DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    The Beckett Hitch and Quick Hitch are different knots. I'd be worried about using the Quick Hitch to suspend my corpulent corpse.
    I haven't had a chance to look at what a Beckett hitch actually is (I just assumed from another picture I saw here)! I use a quick hitch and it holds me fine :-) I'll check out a Beckett hitch, thanks!

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    A Beckett Hitch is just like a Sheet Bend.

I love it!
    I believe MatthewMeredith's "quick hitch" is what some may know as a "slipped Lap knot".

I've had trouble using the quick/Lap bend for hammock suspension with amsteel and some slippery old webbing -- it needed multiple slipped bights, or toggles. I'll try again with my new kevlar straps.

On a related knote, I don't like how the Becket hitch compresses and wears out the amsteel loop. I'm currently playing with a simple alternative, the overhand knot with a loop ("slipped overhand"?) Take this photo, just mentally morph the metal ring into an amsteel eye or continuous loop, and pretend the red rope is actually your kevlar tree strap. Only tried twice so far, but it seems easier to untie, easier on the amsteel, and holds my 160lb just fine. Will see how it holds up over time.

Really excited to try the lap bend with amsteel and kevlar straps! If it holds and doesn't chew up the cord too much, I can move my adjustment point from the loopaliens on my hammock to the amsteel/strap junction. Thanks!

[edit: just saw MM's thread, he uses toggles on the quick/Lap bend too]
    Last edited by octagone; 05-28-2015 at 16:54.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by octagone View Post
    I love it!
    I believe MatthewMeredith's "quick hitch" is what some may know as a "slipped Lap knot".
    Nice find, Octagone! Yep, slipped lap knot is definitely what I'm using. Animatedknots.com calls it a quick hitch as well

I've had trouble using the quick/Lap bend for hammock suspension with amsteel and some slippery old webbing -- it needed multiple slipped bights, or toggles. I'll try again with my new kevlar straps.
    It definitely still slips with my kevlar straps and amsteel, but it hardly puts any pressure on the aluminium toggle that I put in the "slipped" loop. A stick would work in an emergency, but the aluminum is nice and easy to slide out.

On a related knote
    Heh, heh... I see what you did there

I don't like how the Becket hitch compresses and wears out the amsteel loop. I'm currently playing with a simple alternative, the overhand knot with a loop ("slipped overhand"?) Take this photo, just mentally morph the metal ring into an amsteel eye or continuous loop, and pretend the red rope is actually your kevlar tree strap. Only tried twice so far, but it seems easier to untie, easier on the amsteel, and holds my 160lb just fine. Will see how it holds up over time.
    Nice, thanks for that! I'm going to try all three this weekend and see which one compresses the amsteel the least. The quick hitch seems slightly better than the beckett hitch, but I'm curious to try your "slipped overhand" as well.

Really excited to try the lap bend with amsteel and kevlar straps! If it holds and doesn't chew up the cord too much, I can move my adjustment point from the loopaliens on my hammock to the amsteel/strap junction. Thanks!
    I hope it works out for you! It's definitely knot (heh heh...) the easiest to adjust, but it's so fast to undo and re-tie that I'm sticking with it (I used to use descender rings on really long tree straps).

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    This "quick hitch" not only reduces the length of dyneema line but also takes the place of the Marlin Spike hitch. The downside is that it's not adjustable, however it's certainly quick to tie & untie. You guys are making me abandon my current suspension (which happens quarterly). I'm going all the way with this (maybe to the ground) and use Kelvar straps with my Dynaglide. I might still keep a whoopie (cushion)!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    This "quick hitch" not only reduces the length of dyneema line but also takes the place of the Marlin Spike hitch. The downside is that it's not adjustable, however it's certainly quick to tie & untie. You guys are making me abandon my current suspension (which happens quarterly). I'm going all the way with this (maybe to the ground) and use Kelvar straps with my Dynaglide. I might still keep a whoopie (cushion)!
    Yeeeeaaah buddy! Winnin' everyone over :-P

I am on the heavier end of the spectrum (215lbs) but found previously that a simple slippery overhand knot was insufficient for me. I ended up getting it to work by making a series of wraps before tying off (a variation on a full turn and two half hitches) I find this to be a great solution in terms of amsteel wear, holding power, and little force exerted on the toggle. However, I am using an SMC ring as the fixed end and it is slightly more time consuming to tie. I'd like to lose the hardware if possible.

I tested the amsteel becket hitch on continuous loops of 1/2" webbing. Got in the hammock and bounced around some before lounging. The amsteel held up nicely. So far only noticeable effect was temporary flattening where it passed around the toggle. The toggle on the other hand....

The force wasn't enough to crush the carbon fiber but it is very noticeably compressed. I imagine it would be fine with an aluminum toggle, but will have to dig my set up to test. I am also going to try the carbon toggles with MM's quick hitch and see how that goes.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    I am on the heavier end of the spectrum (215lbs) but found previously that a simple slippery overhand knot was insufficient for me. I ended up getting it to work by making a series of wraps before tying off (a variation on a full turn and two half hitches) I find this to be a great solution in terms of amsteel wear, holding power, and little force exerted on the toggle. However, I am using an SMC ring as the fixed end and it is slightly more time consuming to tie. I'd like to lose the hardware if possible.

I tested the amsteel becket hitch on continuous loops of 1/2" webbing. Got in the hammock and bounced around some before lounging. The amsteel held up nicely. So far only noticeable effect was temporary flattening where it passed around the toggle. The toggle on the other hand....

The force wasn't enough to crush the carbon fiber but it is very noticeably compressed. I imagine it would be fine with an aluminum toggle, but will have to dig my set up to test. I am also going to try the carbon toggles with MM's quick hitch and see how that goes.
    Wow, I would have thought carbon fibre would hold up better than that! The quick hitch makes the amsteel a bit flat after it is untied as well, but it seems to bounce back fairly quickly. Let us know how it goes!

I am seeing the whole spectrum here..... Wow! I decided to check out my weights. I have 9' suspension setup and I use a combination of 4' of 1" webbing straps and Dynaglide UCRs. They weigh in at a total of 62 grams or just over 2oz. I am happy with them and they have always been a little long for where I frequent. I am going to try some mule tape and see if I can keep up with Sgt Rock! Lol

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've larksheaded some 1/2" muletape to my hammock. I use a slippery Beckett hitch to attach the muletape to my polypro tree straps. I need to weigh that setup and see what it comes to. Replacing the poly with kevlar would easily save me some weight.

This is a photo with some 3/4" muletape to 1" polypro straps with a slippery sheetbend.

I'm hoping the 1/2" proves as stable as the 3/4".
    Last edited by geneaut; 06-11-2015 at 16:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast