Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings

La Siesta hammocks sale

There are a few La Siesta hammocks on Sierra Trading Post at the moment. There are 2 parachute nylon gathered end hammocks (single and double) and the rest are the cotton ones.

Does anyone have any experience with these hammocks, specifically the parachute nylon ones? I looked at the measurements and they seem to be a foot shorter than the GT double and the GT single. I have the GT double and love it and the GTUL which is not as comfortable possibly because I'm not hanging it right.

Also, does anyone have any experience with their suspension system? I had seen the triangular hardware and thought that it might work with our guest room so anyone who would prefer a hammock instead of a bed would have the choice to do so and easily adjust their hang if they are not comfortable with knots in the middle of the night.

Thoughts?

Mods: I'm not sure if this is allowed (additional 40% off and free shipping over $100 code GYZ0665S for May 4 only) This is a code I got from subscribing to be spammed by their email system every few days. I do not receive anything from posting this. Just wanted to pass along any saving along if anyone is interested.

Hammock
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Does anyone have any experience with the La Siesta brand brightly coloured cotton Colombian/Brazilian hammocks? I was wondering how colourfast they usually are? I'm thinking of putting one of the cotton ones up in the guest room and would definitely not want my guests to have colour transfer on to their PJs.
    Last edited by leemur; 05-11-2015 at 13:08. Reason: Clarification

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad, for now
    Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie
    So, I noticed you haven't received a response to your questions. People on this forum are VERY helpful and kind, and respond to reasonable questions that they can answer within hours, normally. I would like you to get help and have a good experience here, so I'm going to try to make some suggestions for how you might get a better result.

First, I wanted to suggest that if a hammock is a full foot shorter than one you find comfortable, that should be a source for serious concern. Length and width are the main factors in allowing you to get a good, comfortable diagonal lay. Notice you've already determined the wider double is more comfortable for you (assuming no hanging issues - people use a ridgeline or other methods to determine the correct hang angle, usually considered 30*). Research hang angle to start, then figure out if that helps with the GTUL to determine if it is you or the hammock. Of course, by definition an ultralight hammock is trying to include as little fabric as possible for weight savings, unlike the double, which is designed for comfort and space. It should be somewhat obvious that you have to sacrifice comfort to reduce weight, which may be why the UL isn't comfy for you. Definitely don't buy something even shorter!

To understand, imagine the gathered end was 2 inches from your head. Would that be comfortable? No way. It would poke you and be all bunched up. Imagine 8 inches. Still going to experience some squishing from behind/on the sides.

It also sounds like you are getting these for other people (likely of varying sizes) to use. A long, wide hammock is clearly the best choice, because it will be as comfortable as possible for the most people, and won't cost much more. Weight savings aren't a huge advantage for a hammock you are thinking about hanging IN YOUR HOUSE. Weight savings is for people who plan to hike many miles a day with their hammock.

If you look around this forum (search for the brand names you mentioned plus look around for others) you will see there are many opinions on various brands already. On top of that, this is more a forum about camping hammocks. Most people aren't buying hammocks for their guestrooms. How would anyone know the colorfastness of a non-specific hammock from multiple different countries with no brand name? That's like asking someone if all T-Shirts from Guatemala and Mexico are colorfast! I bet some hammocks from Brazil and/or Colombia are colorfast. Others, maybe not. That's kind of an incredibly broad, impossible-to-answer query.

So that's probably one reason why no one has responded to you. They either don't have experience with these brands, or they think many of your questions could have been answered with a small amount of research on your part, plus they know the forum members routinely recommend inexpensive vendors that are higher quality than those, and very comfortable (Dutchware, BIAS). A few moments of research would probably go a long way to helping you answer many of your questions, and then craft appropriate questions that the members here can actually help you answer.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've seen hammocks by La Siesta in our Costco lately. Chillax hammock by La Siesta. $46. I was half tempted to grab one just for kicks and see what they were like. Then the logical side of my brain kicked in...I picked one up...it was heavy. All I could think was "I could get a Dutch hammock for that price and really like it...". So I've never gotten one...they're too pricey, imo. That's usually how I shop for camping gear... "This one made in China orrrrr an item of the same price (roughly) that's made in North America." For that price I could get 2 Grand Trunk ultralites from Amazon if I really wanted something made in China.

I've discussed them with friends a bit...but I don't know anyone who's grabbed one from Costco yet.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Had to go look them up...These ones?
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sin...colorFamily=04

It says that they are made in India. I'm not sure if that's any different than China. But ya...looks like the ones I saw at Costco.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The website says it weighs 1lb 12oz. That must be some fairly thick material if that's accurate. I like parachute nylon hammocks such as my ENO hammock but it's only used for backyard or day hikes. There are lighter cheaper options especially if you will be packing it somewhere. Dutchware or BIAS are a couple of alternatives. Funny that the weight rating is so precise...396lbs vs the more rounded 400lbs that ENO states.
    Last edited by Bubba; 05-11-2015 at 12:50.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Hi and thanks for the replies

Yes, the same ones in Costco. Unfortunately they only had them up to see and not to try. I like the tropical colours; I've been looking at slideshows such as this all winter.... I also feel a bit anti-social when there's only 1 hammock up so wanted to put more up around the house, porch and yard so everyone (or at least more than one) can hang/lounge/sleep/nap in a hammock. Everyone's looking at that single hammock in the room/porch and wanting to be in it anyways.

I do have an amsteel 7/64 ARL whoopie I made from instructions (Opie's?) I found on the forum . I've been experimenting with it on both my current GT hammocks to try and find that elusive sweet spot. Thank you also for the tip on the length, I'm a short person so I wasn't sure what combination of length, width, material would be work best for me. Most comments on hammock size that I've read are from people who are 6'+. Thanks also for the reminder that a guest bed/lounger is better bigger and longer to fit people of different sizes.

As for the colourfast question, I was referring to the La Siesta branded cotton hammocks specifically not random Colombian/Brazilian hammocks I emailed the manufacturer but have yet to hear from from them so was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of their products. Their website claims that they design the pattern and weave of all their hammocks so I was assuming some consistency across their line.

Maybe I should have divided the post up and posted in different sections to be more relevant, but as all my current questions are on La Siesta hammocks (cotton and nylon versions) that were on sale I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad, for now
    Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by leemur View Post
    Hi and thanks for the replies

Yes, the same ones in Costco. Unfortunately they only had them up to see and not to try. I like the tropical colours; I've been looking at slideshows such as this all winter.... I also feel a bit anti-social when there's only 1 hammock up so wanted to put more up around the house, porch and yard so everyone (or at least more than one) can hang/lounge/sleep/nap in a hammock. Everyone's looking at that single hammock in the room/porch and wanting to be in it anyways.

I do have an amsteel 7/64 ARL whoopie I made from instructions (Opie's?) I found on the forum . I've been experimenting with it on both my current GT hammocks to try and find that elusive sweet spot. Thank you also for the tip on the length, I'm a short person so I wasn't sure what combination of length, width, material would be work best for me. Most comments on hammock size that I've read are from people who are 6'+. Thanks also for the reminder that a guest bed/lounger is better bigger and longer to fit people of different sizes.

As for the colourfast question, I was referring to the La Siesta branded cotton hammocks specifically not random Colombian/Brazilian hammocks I emailed the manufacturer but have yet to hear from from them so was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of their products. Their website claims that they design the pattern and weave of all their hammocks so I was assuming some consistency across their line.

Maybe I should have divided the post up and posted in different sections to be more relevant, but as all my current questions are on La Siesta hammocks (cotton and nylon versions) that were on sale I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post?
    Don't apologize - that makes perfect sense. I just didn't understand that you were still referring to that brand. Maybe edit the post just to help anyone trying to answer, just in case! It's all about you giving them enough info to respond well.

I seem to remember Hummingbird hammocks having a lot of bright colors. There are a bunch of manufacturers that do fun colors - even Dutchware has a cool purple and some others.

Anyone think of any other brands the OP should check out for bright tropical colors?

Sounds like a good look, btw. I like your style!

Hammock
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Aw. Thank you. I just tried to update my second post. The system wouldn't let me update the original post.

I really like the look and atmosphere of a hammock shop where they have a bunch of different hammocks set up for anyone to hang in. Funds (and space) to complete my ideal hammock space are limited so I'll have to pace myself.

I just looked at hummingbird hammocks. Thanks for the recommendation.

I know GT has a variety of colours and prints but I'm also going for different styles which is what drew me to the La Siesta sale in the first place. I wasn't ignoring the cottage vendors.

Hammock
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    I just couldn't resist the colours so I bought the turquoise Single (same as the ones in Costco), and also the Double in fuschia. The Single is turquoise with a chocolate brown border trim and the Double has the reverse colours where the main body of the hammock is chocolate brown with fuschia trim. These are triple stitched with contrast colours and are really quite stylish. I never thought that getting into a colour co-ordinated hammock that matched perfectly with my patio set would make me so happy in an I-need-an-umbrella-drink sort of way.

My first impression was that these hammocks are insanely heavy at approximately 2-lbs. Then I realized that their suspension system was also sardined in the hammock pouch. Once I pried the straps out of the pouch, the Single hammock weighed roughly under 1-lb on my analog scale.

The Single hammock is also a short 8 ft but as I'm a short person it was surprisingly OK.

I'm going to open the Double today and post a review later on both of these hammocks. My first impression of the Double is that it is a more stylish ENO at half the price on STP. The dimensions are also roughly the same.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast