I am centered on the pad and adjust the pad and my position as needed. Another big benefit is that by extending my head barely over the end of the pad, my neck was much less strained. This worked great and I was very comfortable on both back and side sleeping. I had a few Cold Spot moments with my feet and CBS, but was able to quickly alleviate them by rubbing my feet together or rubbing the area that was cool. I was always centered on the pad. An insulated pad would solve this I am sure. Fluffing the bag hanging over the edge of the pad helped extend the effective width of lower insulation. It was cold enough that my face was chilled and I had to bury it in my bed.
    CONCLUSON: I think I would be fine with a SL hammock. More testing need for stuffing sleeve with clothing, etc.

Winter Cover:
    THE GOOD: The XLC optional winter cover (WC) really looks nice. It ships as camo. It lets light in but keeps wind out. Since my tarp has not yet arrived, I went bare as a test even though I could have rigged up my Noah's tarp. At dusk, the temperature was dropping into the upper 50's and a 5-10 knot wind was gusting. It was cold with the net fly. Switching to the WC stopped that entirely and I was no longer cold. This was mainly due to wind blockage since my internal temperature gauge matched my external temperature gage. It lets light through, but you can't see in or out. It was very pleasant and comfortable inside. It was a nice night and I unzipped the WC at my head area and enjoyed the view of the night sky and bright moon. Later the temperature dropped to 37 degrees and I was OK, though not always toasty warm.
    THE BAD: The claimed 5-10 degree temperature increase inside the hammock did not happen. It was the same temperature inside as outside. To be fair, I did not have a tarp and cannot be sure if the surrounding air was completely still though I felt no gusts. This matches my earlier quick tests at a warmer OAT where I saw minimal temperature gains.
    The major problem was condensation like I haven't seen since my early days with a PVC cheapie tent with several breathers inside. It completely coated the lower surface of the WC. Since the cover is suspended on the ridgeline well above me, I was dry. There was no condensation on the pad or hammock lower portion. But when I got up at 4:30 AM for a nature call, brushing against the surface could not be avoided. My shoulder and hat got wet despite my best efforts to move the fly out of the way. I ended up finishing the night in my bed in the house since I didn't want any more water to get on my gear.
    CONCLUSION: The winter cover is not working for me so far and is a disappointment. I need to repeat the test when my Superfly comes next week and see what influence that has.

Your Experience Please?
    I found sparse information on the web about the XLC Winter Cover. I think many, including me, would appreciate any feedback, tips and techniques based on your experience.

Thanks for reading

Mister S

Hmmm... I've used my winter top cover extensively over the last two years and have never experienced any condensation...not even my last camp out when both my large German shepherds weaseled their way inside! It got stuffy and warmer than I liked when the second dog (about 100 lbs) climbed in...but we didn't get condensation. It was a coolish (in the lower 40's) night with FIERCE winds.

I have frequently used the top cover in temps just below freezing and in rain storms and snowfall. The difference might be that I've never used the top cover without a tarp over it...I don't know if that'd account for a difference in lack of condensation or not...? I love my winter top cover. I'm glad I sprang the extra cost for it.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've used my top cover a couple times since I got the BBXLC in the spring and haven't experienced any condensation issues. I agree that it is highly dependent on the individual - I've pulled sleeping bags completely over my head and tucked in and never had condensation on the inside for the several hours I slept that way.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the nice review. I never looked into a cover, but I always wondered about condensation.

I always say I'd rather colder and dry than warmer and damp. Last winter I had my basic hammock with tarp in porch mode. At 28° it was fine. A little breeze won't hurt you if you have the right UQ and TQ. When my face got cold I just threw a sleeve from my fleece jacket over it (I use that jacket as a pillow)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast